2021 Headliners

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

if they don’t happen next year, they may never happen again

Agree with the whole post except for this bit. 

To suggest that there will never be opera again is a bit ridiculous. What's likely is that the current operators might not be running them and what's left will be picked up by rich investors looking for a return. (Which to be clear is not a good thing!) But there will definitely be theatres, opera and festivals again we just don't know what year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Agree with the whole post except for this bit. 

To suggest that there will never be opera again is a bit ridiculous. What's likely is that the current operators might not be running them and what's left will be picked up by rich investors looking for a return. (Which to be clear is not a good thing!) But there will definitely be theatres, opera and festivals again we just don't know what year.

Agreed. I guess from the stance of someone working within an industry of entertainment it is a worry of that prospect though.

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

*citation needed

Look at the case rise since mask wearing. Just recently we hit the highest number of cases in a day. There is now more tests being done and thus the increase of deaths is creaping up again too. But that's my opinion. I fully agree social distancing is needed but as someone who has asthma I find the mask will work against it and scientists have referenced the use of them putting health at risk. I mean where are we breathing into etc with both airways blocked?

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

But that's my opinion.

Cool, so it isn't what the statistics show.

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Look at the case rise since mask wearing. Just recently we hit the highest number of cases in a day.

I'd say that this was probably due to the opening up of restrictions not mask wearing, who is to say how much worse it would be without them.

6 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I mean where are we breathing into etc with both airways blocked?

It is hard not to be condescending when you say something this ignorant. You are breathing through the mask, the mask is to stop the droplets that you are breathing out not the air, an air tight mask would suficate you pretty quickly.

32 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Cool, so it isn't what the statistics show.

Well yes it is. But I'm still allowed an opinion.

I'd say that this was probably due to the opening up of restrictions not mask wearing, who is to say how much worse it would be without them.

I agree they are both affecting it myself. I fully agree that pubs etc should shut and Boris is just delaying it all again like he originally did being an arse.

It is hard not to be condescending when you say something this ignorant. You are breathing through the mask, the mask is to stop the droplets that you are breathing out not the air, an air tight mask would suficate you pretty quickly.

So when I'm breathing and speaking which then gradually sucks the mask towarda my mouth and off of my nose I'm not allowed to have an opinion on that when I already have a health condition that is respiratory? I think it's more the ignorance from yourself for failing to see how that could be the case.

23 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Whole point of the mask is not to be air tight anyway, and it doesn't effect your breathing with asthma. There are plenty of doctors/nurses with asthma that have to wear plenty more restrictive PPE for their whole work day and are fine with it. Sure its a bit uncomfortable having the air blow back at your face - deal with it. Didn't think I'd have to do this on this forum but here we go.

There are 3 main ways that Covid spreads:

1) you touch something that has been contaminated and then touch your nose/mouth (high risk)

2) someone projectiles it at you when they cough/sneeze/talk whatever (medium risk)

3) you catch it through contaminated droplets in the air (low risk)

Wearing a mask helps stops the first 2 forms of transmission. It provides a physical barrier so you can't touch your nose/mouth even if you wanted to, admittedly if people were efficient at handwashing this wouldn't be necessary. It also provides a barrier so that when you sneeze you don't spray anything onto anyone else. This is why it there was the confusion going around at the start as this benefit only really counts if people who are infected are wearing masks - but really its nice to have anyway, no one likes being sneezed on.... Arguably the third best reason for facemasks is the PR aspect of it. Going out and seeing everyone wearing a mask provokes a lot more of an "oh shit, this is the real deal and I have to be careful" rather than everyone just going back to normal how it was prepandemic, even though Corona is still at large.

One thing this mask won't do is stop the third method of transmission, however the risk is very low (especially if you are outside or in a well ventilated space with a high ach). To protect against this you need to have a proper N95 mask or better, which should be reserved for NHS staff who desperately need it. You can afford to not meet inside in big groups, it doesn't really work if you can only have 6 people in a surgery....

Edited by Mattymooz

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

But I'm still allowed an opinion.

