2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

If Lorde releases another record at the level of Melodrama, I think she’s right there personally. Yeah she’s not Taylor Swift, but not every headliner will be. Don’t think there would be much difference between Lorde headlining on a 3rd record and Florence in 2015. Granted that was a bump up, but she could have headlined outright regardless.

I might be wrong, but I predict the headliner criteria will be widened moving forward and people of the level of Lorde will be getting the shots.

Obviously if the 3rd album is a stinker it doesn’t matter, but I doubt it will be.

32 minutes ago, jparx said:

If Lorde releases another record at the level of Melodrama, I think she’s right there personally. Yeah she’s not Taylor Swift, but not every headliner will be. Don’t think there would be much difference between Lorde headlining on a 3rd record and Florence in 2015. Granted that was a bump up, but she could have headlined outright regardless.

I might be wrong, but I predict the headliner criteria will be widened moving forward and people of the level of Lorde will be getting the shots.

Obviously if the 3rd album is a stinker it doesn’t matter, but I doubt it will be.

As much as I love Lorde I think this is fan goggles. Critical acclaim doesn’t always make a headliner. I do think in terms of female headliners in the future they have quite a few choices before considering Lorde.

Also she played a big but not top billing slot at APE last time she played. I don’t think she’s on the route to headliner at all in my view.

considering how private she is as a person and in her career I don’t think she’s trying to be a worldwide headliner. I think she didn’t enjoy a lot of the success she got from Royals and she prefers to do things a bit more ‘small scale’.

In terms of first time female headliners on their priority list I reckon Lorde would somehow have to overtake

Taylor Swift (obviously)
Lady Gaga
Madonna
Fleetwood Mac (if that counts)
Billie Eilish
Ariana Grande

and the potential Florence or even Adele being back wanting another shot before Lorde would get priority for the top spot.

I also have a hunch that Billie and/or Ariana have agreed to headline on their next tour. Ariana doesn’t seem to be touring in 2021 so I think Ariana could have first dibs on 2022.

I think Ariana could have been a contender for a headliner in the frame for 2021 which has pushed their tour back to 2022.

Ariana told a fan she was taking a break from touring in 2020. Then obviously COVID happened so her fans think she’s extending that break through 2021 as well.

Would put her in a good place to headline 2022. Blur and Ariana being two of the headliners sounds great. You LOVE to see it 💓 

50 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Also she played a big but not top billing slot at APE last time she played. I don’t think she’s on the route to headliner at all in my view.

Yeah. Primavera headliner in waiting tho.

e: tho wait she did that in 2018 didn't she. Saw her at Porto and all. Memory like a sieve.

Edited by Tuna

6 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

It was a bit of a hit but not nearly as big as Royals, even though it was definitely the more obvious ‘banger’ and I expected it to be huge at the time. 

I think she’ll continue have moderate hits but nothing that’s ever gonna bother the upper reaches of any charts imo. She cemented her place in the indie pantheon so quickly that she’s pretty much got free reign on where she goes next so I wouldn’t be surprised to see her get weird with her music, or equally just go full banger-fest. Looking forward to it.

I'm still honestly shocked that the Homemade Dynamite Remix wasn't huge. How a song in 2016 that featured Post Malone, Khalid and Sza didnt get a lot of traction I'll never understand....

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

In terms of first time female headliners on their priority list I reckon Lorde would somehow have to overtake

Taylor Swift (obviously)
Lady Gaga
Madonna
Fleetwood Mac (if that counts)
Billie Eilish
Ariana Grande

and the potential Florence or even Adele being back wanting another shot before Lorde would get priority for the top spot.

I also have a hunch that Billie and/or Ariana have agreed to headline on their next tour. Ariana doesn’t seem to be touring in 2021 so I think Ariana could have first dibs on 2022.

I think Ariana could have been a contender for a headliner in the frame for 2021 which has pushed their tour back to 2022.

I take on your points but I still stand by everything I’ve said. 

