2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

Very late to the record organisation chat, but this is how I did mine while I had them (currently they are waiting to be shipped to Aus).

• Pop and rock, bandname/surname A to Z, then chronological
  • Pop and rock compilations / various artists, sorted by label then chronological
  • Classical, composer surname A to Z 
  • Jazz, bandname/surname A to Z then chronological
  • Funk, soul and motown, broken down into:
    • Motown, bandname/surname A to Z then chronological
    • Motown compilations by chronology (although I put all of the Motown chartbusters in sequence)
    • Funk and soul artists, by bandname/surname A to Z then chronological
    • Funk and soul compilations, by label then chronological (Northern soul compilations had their own mini-section within this)
  • Soundtrack by name of film
  • Other - a few records that didn't seem to fit anywhere, can't for the life of me remember what they were now but I think there was an easy listening compilation. 

I stopped buying so many when the vinyl revival kicked off and the second hand market went crazy, but I had enough to breakdown by genre. I could probably have eeked out a dance section, although admittedly it would almost entirely be 90s dance and where do you draw the line with some artists (Portishead, Prodigy). I swear I'm missing a category, but having not seen them for over a year I can't think of it. The order of the genres was entirely determined by where there the right amount of space on the shelves. 

I miss my records :(

My record collection is perfectly organised. I recognised how obsessive this was and so for a while just allowed it to go random, but ended up wasting so much time hunting out records I wanted to listen to that it became annoying, so since then have been back to a proper order.

• Rock/Pop/Soul/Metal etc by Artist, then chronology
  • Jazz, by Artist then chronology
  • Compilations. A bit random, but all Nows and Hits grouped together.
  • Soundtracks, by title of film (although this is problematic when you have a soundtrack by one popular artist - eg. does Blade Runner go in soundtracks or with the other Vangelis, is Last Christmas a soundtrack album or a George Michael compilation).
  • Box sets
  • 12" singles
  • 7" singles

And yes, the 2nd hand market has gone big recently. I used to do so well at charity shops (a near mint Quadrophenia for £4. Both GNR illusions for £4 each. 3 classic Prince LPs for £1 each). those were the days.