2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I really don’t get how this assertion can be made though. 

Glastonbury headliners tend to be household names. I'm far enough removed away from the zeitgeist to see the bigger picture of what the general public expects from a Glastonbury headliner and that isn't Dua Lipa. I had to explain who she was to my Mrs tonight. 

Look, we've all had a drink and I acknowledge I'm more than likely talking shite but there are countless acts more likely than her to be announced as headliner.

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It also concerns me that there is an expectation for 2021 to be a super strong year. 

Is it though? Where is this coming from? I suppose from a high, unthinking level, people may think we are getting 2020 headliners plus those 'pencilled in' for 2021 but surely there's an understanding that the world is in turmoil and many acts will not be making plans to tour the globe.

10 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Glastonbury headliners tend to be household names. I'm far enough removed away from the zeitgeist to see the bigger picture of what the general public expects from a Glastonbury headliner and that isn't Dua Lipa. I had to explain who she was to my Mrs tonight. 

Is it though? Where is this coming from? I suppose from a high, unthinking level, people may think we are getting 2020 headliners plus those 'pencilled in' for 2021 but surely there's an understanding that the world is in turmoil and many acts will not be making plans to tour the globe.

1. I guess we can agree to disagree but Dua Lipa is a household name. 

2. The fact that the Euro festivals are rolling over their lineups, or getting very predictable acts to fill the missing slots. There are very few big ticket artists announced so far that weren’t around in 2020.

Big tours aren’t getting booked. Stadium gigs for next year don’t seem to be a goer. There is very little confidence that anything is going ahead. The only gigs that have been announced so far are small ones.

Since most gigantic headliner sized bookings sort their tours far in advance. If it gets till March or early spring and we get the go ahead that gigs can happen, it may be too late to rope in any big acts that didn’t already have something pencilled in.

Edited by Matt42

27 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I really don’t get how this assertion can be made though. I’d argue she’s way bigger than Mumford & Sons / Stormzy were at the time they were booked. 

Stormzy was maybe about the same size because he still only had the one album and was about to step up to another level, but you're laughing if you think she's anywhere approaching the levels of success Mumford & Sons had had in the years prior. They were a cultural phenom and household name; selling millions, winning mainstream awards and already announced to be headlining festivals either side of the Atlantic.

The fact you have to highlight that next year might be quite barren to justify her headlining speaks volumes. They gave her a bump to Other headline in anticipation for exactly the level of success Future Nostalgia has had. It hasn't surpassed expectations commercially, it hasn't pushed her into a wider consciousness than she already was at. Just enjoy the Other Stage headline set and take it ez

Edited by dentalplan

On 8/21/2020 at 5:12 PM, crazyfool1 said:

Forum springs back to life with simpsons gifs and resale spreadsheets all in 24 hours ... happy days :) ... calling @Supernintendo Chalmers

Headliners in 2021 should only be acts who've appeared in the Simpsons. I give you...

Saturday night Pyramid, Friday night Park Stage, Friday Pyramid "rock slot" and Sunday night West Holt's (featuring the London Symphony Orchestra, obvs). 

And of course, there's always the dream reunion...

3F03PaulMcCartney.jpg

250px-Byrne.png

aerosmith-72e6e03b-ae37-443f-8daf-dd2f5d3304b0.jpg

Simpsons_Cypress_Hill.jpg

REM_Simpsons-1570806965-1024x576.jpg

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers
  • Upvote 5

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

They gave her a bump to Other headline in anticipation for exactly the level of success Future Nostalgia has had. It hasn't surpassed expectations commercially, it hasn't pushed her into a wider consciousness than she already was at.

Just enjoy the Other Stage headline set and take it ez

This is so off the mark lol. She went from a mid sized british popstar to one of the biggest female acts on the planet. I really don’t get how you don’t see that.

Absolute horseshit is Dua Lipa bigger than Mumford were in 2013! If I asked my mates what they thought of Dua Lipa, most of them would think I was talking about some form of herpes! If I asked them about Mumford & Son, they would all know who I meant.

I would have no problem with Glasto taking a  punt on Dua, especially in these strange times (even if she is shit!), but don't try to kid us that she's the new Madonna!!!

30 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Q: Is she bigger than Lewis Capaldi?

I would say yes, but they are big with two very different crowds.

Its not very fair to compare Dua to someone who is big with the mums. It’s like comparing someone to Take That.

Edited by Matt42

5 hours ago, WhoOdyssey said:

Lewis has just as big of a young audience as old, he does much better on streaming than Dua even.