And part of the equation is your list up there ^. Glastonbury probably ain’t securing many of those. Mac, Madonna and Grande seem way out there. Especially given how much the finances will have been hammered. We may be looking at a couple years of “cheaper” lineups, and certainly not throwing the money at someone like Madonna. Lorde would be a far easier and cheaper booking to make, and IF the new album does well I don’t think it would look massively out of place.

Again, I’m not looking at it now. It’s dependent on that new record. She has all the makings of a headliner and I personally think the new record bangs and puts her in contention.

The headline pool is getting a bit stale and I’d love to see Glastonbury lead the charge in shaking it up. There are so many acts out there who would smash a headline slot, but because they aren’t selling out stadiums they are dismissed. They’ve been desperate to secure acts of a certain level and that’s why we’ve ended up with uninspired bookings like Muse and The Killers (although they were ace). I’d have Friday night as the “act who will nail it, is critically acclaimed but not a huge headliner” night. Spice the whole thing up, give acts a leg up and take some chances. Stormzy worked, Kendrick is obviously big enough but he also kinda fits the mould, now let’s carry it on. Dua Lipa would be good next year, and Lorde the year after on the 3rd album tour.

But hey, got us talking about something other than whether the festival goes ahead!

3 hours ago, jparx said:

I take on your points but I still stand by everything I’ve said. 

And part of the equation is your list up there ^. Glastonbury probably ain’t securing many of those. Mac, Madonna and Grande seem way out there. Especially given how much the finances will have been hammered. We may be looking at a couple years of “cheaper” lineups, and certainly not throwing the money at someone like Madonna. Lorde would be a far easier and cheaper booking to make, and IF the new album does well I don’t think it would look massively out of place.

Again, I’m not looking at it now. It’s dependent on that new record. She has all the makings of a headliner and I personally think the new record bangs and puts her in contention.

Now this is an interesting point, not just in terms of the artists names above but in the wider context. Given that festivals, punters, artists and everyone will be feeling the pinch in the next year or so will we see artists who may previously have been too expensive lower their prices? I know the likes of Madge can afford to never lift another finger for the rest of their lives but if they want to get out and perform then they won’t be able to justify the massive fees they charge anymore. Would she, or the Mac, suddenly see the benefit in taking a lower fee and shifting a few thousand extra albums off the back of their performance?

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Now this is an interesting point, not just in terms of the artists names above but in the wider context. Given that festivals, punters, artists and everyone will be feeling the pinch in the next year or so will we see artists who may previously have been too expensive lower their prices? I know the likes of Madge can afford to never lift another finger for the rest of their lives but if they want to get out and perform then they won’t be able to justify the massive fees they charge anymore. Would she, or the Mac, suddenly see the benefit in taking a lower fee and shifting a few thousand extra albums off the back of their performance?

My hunch is that festivals will be strapped for cash and those artists will stick to playing stadiums. I think it’s more likely festivals end up with smaller stature/cheaper headliners than the expensive acts lower their prices, personally.

Those acts can still play stadiums and fleece people on the golden circle type tickets.

13 minutes ago, jparx said:

My hunch is that festivals will be strapped for cash and those artists will stick to playing stadiums. I think it’s more likely festivals end up with smaller stature/cheaper headliners than the expensive acts lower their prices, personally.

Those acts can still play stadiums and fleece people on the golden circle type tickets.

Although there's also the fact that - for the most part - the promoters & producers capable of putting on those stadium shows (especially when you're talking about acts that are signing international deals) are the same few companies who have large festivals to book.

Live Nation are allegedly hurting for cash either way - it may well affect the budgets at their festivals, but it's equally likely to affect the guarantees they can afford to play when booking acts into Wembley etc - meaning more of the risk falls onto the act - someone well placed (possibly John Giddings?) has said that in pretty much as many words in an interview or one of those panel discussions. From that perspective festivals may be a safer bet especially with if there's any uncertainty over being able to sell out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Glastonbury has become THE festival to play if you’re in the music industry. We’ve transitioned from the zeitgeist not giving a shit to pretty much anyone with a following wanting to play. That won’t go away. Pandemic or not.

