2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

Imagine the volume of tears there will be on site when we all get to witness the first sunset of whenever the festival is next held. Jeez man.

Some of those canoes last seen in 05' will be required to float around!

We'll need to book moorings at the ciderbus to get a pint of hot n spicey :lol:

22 minutes ago, Miyn said:

Though having a solid option each night would be a nice bonus.

Some of the best Glasto nights are the ones that happen when you don’t have any solid options! 

Ah, I miss it man. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Imagine the volume of tears there will be on site when we all get to witness the first sunset of whenever the festival is next held. Jeez man.

Some of those canoes last seen in 05' will be required to float around!

We'll need to book moorings at the ciderbus to get a pint of hot n spicey :lol:

I welled up the other day just listening to I Am The Resurrection and thinking about being in the Park for Baggy Mondays with the big crowd singalong!!

Echo the sentiment that Glastonbury is probably/hopefully in a better position than some other festivals to get Kendrick back what with them having the later announcement. Some festivals clearly felt the need to get their lineups out and not hang about for any late comer headliners that became available but here’s hoping Glastonbury still have space for him (which I’m sure they do). 

Incredibly unexpected and great news. 

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Echo the sentiment that Glastonbury is probably/hopefully in a better position than some other festivals to get Kendrick back what with them having the later announcement. Some festivals clearly felt the need to get their lineups out and not hang about for any late comer headliners that became available but here’s hoping Glastonbury still have space for him (which I’m sure they do). 

Incredibly unexpected and great news. 

My theory is seeing as most festivals were offering punters the opportunity to roll tickets over they felt they needed to get a lineup out as quickly as possible to stop cancellations and having to pay out refunds.

Given that Glastonbury never worries about releasing a lineup before selling tickets they need not concern themselves and have been to wait. 

3 hours ago, AlexOvd said:

Florence - Macca - Kendrick would be the bomb (AM for Macca in case he can't). 

Yeah, if Taylor really is out (which I won't accept defeat on just yet), and Gaga is off the table, then that looks like the best possible trio.

2 hours ago, stanh said:

could ariana grande be a possibility? may potentially have another album out by summer or at least a few single/collabs

Yes in the future but I doubt 2021.

Also I’ve been thinking.

What about a scenario where Kendrick, Paul, and AM are headlining with Florence / Dua in the equation if someone falls through? Florence was originally booked as a sub last time and she could be booked again.

I feel like Dua could be moved to a sub with a view to headline if an international act can’t come over.

7 hours ago, stanh said:

could ariana grande be a possibility? may potentially have another album out by summer or at least a few single/collabs

Not anytime soon, and after not doing that well at Coachella it kinda makes others hesitant. I think most people would be more welcome to her guesting with Gaga and nothing more for now.

We need this new Lorde record. She is right there in the headliner conversation when it comes out and I’d have her at the top of my list of fresh acts to headline. Recently picked up Melodrama on vinyl and it really is one of the top records of the decade. Watching back the Other set as well and she’s just a superstar.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, jparx said:

We need this new Lorde record. She is right there in the headliner conversation when it comes out and I’d have her at the top of my list of fresh acts to headline. Recently picked up Melodrama on vinyl and it really is one of the top records of the decade. Watching back the Other set as well and she’s just a superstar.

Agreed, album #3 should hopefully see her get the top slot!

1 hour ago, jparx said:

29 minutes ago, Johnkhutch said:

Agreed, album #3 should hopefully see her get the top slot!

Controversial take here but no chance. I am a massive Lorde fan but I see her more of a Robyn type than a top billing artist. I worry that her leaving 5+ years gaps between albums for an artist of her size is just not smart career wise. 

She has a moderate sized fanbase but outside of that I reckon a lot of people have somewhat moved on from her. If Lorde comes back she could headline other stage or maybe even JP but not the pyramid.

Shes old news but I don’t think she cares about it.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Controversial take here but no chance. I am a massive Lorde fan but I see her more of a Robyn type than a top billing artist. I worry that her leaving 5+ years gaps between albums for an artist of her size is just not smart career wise. 

She has a moderate sized fanbase but outside of that I reckon a lot of people have somewhat moved on from her. If Lorde comes back she could headline other stage or maybe even JP but not the pyramid.

Likening her future place in pop to Robyn is so accurate that it's kinda blowing my mind.

8 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Yup, agreed.

8 hours ago, Matt42 said:

She’s a critical darling more than a world dominating artist. Royals got her in the spotlight but I don’t think she’ll ever have a similar hit ever again and will instead just release (hopefully) consistently great material.

9 hours ago, jparx said:

Melodrama it's one of the albums of the decade. Brilliant. Would love Lorde 2021.

31 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

She’s a critical darling more than a world dominating artist. Royals got her in the spotlight but I don’t think she’ll ever have a similar hit ever again and will instead just release (hopefully) consistently great material.

Green Light was an enormous hit no? The songwriting is so good that she is very able to have massive pop bangers in the middle of a record and fit perfectly, so I wouldn't be so sure. Always interested in seeing what she does next. But agree I don't think she's going to be headliner sized if she keeps the 4+ years between records thing going.

1 minute ago, Tuna said:

Green Light was an enormous hit no? The songwriting is so good that she is very able to have massive pop bangers in the middle of a record and fit perfectly, so I wouldn't be so sure. Always interested in seeing what she does next. But agree I don't think she's going to be headliner sized if she keeps the 4+ years between records thing going.

It was a bit of a hit but not nearly as big as Royals, even though it was definitely the more obvious ‘banger’ and I expected it to be huge at the time. 

I think she’ll continue have moderate hits but nothing that’s ever gonna bother the upper reaches of any charts imo. She cemented her place in the indie pantheon so quickly that she’s pretty much got free reign on where she goes next so I wouldn’t be surprised to see her get weird with her music, or equally just go full banger-fest. Looking forward to it.

6 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Green Light is a great song and a fantastic lead single but it wasn’t really big with anyone who didn’t like her already.

Thats why I think the Robyn comparison is the best. I don’t think Lorde really wins over any new fans. She just tends to hold the ones she’s got pretty well.

Plus the gaps between albums I think is a big point. It’s alright if you’re Adele, Radiohead, ya da ya da because they’ve got an awful lot of people invested in their every move. Lorde is still only 2 albums deep. While her second album is probably one of my favourite albums of the decade, in sales it totally tanked.

But this is the thing. Lorde isn’t bothered about sales, so I don’t see her trying to go for a mega commercial effort with her next release either.