Yeah that’s what got me thinking about it. Like on the metrics where Lipa is big, Capaldi is bigger; he’s obviously a big act in his own right but only headlining mid-sized events and would probably play about the same as Lipa on the G lineup. And if anything I would say Glastonbury is more his crowd than it is Dua Lipa’s.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah that’s what got me thinking about it. Like on the metrics where Lipa is big, Capaldi is bigger; he’s obviously a big act in his own right but only headlining mid-sized events and would probably play about the same as Lipa on the G lineup. And if anything I would say Glastonbury is more his crowd than it is Dua Lipa’s.

Pushing this line of argument further I think most would agree that George Ezra looks likely to get the bump up on his next album.

Lipa is nowhere near his level in terms of size.

8 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Headliners in 2021 should only be acts who've appeared in the Simpsons. I give you...

Saturday night Pyramid, Friday night Park Stage, Friday Pyramid "rock slot" and Sunday night West Holt's (featuring the London Symphony Orchestra, obvs). 

And of course, there's always the dream reunion...

3F03PaulMcCartney.jpg

250px-Byrne.png

aerosmith-72e6e03b-ae37-443f-8daf-dd2f5d3304b0.jpg

Simpsons_Cypress_Hill.jpg

REM_Simpsons-1570806965-1024x576.jpg

Welcome back!!!

This calls for a celebration.

92F48A72-306F-49B5-A6AE-2BF3EF08D114.gif

Edited by Hugh Jass
  • Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

3rd in the world vs 56th in the world?

I suspect that is skewed by the recent album release - given that she is higher now than Billie Eilish and Ed Sheeran - but fair play. I know Capaldi's album and one of the songs were the most streamed album and song in the UK last year so it's not like he's nothing to that audience.

https://spotifycharts.com/regional/gb/daily/2019-05-17

https://spotifycharts.com/regional/gb/daily/2020-03-27

Looking at both their album's first days on Spotify UK, Lewis' entries were at #2, #4, #8, #9, #11, #12, #13, #15, #17, #19, #25 and #28 (with higher streams than Dua's and more competition) and Dua's entries are at #3, #4, #5, #24, #31, #32, #37, #41, #42, #58 and #65

Then looking at the next coming days, Lewis' held around much better also

Edited by WhoOdyssey

15 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Say what you want about Biffy Clyro but they disproved the Dua headline gang's hypothesis about nobody buying gig tickets at the moment.

Come on, it's a chance to see an arena band in tiny venues. It's not comparable to selling tickets for bigger gigs. Added to that their gigs are in April and not just into the new year. Right at this moment people don't want to spend so much on a ticket that can't be guaranteed to go ahead. We are in a position for example where London NYE Fireworks are very questionable at the moment of going ahead and likely won't as information is usually out by now as I go. And yes that is a much higher number but not overall given the amount of attendees spread over difference dates and given the different areas on that night.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Pushing this line of argument further I think most would agree that George Ezra looks likely to get the bump up on his next album.

Lipa is nowhere near his level in terms of size.

Performance wise though, I've seen both and thought Ezra didn't match up anywhere close. 

Cba looking back on how we got on to Dua headlining the thing, but they’re obviously not gonna bump up this years Other headliner to next years Pyramid headliner so it’s all moot for now anyway.

Next album though? Yeah, why not? For a festival wanting to make the female presence known they’ve got a bonafide homegrown star in the making right there with a history with the festival and an arsenal of bangers. Also making waves in the US which is no small feat for a UK pop act. Personally see her as way more likely to get the gig in the next couple of years than someone like Ezra or Capaldi.

11 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Cba looking back on how we got on to Dua headlining the thing, but they’re obviously not gonna bump up this years Other headliner to next years Pyramid headliner so it’s all moot for now anyway.

Next album though? Yeah, why not? For a festival wanting to make the female presence known they’ve got a bonafide homegrown star in the making right there with a history with the festival and an arsenal of bangers. Also making waves in the US which is no small feat for a UK pop act. Personally see her as way more likely to get the gig in the next couple of years than someone like Ezra or Capaldi.

Ezra’s a shoo-in, same way Sheeran was.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

He doesn’t, but I’m trying not to resort to the streaming debate 🤣

What are you basing this on? He seemed to be one of the best received announcements for R&L this year.

23 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I pretty much agree with this regarding Dua Lipa headlining. I also think Ezra will get the gig soon too, but Capaldi won't.

38 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Come on, it's a chance to see an arena band in tiny venues. It's not comparable to selling tickets for bigger gigs. Added to that their gigs are in April and not just into the new year. Right at this moment people don't want to spend so much on a ticket that can't be guaranteed to go ahead. We are in a position for example where London NYE Fireworks are very questionable at the moment of going ahead and likely won't as information is usually out by now as I go. And yes that is a much higher number but not overall given the amount of attendees spread over difference dates and given the different areas on that night.

The gigs will go ahead even if not on the currently advertised date but you are right about it being a more tempting opportunity to see a bigger band in smaller venues so fair point.