2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t want to derail and talk about Arcade Fire but I think they’ve clearly gone past the point where they have wide appeal. I just can’t see it happening again, I think they will probably move to headlining mid sized festivals like APE. If they return to glasto I reckon it will be as a secret set.

Killers are mainstream though. I don’t see the parallel at all.

This is the way I'd see it happening. A secret set that goes off, much like it did for The Killers, which is enough to put them back into the headliner conversation.

18 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

This is the way I'd see it happening. A secret set that goes off, much like it did for The Killers, which is enough to put them back into the headliner conversation.

More likely to go the Foals route and have a secret set that goes off only to not be invited back the following year due to them not fitting in to the lineup.

Agree that Arcade Fire are just not headlining at the moment. They weren't a massive booking originally by any means and they've slipped further from mainstream consciousness. 

This is no insult to the band - there's just lots of others that are either just bigger (fill stadiums or newish and deserve the chance that haven't headlined yet. 

2 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

Agree that Arcade Fire are just not headlining at the moment. They weren't a massive booking originally by any means and they've slipped further from mainstream consciousness. 

This is no insult to the band - there's just lots of others that are either just bigger (fill stadiums or newish and deserve the chance that haven't headlined yet. 

I love how we can’t talk honestly about a bands popularity without pissing off the stans. We have to apologise for talking facts.

2 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

The night that included that AF set was possibly my favourite of all those I've had on the farm. I do agree that the success of their next album will define what size festivals they'll be playing. They're not big enough to release dross/middle of the road material and get away with it.

I would say they are.

They’ve never had widespread appeal, that’s why people were saying they’d never headline before they did - but they have a huge core away from the super-mainstream. Don’t see why they can’t be like The Cure and be a mainly critical thing for years to come and still headline crowds regardless.

I might be wrong but they don’t seem like a band where folk will go “I remember them. Are they still going? Bloody hell”. Who’s replacing them at the top of the pile for that sort of indie rock stuff? Car Seat Headrest?

34 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I love how we can’t talk honestly about a bands popularity without pissing off the stans. We have to apologise for talking facts.

Do you always have to celebrate someone agreeing with you by denouncing any opposing arguments like a massive helmet?

Edited by dentalplan

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Who’s replacing them at the top of the pile for that sort of indie rock stuff? Car Seat Headrest?

Well that’s just the thing - that sort of indie rock isn’t exactly in high demand anymore and hip hop, pop etc is hence why the top of major festival lineups look pretty damn different to ten years ago when AF were headlining Reading/Leeds. They haven’t been replaced or maintained their hype because people outside of their indie fans have largely moved on. If Glastonbury goes down that road any time soon, Arctic Monkeys are the better bet for a thinking mans indie headliner. Outside of them releasing a brilliant new album that gets people re-interested, APE and the like seem far more in AF’s ballpark now. 

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Well that’s just the thing - that sort of indie rock isn’t exactly in high demand anymore and hip hop, pop etc is hence why the top of major festival lineups look pretty damn different to ten years ago when AF were headlining Reading/Leeds. They haven’t been replaced or maintained their hype because people outside of their indie fans have largely moved on. If Glastonbury goes down that road any time soon, Arctic Monkeys are the better bet for a thinking mans indie headliner. Outside of them releasing a brilliant new album that gets people re-interested, APE and the like seem far more in AF’s ballpark now. 

Fair but I guess I just don’t think they’ve been edged out by anyone. Like they’re going to be handed down to generations much like REM, Pulp, The Cure, have been and their live shows will keep bringing people back. They may be done for R+L but their fans should keep going to Glastonbury. It’s kinda like my opinion on The Strokes, although one is much more likely to actually nail a headline set so wouldn’t be an embarrassment.

I wouldn’t argue against them headlining All Points East either because that is their sort of festival, but it is still a 40k capacity event and there aren’t many headliners filling those up. Arcade Fire would probably sell it quite quickly so I don’t think it’s a Glasto headliner’s death.

A few years ago I couldn't have imagined that The Cure or The Killers would headline again, but they both have and the latter seemed to have turned into a stadium-shagging behemoth since then (I know they'd previously played stadiums, but the 2020 stadium sold out in no-time). So I wouldn't rule Arcade Fire out just yet, even though they're not as big as either of those.

3 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

Isn't it the other way round? Everything Now is their only song that's getting airplay outside of alternative radio stations. It's only since Everything Now that my mother knows about Arcade Fire. (A bit similar to when Killers released Human and getting played on pop radio)

32 minutes ago, priest17 said:

We should be looking to bring some of the top ones from the past 10 years back to be honest. Everytime anyone thinks Muse should do it again, just replace it with Metallica.

Yeah them too, although they seem to be going through some trouble recently.

Kasabian and Florence and the Machine get mentioned as being off the list now too because of having not stepped up since last time. Obviously Kasabian potentially are off the list now but before they imploded there was nothing stopping them and Florence and the Machine have been quietly accepted back into the convo because of info. The festival just isn’t replacing headliners at that high a rate to rule out able headliners of years gone by.

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Must you talk such divisive bollocks? No one including me was getting pissed off about a discussion about Arcade Fire’s size. 

The only war that’s going on is inside your head. 

41 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Nothing much to add on whether they will/won’t headline again, it’s all been covered, but.....

The last tour was out of this world.

I'm not sure what the other setlists were like but this run to end the main set was sensational:

Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
The Suburbs
The Suburbs (Continued)
Ready to Start
Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)
Reflektor
Afterlife
Creature Comfort
Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)

It helps that so many of their songs lead into each other live but I think that was the fastest 45-50 minutes I've ever had at a gig. So much fun. I don't think there's a better live band around at the moment. 

Edited by kingcrawler
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

I'm not sure what the other setlists were like but this run to end the main set was sensational:

Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
The Suburbs
The Suburbs (Continued)
Ready to Start
Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)
Reflektor
Afterlife
Creature Comfort
Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)

It helps that so many of their songs lead into each other live but I think that was the fastest 45-50 minutes I've ever had at a gig. So much fun. I don't think there's a better live band around at the moment. 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/arcade-fire/2018/the-sse-arena-wembley-london-england-5bec8ffc.html

I had this. Sublime.

As you said, the fact their songs blend into one another means we just didn’t stop dancing, it was a non-stop party.

This on The Pyramid would be an all time classic.