2021 Headliners

1 hour ago, cloudbusting said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we've never had a trio made entirely of repeat headliners before, have we? Macca/AM/FatM/Muse would all fit in that category.

Nope, 2 out of 3 is the most. I checked on Wikipedia and it must be true because The Soice Girls are included in the acts due to play 2020.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nikkic said:

Plug In Baby 
Stockholm Syndrome 
Hysteria
Time Is Running Out
New Born
Assassin 
Starlight
Super Massive Black Hole
Muscle Museum
Showbiz
Citizen Erased 
Take A Bow
Knights
Uprising 

Plenty of tunes for a decent set, maybe just grab a beer when they start playing their more recent nonsense.

Could do without half of those. Take A Bow is unlistenable and Uprising is bland as hell. Never got why people care about Time Is Running Out either. 

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Not seen many mentions of it but Mercy was actually the highlight of their set in 2016 imo. That was the one moment where it felt like there was some energy.

It’s one of those songs that really pops for them live, haven’t enjoyed muse on their last couple of tours but that track is always a highlight. Wasn’t fussed about it when it came out. 

yI have never managed to see Muse live. I've been to see them twice (both at festivals) but never gotten to their set. 

One Leeds I went with the sole intention of seeing Muse - must have 2006 as I remember seeing Pearl Jam and the Arctic Monkeys. However, towards the back end of the Arctic Monkeys if started lashing down, like heavy biblical rain, so me and my friend decided we would cut out get a few pints and finish off some spirits we had snuck in. The remainder of the night got a little blurry from there - I remember talking to a stranger who convinced me to go and see the Raconteurs instead, and I have a vague recollection of fire. The next morning we were up early to leave and my friend told me Muse had played a great set and asked me where I'd got to as I'd only got back a few hours earlier minus the top half of my clothes. I wasn't 100% certain what I'd done. 😐 So anyway, I get home and my then girlfriend answers the door not looking to happy. She asked me if I'd had a good time at Muse to which I replied 'well...' She then said she knows I didn't and proceeded to show me some of the red button highlights of the Raconteurs that showed a small fire at the back of the tent with what appeared to be a drenched man putting his t shirt on it to dry whilst dancing round. 😬 oops... and I really liked that t shirt. 

Sorry to detract from the thread, it just reminded me! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

5 hours ago, stanh said:

Been reading a few of the more recent pages, so with all the Covid stuff going on, are Taylor and Kendrick completely written off then for touring and headlining next year? Or at this moment in time, is it just hard to tell, but unlikely that they will be on tour? 

It's looking unlikely currently Mad Cool have said Taylor isn't rolling over to 2021 and Kendrick hasn't been announced for anything yet plus there's rumours he's shelved the album plans and is rewriting another. 

14 hours ago, jparx said:

Tried that approach in 2016 and they played most of those tunes, but the atmosphere was nonexistent and made it very hard to get anything out of it. I really like Muse, but not for Glastonbury again after their last appearance. Get em on John Peel for an hour in The Killers slot and you’re on.

My thoughts exactly, it was so boring. And I'd consider myself a Muse fan really, even when the studio output went south you could always say yeah but they're great live. Until 2016 I could anyway.

Was with my dad and he really wanted them to do Feeling Good as he'd never seen them and they didn't so there's that as well. That probably doesn't add anything to the wider conversation (not that my posts generally do).

3 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Only just catching up. So the thinking is, in theory and if 2021 was to go ahead, two of those three would headline alongside McCartney?..

Kinda.

Of the three 2020 headliners, none have been explicitly ruled out but things are pointing to both Taylor and Kendrick being unlikely.  Nothing in the way of changing plans appear to rule Macca out as yet, so he's viewed as most likely to still be on.

Nei's got some info, which may or may not be kosher but no reason to dismiss out of hand, that the other three have been approached by the festival with enquiries about availability as opposed to invites to play.

Edited by Quark

Just thinking - didn’t we speak about Florence and 2021 a while ago - I can’t remember why...

For her name to pop up again I wonder if she was one of the pencilled headliners for 2021 and they’ve decided to push it forward.

If AM and Flo were two they had in mind for 2021 - it would fit with them needing two replacement headliners if Kendrick and Taylor can’t do it.

No idea who the third would have been from that, but Muse coming into the equation sounds like uncertainty that Paul can do it.

Where is Paul based? Would he have to travel to the U.K. to play?

Edited by Matt42

Neil and JBarbour have info AM are doing three Hillsborough Park dates 4-6th June 2021. That to me seems pretty confirmed so I reckon when that is announced AM are a shoo in as them and a southern appearance at Glastonbury would probably do them for next year. It will be 8 years since the last appearance so its been a while and feel they are most likely at the moment.

Macca I feel is a doubt due to not knowing what life will be like next year and Glastonbury may want headliners to be locked in early so they can deal with strategies on getting the festival happening and dealing with things they may need to add to get it happening. They were working with Melvin Benn to get R&L and Glastonbury happening weren't they?

Just now, Matt42 said:

Just thinking - didn’t we speak about Florence and 2021 a while ago - I can’t remember why...

For her name to pop up again I wonder if she was one of the pencilled headliners for 2021 and they’ve decided to push it forward.

If AM and Flo were two they had in mind for 2021 - it would fit with them needing two replacement headliners if Kendrick and Taylor can’t do it.

No idea who the third would have been from that, but Muse coming into the equation sounds like uncertainty that Paul can do it.

or alternatively they are just talking to 3 on the basis that maybe only 1 out of 3 or 2 out of 3 can do it .... plus an existing 

16 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Florence // Arctic Monkeys // Macca would be the best trio from them four.

That would make sense to me. Slight bias as a massive AM fan but they are in the studio and they're bound to do it again at some point. It will have been 8 years by 2021. Interesting

Just now, mufcok said:

Haha true. I guess at this point the lineup is irrelevant. Getting us in there is the priority 

In fairness we never usually know anything in August, coupled with all the extra 2020 uncertainties its not really surprising. 

We could be having some fun with it though rather than pretending to get excited about another bloody Muse headline set.