2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

21 minutes ago, Quark said:

OK, I'll bite...

RHCP have veered heavily between the sublime and the ridiculous over the years.  I used to love Blood Sugar Sex Magik and that early funk/rap/I've got a big boner sound, but listening back to it now it really doesn't do much for me.  The actual instrumental work is still good, but Kiedis' schtick really hasn't aged at all well. There are still some good tracks in those first few albums, but stuff like Give It Away sounds really tired now.

For me they hit their stride when they moved away from that sound and went more melodic in Californication. Again that album still has some nonsense on it, but tracks like Parallel Universe, Scar Tissue, Road Tripping and Californication have aged far better than their earlier stuff. They carried that into By The Way, and on the more old-style tracks like Can't Stop they toned down the OTT shite and churned out some good tunes.

Stadium Arcadium was your classic double album - overblown and largely forgettable, but there are a couple of good songs in there. And the stuff since then has been pretty nondescript.

I've seen them live 4 times - Reading '99 just after Californication came out, Hyde Park '04, Reading Madjeski Stadium '06 on the Stadium Arcadium tour, and Benicassim in '17. And they've been a mixed bag. Reading fest was incredible, Hyde Park was OK, Madjeski Stadium was utter garbage, and Benicassim was back on top form.  Based on my experiences it's a real lottery of whether you'll have a blast or not. And if you aren't that familiar with the back catalogue (one of the highlights for me in '17 was them playing tracks from the early albums I'd never heard live) then the dips between the well known tracks will be pretty dull.

If they did rock up as a headliner at GF I probably wouldn't bother as I don't fancy my chances of getting a good show out of them, they've not released anything since I last saw them to get me excited, and there'd undoubtedly be something on elsewhere I'd want to watch.

Footnote - all 4 times I've seen them they have, mercifully, kept their clothes on.

I've seen them twice in 07 and 13, the latter was better.

I think we need to temper our expectations. I know it’s early on still, but it looks like getting Macca will be setting us far ahead of the competition. It could be Macca and two fresh timers I think.

I’m hoping for Macca, 1975, Gaga. Il take it. It does the job.

I reckon AM aren’t about. Or if they were planning to they’ve pushed it back due to not being able to get into the studio. Kendrick looks like he’s basically scrapped his album because of everything going on and started afresh looking at 2022, he won’t be alone in that regard.

Ultimately I just want to be back on the farm and even that looks unlikely at the moment!

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think we need to temper our expectations. I know it’s early on still, but it looks like getting Macca will be setting us far ahead of the competition. It could be Macca and two fresh timers I think.

I reckon AM aren’t about. Or if they were planning to they’ve pushed it back due to not being able to get into the studio. Kendrick looks like he’s basically scrapped his album because of everything going on and started afresh looking at 2022, he won’t be alone in that regard.

Ultimately I just want to be back on the farm and even that looks unlikely at the moment!

You can't say 'temper our expectations' and then says you'll 'take' three bonafide festival headliners who most festivals would bend over backwards to have 😄 That trio would be an absolute win, the best we could hope for outside of our 2020 trio all coming back, and although I'm holding out for such a fantastic top tier, I'm gonna expect worse until proven otherwise. 

Agree with tempering expectations, although Macca + Gaga in the same year is way on the high end of potential lineups.

Macca would be a massive result at this stage and not taking that for granted until it's announced. Anything else a huge a bonus. My baseline is Gorillaz / AM / Liam Gallagher and anything above that is a result. Perhaps Liam is off Latitude because he's headlining G...?

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Perhaps Liam is off Latitude because he's headlining G...?

I just can't see this happening. Things may be dire, but we're not at 'the previous festivals Pyramid sub being asked back to headline' just yet. I think he's gonna be announced as the third headliner for Latitude, although not sure why he's being held back.

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I just can't see this happening. Things may be dire, but we're not at 'the previous festivals Pyramid sub being asked back to headline' just yet. I think he's gonna be announced as the third headliner for Latitude, although not sure why he's being held back.

He will never headline the Pyramid on his own, only with Oasis in my opinion. Same as Noel wouldnt. 

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I do agree, but I'm just bracing myself for the disappointment. 

G2021 will be insane whatever happens, but I'm setting my lineup expectations as low as possible.

2 minutes ago, Havors said:

Have we ruled out the exact same headliners from 2020?  Too many pages to go back and read haha 

I imagine Macca would still play but Swift and Kendrick I think would likely have other commitments already planned out? 

Pretty much, at least certainly Kenny and Swift.  Lost track of all the reasoning behind it, but all things indicate that they're not planning on being active. 

All caveated by the fact that he world is insane atm so God only knows!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Havors said:

Have we ruled out the exact same headliners from 2020?  Too many pages to go back and read haha 

I imagine Macca would still play but Swift and Kendrick I think would likely have other commitments already planned out? 

