2021 Headliners

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

@Ddiamondd disclosure are cheap to book in terms of dance acts as headliners though

Fee might be a bit higher since theyll likely have some guests drop in. Slowthai aint doing it for free. If they somehow can get Sam Smith to get over themselves they could helicopter in for 20 minutes.

Edited by Suprefan

4 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

This has now got me thinking if Glasto will position next year's line-up as having more than 3 headliners too?

They've alluded to having multiple headline-sized acts in the past. 2019 was positioned as a top line of five, and a fourth headliner in 2009 was strongly hinted toward. 2011, in retrospect, feels like 5 of the biggest on earth (Pulp, Radiohead, Beyonce, Coldplay, U2)

I imagine the Eavises won't be against rounding up if it helps make 2021 feel all the more special on paper.

They can keep Post Maline, we’ve got Diana fucking Ross!

7 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

This has now got me thinking if Glasto will position next year's line-up as having more than 3 headliners too?

They've alluded to having multiple headline-sized acts in the past. 2019 was positioned as a top line of five, and a fourth headliner in 2009 was strongly hinted toward. 2011, in retrospect, feels like 5 of the biggest on earth (Pulp, Radiohead, Beyonce, Coldplay, U2)

I imagine the Eavises won't be against rounding up if it helps make 2021 feel all the more special on paper.

Don’t they technically do this anyway with the legend slot etc?

Janet was technically billed as a headliner for 2019 too!

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

But their last top 20 hit was in 2015, and even then that was literally #20 and carried by Sam Smith.

Camelphat, who headlined the dance tent at R+L 2019, have done better than that since, and would probably draw a similar sized crowd at any Creamfields/Hideout type house fest.

Trust me, you don't need tell me what makes a popular chart dance act, I do get that. Disclosure are definitely still popular, but almost entirely off the back of Settle, which will be eight years old when R+L 2021 comes around. They're not spring chickens –– bear in mind Justice topped West Holts when  was 10 years old, so Disclosure are entering that realm now.

ENERGY is solid, better than Caracal for sure. But for an act that has one of the strongest teams behind them, blanketing radio and streaming non-stop with a sound that is extremely mainstream-oriented, neither of the new singles cracking the top 75 is not great.

Their collab with Khalid broke the top 10 and was absolutely huge. I'm counting it because it's on the album, but get why others wouldn't. 

Admittedly I wouldn't necessarily have them as headliners, their agent HAS done them a solid there. 

I also agree that the new album doesn't necessarily flow together as a whole but there's a lot of good on there!

It doesn't come close to redefining the genre in the way settle did. But when you've got such a good first album people are going to want to go see it.

15 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

https://www.nme.com/features/landfill-indie-snobbery-2741199?amp&__twitter_impression=true

NME bites back in the landfill indie/indie landfill debate. 

I actually really liked the article till they had a seemingly unfair pop at The Horrors and doubled down on a Pokémon joke I didn't get.