2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

Just now, dentalplan said:

The average age being 39 says to me that they can get away with booking acts big 10-15 years ago over current contemporary artists. The average person stops listening to new music at 33, after all, so a barren few years wouldn’t matter.

Pigeon Detectives are dusting off their guitars as we speak.

I listen to more new music now than I did at 33, I know that. Probably more than at 23 tbh. But then I'm odd like that.

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

Interestingly there was some research done in 2016 on the average Glastonbury attendee. It was reported in Somerset Live so take it with as much salt as you feel appropriate, but it had the average attendee age as 39.

I think that that is pretty believable and you can see it in a lot of the bookings. I know that the bookings like Johnny Marr, New Order, The Cure or ahem, The Vaccines, must mystify some of the younger posters but the crowds they get aren't tiny. Somewhat surprisingly I found myself watching Morcheeba last time and the Avalon tent was rammed.

3 hours ago, sadimmock said:

I think that that is pretty believable and you can see it in a lot of the bookings. I know that the bookings like Johnny Marr, New Order, The Cure or ahem, The Vaccines, must mystify some of the younger posters but the crowds they get aren't tiny. Somewhat surprisingly I found myself watching Morcheeba last time and the Avalon tent was rammed.

We couldn't get into Morcheeba and ended up just sitting around outside. It's when I didn't get food and my whole night went west. 

a reply ...

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

As gutting as it would be it would not surprise me if they are playing it safe and locking two fan favourites down early (AM and Muse). Glastonbury might not have the luxury of waiting till late to sort bookings this year as I doubt any band is going to throw together a last minute tour next year. Things are too uncertain.

I had a third name as well (the first being Arctic Monkeys) .... which was Florence and the machine.

From the way it's been said I'm taking them as being "would you be available...?" convos rather than "here's a firm offer", as I find it hard to see all of those three bands as headliners in the same year as they're too much of a similar thing musically.

Then again, UK bands would be the safest bookings, as who knows how covid might affect be international travel next summer.

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

So Florence, Muse and AM potentially?

like I say, I find that a bit hard to see. They're too much of a similar thing, and I reckon the fest would rather have a wider range of genre in its headliners.

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Nowt on Macca then?

nope. 

My guess is that he's still a strong possibility.

Those three do make a lot of sense, all bands with close connections to the festival which seems sensible given how uncertain everything is at the moment. I agree with Neil that I’d be surprised to see all three do it and it makes sense to ask a few if it’s an initial discussion rather than an outright offer. Muse seem the most likely at the moment simply because we know they’re around next summer. 

So far this morning I've:

- forgotten my towel when going swimming;

- stood on a paving stone that splashed muddy water all over my clean jeans; and now,

- heard this (All three I'd see, but not particularly fussed by any). 

Can I go back to bed? 

Edited by zeppelin
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

So far this morning I've:

- forgotten my towel when going swimming;

- stood on a paving stone that splashed muddy water all over my clean jeans; and now,

- heard this (All three I'd see, but not particularly fussed by any). 

Can I go back to bed? 

Which one's the worst?

I'd have actually mentioned Florence but I was going to suggest as a sub option instead but I'd be happy enough with that.

It is playing is very safe but The 1975 isn't playing it any different. If you are an English band are asked to headlined for a first time and free you say yes I'd imagine. Florence does tick the female option box.

If we ended up with Flo, Macca and AM with Muse doing a secret set in JPT I’d consider that a great result. Flo, Muse and AM would be pretty weak. Although if we could guarantee the festival goes ahead now with those three headliners is obviously take it.

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

I'd have actually mentioned Florence but I was going to suggest as a sub option instead but I'd be happy enough with that.

It is playing is very safe but The 1975 isn't playing it any different. If you are an English band are asked to headlined for a first time and free you say yes I'd imagine. Florence does tick the female option box.

Yeah think I did the same when Taylor became unlikely.  I think they’d want a female fronted headliner myself so it makes sense.

Of the three names mooted there, I'd be absolutely thrilled with Florence. Wouldn't make up for losing Kenny and Taylor, by any measure, but I would have been chuffed to see Florence up there any time. I've listened to High as Hope a lot during lockdown - to hear 'Sky Full of Song' from the pointy one after all the shit of this year would be a moment for me.

Fingers crossed that Macca is still on the table (Maybe even Taylor (I'll never stop hoping)) and these guys are being approached early in an 'in case of' capacity... 😬

I'll be honest, at this stage I couldn't give two hoots who the headliners are. If there's a fest going ahead, I'll manage.  If ever there was going to be a year when the bookers should be cut some slack over who they get, it's this one.

Obviously stuff I'd prefer to see, and as a trio I'd find something like AM, Muse and Florence a "disappointment", but I'd get it.  I just want to be in a field!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'll be honest, at this stage I couldn't give two hoots who the headliners are. If there's a fest going ahead, I'll manage.  If ever there was going to be a year when the bookers should be cut some slack over who they get, it's this one.

Obviously stuff I'd prefer to see, and as a trio I'd find something like AM, Muse and Florence a "disappointment", but I'd get it.  I just want to be in a field!

Brilliantly put