I'm not sure if the existence of statistics that prove masks don't work is a matter of opinion.

I objected to you saying the statistics show masks don't work because there are no such statistics, all you've pointed to is a rise in cases since the introduction of compulsory masks which as I say is much more to do with easing restrictions we have no data for where we'd be with the same easing of restrictions without masks.

You are of course welcome to your opinion that they are ineffective, I find your point that people may be over confident whilst wearing one more convincing than the idea that you can't breathe in them( I've worn one for 8 hour shifts and whilst it isn't as comfortable as not wearing one you can certainly breathe.)

What I am saying is wrong is your suggestion that there is proof they don't work.

7 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Whole point of the mask is not to be air tight anyway, and it doesn't effect your breathing with asthma. There are plenty of doctors/nurses with asthma that have to wear plenty more restrictive PPE for their whole work day and are fine with it. Sure its a bit uncomfortable having the air blow back at your face - deal with it. Didn't think I'd have to do this on this forum but here we go.

There are 3 main ways that Covid spreads:

1) you touch something that has been contaminated and then touch your nose/mouth (high risk)

2) someone projectiles it at you when they cough/sneeze/talk whatever (medium risk)

3) you catch it through contaminated droplets in the air (low risk)

Wearing a mask helps stops the first 2 forms of transmission. It provides a physical barrier so you can't touch your nose/mouth even if you wanted to, admittedly if people were efficient at handwashing this wouldn't be necessary. It also provides a barrier so that when you sneeze you don't spray anything onto anyone else. This is why it there was the confusion going around at the start as this benefit only really counts if people who are infected are wearing masks - but really its nice to have anyway, no one likes being sneezed on.... Arguably the third best reason for facemasks is the PR aspect of it. Going out and seeing everyone wearing a mask provokes a lot more of an "oh shit, this is the real deal and I have to be careful" rather than everyone just going back to normal how it was prepandemic, even though Corona is still at large.

One thing this mask won't do is stop the third method of transmission, however the risk is very low (especially if you are outside or in a well ventilated space with a high ach). To protect against this you need to have a proper N95 mask or better, which should be reserved for NHS staff who desperately need it. You can afford to not meet inside in big groups, it doesn't really work if you can only have 6 people in a surgery....

This is my point. If people did what they were supposed to all the time then there wouldn't be a need. Even if a lot are wearing masks, the one's that are not nor following hygiene and self distancing measures are going against that process anyway.

6 hours ago, mcshed said:

I'm not sure if the existence of statistics that prove masks don't work is a matter of opinion.

I objected to you saying the statistics show masks don't work because there are no such statistics, all you've pointed to is a rise in cases since the introduction of compulsory masks which as I say is much more to do with easing restrictions we have no data for where we'd be with the same easing of restrictions without masks.

You are of course welcome to your opinion that they are ineffective, I find your point that people may be over confident whilst wearing one more convincing than the idea that you can't breathe in them( I've worn one for 8 hour shifts and whilst it isn't as comfortable as not wearing one you can certainly breathe.)

What I am saying is wrong is your suggestion that there is proof they don't work.

Yeah the ineffective is probably closer to it.

20 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Wanted to cop this in here for your opinion from a friends Facebook post. The person I know is a Film/TV Composer Agent.

I don’t know if audience’s really understand how dire the situation is for millions of hard-working professionals.
Broadway is closed until 2021, 6 West End venues THINK they can open at the moment. Cirque du Soleil is filing for bankruptcy and cut 3500+ jobs. Feld Entertainment laid off 90% of its workforce permanently. Live Nation had to lay off a significant amount of employees. Cruise ship entertainers are out of work and theme park productions have no idea when they will be recalled. There are no concerts, festivals or touring productions scheduled until 2021 and if they don’t happen next year, they may never happen again. No Jazz Fest, no Coachella, no Bonnaroo, no EDC, no Glastonbury, no Download, no ROLLING STONES FINAL TOUR(S), no ballet, no opera....all gone.
It’s being predicted that 90% of independent music venues may close, the longer this continues.
Performing arts and music organisations of all kinds- choirs, theatres, orchestras, dance companies , festivals, music venues, not to mention all the technical suppliers and freelancers - all are trying to figure out on a daily basis how to keep going and employ anyone they can in the field.
More than 12,000,000 people work in entertainment production, we are not insignificant and this industry cannot reopen until mass gatherings can happen again.
This doesn’t include the additional layoff of venue management and bar staff, security and thousands of vendors.
So when you see your entertainment friends begging you to wear masks and stay home, understand that we are helplessly watching our industry crumble before our eyes because the country is doing so poorly at reducing the spread. This IS personal for us, our entire livelihood is dependent on social gathering and we will not accept being labeled “nonessential”.
Music and art are critical to a cheerful, balanced society.
Everyone’s career and the whole industry is indefinitely on hold. PLEASE wear your mask (over your mouth AND your nose) and wash your hands.

