2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

20 hours ago, Matt42 said:

In all honestly the reason why I have that twitter account is because the opinions of glasto twitter goers are quite different from efestival opinions. I think it’s quite interesting to see the reaction to different announcements on both sides.

Kendrick was one of the highest rated headliners here (I think when a poll was done here). But he’s not getting many votes on twitter.

Paul has steadily held 50% off of the votes, but has gone down a bit as some more people have been voting Swift.

that’s my CNN reporting but I find it interesting how broad glasto’s audience is. It’s healthy to look outside of efestivals for glasto opinions! 

Can we have a whip round to get you a John King style LCD screen with live analysis as the votes come in? 🙌

I've voted for Taylor but it's a tough one. The prospect of seeing legitimately the first hero I ever had, from the most important band in the life of my family and for so many other people, on the pointy one.. after everything we've been through... that would be quite a thing. 

I think I opted for Taylor because right now she seems the less likely of those three to return, and that is making me think "No! Can't lose Taylor!" Whereas if it looked like Paul, or Kenny were out, I'd probably have voted for them.

I know that this isn't really very helpful to your findings.

8 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I've voted for Taylor but it's a tough one. The prospect of seeing legitimately the first hero I ever had, from the most important band in the life of my family and for so many other people, on the pointy one.. after everything we've been through... that would be quite a thing. 

I think I opted for Taylor because right now she seems the less likely of those three to return, and that is making me think "No! Can't lose Taylor!" Whereas if it looked like Paul, or Kenny were out, I'd probably have voted for them.

I know that this isn't really very helpful to your findings.

The three headliners are literally my dream three, but I went for Taylor because she's currently at the very top of her game IMO. She's one of the hottest stars on the planet in the prime of her career. This is *the* moment for her. These are the moments you have to savour if you're a fan. It's Radiohead headlining in 1997 level stuff.

Not to take anything away from the other two - I think they could all put on legendary sets.

Here’s my CNN analysis of how the votes came in.

Almost instantly Paul started off with about 50% of the vote. Which he has held pretty solidly.

At the start Kendrick and Taylor were pretty much equal while Paul neared 60% of the vote.

Then gradually Taylor started gaining mail in ballots to reduce Paul’s lead... and Kendricks has now gone down to sub 20%. I wonder if it’s because he’s the most likely headliner to return at the moment?

Taylor’s vote share has gone up pretty solid since the outset and she is now in the 30% region. 

Analysis - from my incredibly small voting population, the division between the numbers has remained relatively the same.

Macca without a doubt the most popular headliner. Taylor a close second. The gap between Kendrick and Taylor pretty wide.

I can do a projection forecast that Macca will win in the end.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I'm sorry, but it has to be Paul. Ideally we can get all three, but the clock is ticking for him. Taylor and Kenny will still be just as good in ten years time

As someone who came along too late to see most of my musical heroes in their prime, including Sir Paul, if I had a gun to my head I'd rather see Taylor headlining Glasto next year for that reason - to see one of my idols in the prime of their career on the best stage in the world.

As incredible as Radiohead were in 2017, there was always that thing in the back of my mind that thought "it's not quite the same as seeing them here in '97". Taylor Swift at Glastonbury 2021 is Radiohead in 1997. It's the perfect act, at the perfect time, at the perfect place. Macca is 2 out of the 3, so pretty incredible, but Taylor is the hattrick. 

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

As someone who came along too late to see most of my musical heroes in their prime, including Sir Paul, if I had a gun to my head I'd rather see Taylor headlining Glasto next year for that reason - to see one of my idols in the prime of their career on the best stage in the world.

As incredible as Radiohead were in 2017, there was always that thing in the back of my mind that thought "it's not quite the same as seeing them here in '97". Taylor Swift at Glastonbury 2021 is Radiohead in 1997. It's the perfect act, at the perfect time, at the perfect place. Macca is 2 out of the 3, so pretty incredible, but Taylor is the hattrick. 

So interesting. Radiohead 2017 was one of my favourite sets because I was FINALLY seeing them on the pyramid. It felt like a long time of loving them coming to a head!

Taylor feels the same to me. Someone we’ve been dying to get at the festival since 2014 finally doing it. I guess Kendrick falls into that category too

I love Macca but I wasn’t there for the golden days. However, I am here for the golden days of Swift and Kenny.

Just now, Matt42 said:

So interesting. Radiohead 2017 was one of my favourite sets because I was FINALLY seeing them on the pyramid. It felt like a long time of loving them coming to a head!

Taylor feels the same to me. Someone we’ve been dying to get at the festival since 2014 finally doing it. I guess Kendrick falls into that category too

I love Macca but I wasn’t there for the golden days. However, I am here for the golden days of Swift and Kenny.

Indeed. 

I love me a good heritage act at Glastonbury, and Macca is the king of that category, but there's something magic about someone at the height of their powers. It's the same reason why I've spammed Bon Iver gigs so much over the past 5 years - it's an incredibly special experience to see someone at their creative peak.

I was really disappointed by Billie Eilish on the other stage. Her sound didn't come across particularly well when it isn't piped into headphones like ASMR. 

I don't know if it was where I was stood or my mood on the 5th day just barely getting through but she didn't do it. 

So that would be an early explore of the SE Corner if she was a headliner

Just now, Leyrulion said:

I was really disappointed by Billie Eilish on the other stage. Her sound didn't come across particularly well when it isn't piped into headphones like ASMR. 

I don't know if it was where I was stood or my mood on the 5th day just barely getting through but she didn't do it. 

So that would be an early explore of the SE Corner if she was a headliner

I think it’s pretty much the consensus that the Glastonbury set was disappointing, but to be fair to her she smashed it at the other big shows last year. Felt like just a bad day at the office, just unfortunate it was a very high profile one. 

56 minutes ago, jparx said:

I think it’s pretty much the consensus that the Glastonbury set was disappointing, but to be fair to her she smashed it at the other big shows last year. Felt like just a bad day at the office, just unfortunate it was a very high profile one. 

Saw her at Reading last year  - massive crowd, but thought it was rather dull to say the least.  Seriously, I really can’t see what the hype is about.  Spotify numbers say she is huge, but is that really how we measure things now?  Wouldn’t be rushing to see her again.

56 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Saw her at Reading last year  - massive crowd, but thought it was rather dull to say the least.  Seriously, I really can’t see what the hype is about.  Spotify numbers say she is huge, but is that really how we measure things now?  Wouldn’t be rushing to see her again.

I'm of the opinion that its more about the fantastic production, not really made for live performances. A studio artist.

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I really need some closure on this. Because Dua is way too big to headline the other stage. The decision between her and Macca is painful.

Obviously I want Taylor to be there, but if she wasn’t and we got Dua as a replacement headliner I’d be pretty down with that. Obviously not on the same level, but a set full of bangers nonetheless, and the removal of what is indeed a shitty clash.