I’m not convinced with this smaller headline talk. I think it’s slightly misunderstood.

By smaller headliners I think it means taking a chance on a newbie. Not someone a few years into their career.

Smaller headliners to me sounds more like your Billie Eilish / Dave type not Lorde who has had her moment in the spot light.

1 hour ago, PolygonWindow said:

Apologies - of course it didn’t get missed 😂

what’s the general consensus re Glasto after this?

Gotta be a good bet he’s back. A lot of other festivals who had him this year have released their lineups without him which could throw some doubt in to it, but with Glastonbury not having announced yet + that festival being right afterwards, I’d be surprised (and pissed) if he’s not there now. 

18 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Gotta be a good bet he’s back. A lot of other festivals who had him this year have released their lineups without him which could throw some doubt in to it, but with Glastonbury not having announced yet + that festival being right afterwards, I’d be surprised (and pissed) if he’s not there now. 

Nah, if Glastonbury 2021 it's on, Kendrick is 100% there. At this stage it's the most safe headliner to return. 

Edited by AlexOvd

On 9/18/2020 at 12:51 PM, jparx said:

But you should understand that there will be artists that are willing to take a lower fee to play a festival because money is money at this point. Itll be an aberration for a year or so and then things might get back what they were. I mean thats the silver lining we should be looking at is that everyone that isnt a megastar will be hurting for money and take whats offered. What the big promoters want for the stadium gigs is guaranteed sell outs and not try out up and coming acts for that.

U2 are rumored to be planning at Zoo Tv anniversary tour for example  and thats going to likely do very well because of the success the Joshua Tree tour had. A few niche stadium tours like that will be easy money in the bank and LN et al will be willing to low ball everyone else until they get their money back. The biggest thing with LN is that theyre a publicly traded company so they have to make bolder moves to appease shareholders. 

And with one of the bigger talent agencies going under there is less of a monopoly happening with artists and how they get booked. If you look at how much control a few agencies had on festival line up you can see the handicap that the bookers have nowadays. There were always package deals to appease the agencies if somebody wanted to book one artist. So the fest would have to take on 4 or 5 other acts from their roster or else they dont let that one key act sign.  Here is how Coachella 2020’s poster was broken down by agency. Notice anything? 

410869E1-2E66-4E8A-8C19-9AC272B262CD.png

6 hours ago, Suprefan said:

But you should understand that there will be artists that are willing to take a lower fee to play a festival because money is money at this point. Itll be an aberration for a year or so and then things might get back what they were. I mean thats the silver lining we should be looking at is that everyone that isnt a megastar will be hurting for money and take whats offered. What the big promoters want for the stadium gigs is guaranteed sell outs and not try out up and coming acts for that.

U2 are rumored to be planning at Zoo Tv anniversary tour for example  and thats going to likely do very well because of the success the Joshua Tree tour had. A few niche stadium tours like that will be easy money in the bank and LN et al will be willing to low ball everyone else until they get their money back. The biggest thing with LN is that theyre a publicly traded company so they have to make bolder moves to appease shareholders. 

And with one of the bigger talent agencies going under there is less of a monopoly happening with artists and how they get booked. If you look at how much control a few agencies had on festival line up you can see the handicap that the bookers have nowadays. There were always package deals to appease the agencies if somebody wanted to book one artist. So the fest would have to take on 4 or 5 other acts from their roster or else they dont let that one key act sign.  Here is how Coachella 2020’s poster was broken down by agency. Notice anything? 

410869E1-2E66-4E8A-8C19-9AC272B262CD.png

I didn’t read the text on the post as my eyes went straight to the poster.

My first thought was “God, I am getting old. I’ve never heard of any of these. Also, why have they got the same people headlining twice?”