the effect onto live music is brutal, and will have lots of bad effects.

But I disagree with the idea that if festivals don't happen next year they won't happen again. That will be true for some, but won't be for others.

Music venues will close - maybe even the 90% they say (I've no idea) - but I also think plenty will re-open down the line although perhaps under different ownership. When things go back to normal the desire for live music will return and people will be confident to take the risk with venues, etc.

The disruption that's happening will be dreadful for the individuals concerned and I hope they quickly find a way forwards for themselves.

At the same time, the disruption is also an opportunity. I often feel the music biz is too much of a cosy club where opportunities for outsiders is limited. Lots of people will perhaps leave the industry but that creates openings for people who wouldn't have got in otherwise.  When things are back to normal, new people and fresh ideas will hopefully create a new vibrancy.

18 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Live Nation is the interesting one as it's the promoter you just don't expect to see in trouble. 

they appeared to have a major cashflow problem at the start of lockdown, but some big loans and a big investment (at a bargain price) from the Saudis appear to have sorted them out. They should be more than fine overall.

I'm guessing, but they might lose influence over some acts, as some of the staff they've lost might setup to handle/represent those acts.

When music bounces back - and it will - then it's going to be boom time for live music. Every act is queued up waiting to tour with audiences desperate to see them, and I can't see the public griping about a hike in prices because they'll understand why it's needed.

If Live Nation isn't there to cash in, someone else will be.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

they appeared to have a major cashflow problem at the start of lockdown, but some big loans and a big investment (at a bargain price) from the Saudis appear to have sorted them out. They should be more than fine overall.

I'm guessing, but they might lose influence over some acts, as some of the staff they've lost might setup to handle/represent those acts.

When music bounces back - and it will - then it's going to be boom time for live music. Every act is queued up waiting to tour with audiences desperate to see them, and I can't see the public griping about a hike in prices because they'll understand why it's needed.

If Live Nation isn't there to cash in, someone else will be.

Shall we form an eFestivals Glastonbury Chat Forum promotion company? Who is in?

PJ are now playing the Friday and Saturday at BST, the Saturday was the Tay day. Unless BST have done 7 dates before which I am not aware of. Taylor is the only out of the six headliners not to announce dates for 2021 yet which lead me to believe that all return except Taylor with PJ taking the Saturday unless I have missed information on Swifty. 

Edited by Slugy

48 minutes ago, Slugy said:

PJ are now playing the Friday and Saturday at BST, the Saturday was the Tay day. Unless BST have done 7 dates before which I am not aware of. Taylor is the only out of the six headliners not to announce dates for 2021 yet which lead me to believe that all return except Taylor with PJ taking the Saturday unless I have missed information on Swifty. 

Does make sense but I guess there is always the chance that Taylor could do glasto as a one off.

I think it’s hella unlikely but you never know.

I don’t think Taylor will be ruled out of Glastonbury until we have all three headliners confirmed. She’s keeping her plans very close to her chest and I can really see now her just doing some very select shows, and certainly not a full, or even medium size tour. She’s probably one of the most cautious headline artists at the minute. She could well do Glastonbury as a one off or part of a very small run, or do nothing at all.

Personally I don’t think she does anything next year aside from some very specific one offs, Award show type things.