2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

Some notes after catching up properly for the first time in a month..

- Glad to see everyone’s still got no idea and jumping from one theory to the next.

- Can’t believe I found ‘Flo Rida’ suggested as a Glasto headliner. I nearly stopped reading on.

- That indie landfill thread has upset me greatly. Milburn - Send in the boys is a banger. I did breeze through it, but pretty sure there wasn’t any mention of Reverend and the makers - heavyweight champion of the world. 

32 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I thought The Modern Way might have snuck in.

Modern Way is easily their best tune.

Been thinking about the Vice list, and the more I think about it the less I like it.  Just really snide and dismissive.  Music's music, you either like it or you don't but that looking down on an entire genre / era is up there with guilty pleasures.

Booo Vice. Yay music people enjoy.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Quark said:

Been thinking about the Vice list, and the more I think about it the less I like it.  Just really snide and dismissive.  Music's music, you either like it or you don't but that looking down on an entire genre / era is up there with guilty pleasures.

1BCC1D69-4E4F-42C4-896A-8D164361B5F9.jpeg

I haven't read it because, well, Vice. But they probably don't even believe half of what they put. 

BUT it's had you all talking about for a few pages, and it was trending on Twitter. They'll have got so many clicks from it it's served its purpose perfectly. 

But as Quark says, enjoy whatever music you enjoy! And, importantly, ignore the idiots that talk down on any of it (there's a few on here tbf). 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Quark said:

I don’t know if you read it or not but I thought it was actually fondly looking back at that era, whilst also recognising there was a lot of stuff that wasn’t musically groundbreaking. A lot of the writing is actually positively saying they like certain tunes, just that it is a place. 

It’s a good article.

38 minutes ago, Quark said:

Did you read it? It's mostly pretty complimentary written by people who enjoy the songs and clearly hold a candle for that time in life - it's just the classifier for the list has negative connotations. But fuck it.

I'm really not down with being nice about every act or not saying anything at all. Where's the fun in that? Being dismissive about certain music comes part and parcel with loving music. Just get a thicker skin and realise that, no matter what anyone says, you're not doing wrong for liking whatever song/artist/album.

I did read it, and maybe I missed the tone but it didn't come across like that to me.

I'm all for judging everything on its merits of course. Hell there's stuff I dont like and i like a comedy roasting as much as the next internet commentator.

I just find the disparaging of massive swathes of music and those who like it (see also the whole dark fruits thing) to be really snobbish. It very rarely comes across as anything other than "look at those idiots enjoying their shit music while I'm off watching a real band".

21 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Caesars are Swedish and they wanted only Brits in there... Generator by The Holloways and Naive by The Kooks are the obvious ones missing in my opinion.

I actually remember liking generator... struggling to remember the actual song now though, just the memory of liking it.

I ended up lazily whacking the list in a playlist as I worked this afternoon if anyone wants a Friday afternoon singalong. Flatmates are probably wondering why I was slightly too enthusiastically shouting he's gaaaaaawn earlier. Couple of things that aren't on spotify I had to plug with local files (of course I already had them) so they obviously won't play.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0lWkvpStBIyK4P5gOt9XQV?si=lLHCG1RvT3OXWAMqVAEUKg

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

What info is that?

I assume it's that Melvin claims he has six headliners at R+L next year, and none of them have headlined there before - which if true means AM won't be tied up as an exclusive there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

I ended up lazily whacking the list in a playlist as I worked this afternoon if anyone wants a Friday afternoon singalong. Flatmates are probably wondering why I was slightly too enthusiastically shouting he's gaaaaaawn earlier. Couple of things that aren't on spotify I had to plug with local files (of course I already had them) so they obviously won't play.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0lWkvpStBIyK4P5gOt9XQV?si=lLHCG1RvT3OXWAMqVAEUKg

Joined for the Glasvegas session of Tim's Twitter Listening Parties. Good album that

16 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Expecting some crossover with R&L if they have 6 headliners for 2021.

I’m thinking could R&L and Glasto share Florence? She would fit the description for one of the 6 headliners?

I don’t think they’ll share a headliner. One/some of R/L’s six playing lower down at Glastonbury as a sub or OS headliner like Foals/Disclosure in 2016? Sure. But R/L having one of Glastonbury’s headliners PLUS another headliner that day would sure lessen that headliner for Glastonbury imo. 

19 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Expecting some crossover with R&L if they have 6 headliners for 2021.

I’m thinking could R&L and Glasto share Florence? She would fit the description for one of the 6 headliners?

I would of thought with 6 headliners you'd be looking at mid tier acts at best. It will be 6 headliners with a 3 headliner budget. It'll be "co-headline" material. 

Glastonbury is a different in the fact they pay less for headliners in the first place with the coverage and publicity making up the short fall. That'll be one of the reasons Melvin is taking shots at Glastonbury, making out R&L / FR / LN are forward thinking with new headliners. Its just marketing blurb for we have six smaller acts that wouldn't normal headline

Saying that I'm all for giving new acts a chance to headline instead of the same bands on cycle every few years

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I don’t think they’ll share a headliner. One/some of R/L’s six playing lower down at Glastonbury as a sub or OS headliner like Foals/Disclosure in 2016? Sure. But R/L having one of Glastonbury’s headliners PLUS another headliner that day would sure lessen that headliner for Glastonbury imo. 

Yeah I meant some R&L headliners appearing on the glasto bill