I have hope still but I'm seemingly alone in that

Just gonna throw my Taylor theory in here as well:

We're all assuming (and tbf I still am regardless of this post) that Taylor "not touring Europe" means she's ruled out completely. I don't expect her to be at Glastonbury based on current info, but I do think there's potential for Taylor to tour the US in May/June, followed by a big outdoor Wembley type gig and Glastonbury. She's either not touring Europe because she has other commitments pencilled in or doesn't want to schlep around loads of different countries while Covid may still be around. If it's commitments, then sure she's almost certainly out. If it's the latter, I don't think "not touring Europe" automatically means no Glastonbury/other UK show. She has residence in the UK and will be spending loads of time here next year regardless. It wouldn't be adding unnecessary travel to her schedule, and if it's tacked on the end of the US shows which she's doing then it would make more sense financially. With what we know about Taylor, her mother's health and how seriously she's taken Covid, I can absolutely see her taking the decision to stick to playing shows in countries where she's based, and move the rest of the gigs in 2022. Joe might be our saviour here 😂

Lover Fest US May/June

Wembley + Glastonbury end of June

Again, my expectations are this won't happen, but I don't think she can be taken off entirely off the table with the current info. And as I mentioned in the Acts Touring thread, HAIM not being on festival lineups in July but still having the Ireland gig may play in to this theory as I'd expect them to be supporting Taylor on the US shows.

Edited by jparx

17 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I have hope still but I'm seemingly alone in that

Haha i cant say im upset swift and kendrick wont be headlining. Just not my bag. I also wouldn't be bothered if they did headline... its often a blessing to free up your time at the time to go see other things around the festival

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

We're all assuming (and tbf I still am regardless of this post) that Taylor "not touring Europe" means she's ruled out completely. I don't expect her to be at Glastonbury based on current info, but I do think there's potential for Taylor to tour the US in May/June, followed by a big outdoor Wembley type gig and Glastonbury. She's either not touring Europe because she has other commitments pencilled in or doesn't want to schlep around loads of different countries while Covid may still be around. If it's commitments, then sure she's almost certainly out. If it's the latter, I don't think "not touring Europe" automatically means no Glastonbury/other UK show. She has residence in the UK and will be spending loads of time here next year regardless. It wouldn't be adding unnecessary travel to her schedule, and if it's tacked on the end of the US shows which she's doing then it would make more sense financially. With what we know about Taylor, her mother's health and how seriously she's taken Covid, I can absolutely see her taking the decision to stick to playing shows in countries where she's based, and move the rest of the gigs in 2022. Joe might be our saviour here 😂

Lover Fest US May/June

Again, my expectations are this won't happen, but I don't think she can be taken off entirely off the table with the current info. And as I mentioned in the Acts Touring thread, HAIM not being on festival lineups in July but still having the Ireland gig may play in to this theory as I'd expect them to be supporting Taylor on the US shows.

You're offering me straws and I'm clutching them. 

57 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Before COVID and BLM the feeling was that Kendrick had an album pretty much ready to go. I imagine he’s got plenty to say on recent events but it’d be a surprise if he scraps the whole thing. Surely he can release this record then get straight on to the next one?

17 minutes ago, jparx said:

Lover Fest US May/June

It's no extra movement for her maybe but it probably is for all her stage crew, equipment etc. Can't imagine its cheap to ferry the whole set across the pond for a couple UK shows...

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

It's no extra movement for her maybe but it probably is for all her stage crew, equipment etc. Can't imagine its cheap to ferry the whole set across the pond for a couple UK shows...

She has form though - she did it for the Capital FM Christmas thing. Whole band came over for a 30 minute set...

Edit - she also did the one off in Paris last summer. If there's anyone that could do a one off/two shows over here it's Taylor.

Edited by jparx

Foals attracted a huge crowd for their secret set, have Glastonbury weekend free/ are back in the UK for it, and are obviously festival favorites. Would Glastonbury (if they were struggling for names) give them a leg up? Not the strongest weekend, but they’d obviously do a job. 

Have something like:

Foals/ Macca/ Gaga 

Edited by kemosabe

It won't be Foals. I'd certainly take them over RHCP, but if we're talking up and coming UK bands, surely The 1975 are it.

I think Foals will not make the leap now. You can file them alongside Elbow, bands that are beloved of the festival but never did the jump and are perennially sub acts or other headliners.

5 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

Foals attracted a huge crowd for their secret set, have Glastonbury weekend free/ are back in the UK for it, and are obviously festival favorites. Would Glastonbury (if they were struggling for names) give them a leg up? Not the strongest weekend, but they’d obviously do a job. 

Have something like:

Foals/ Macca/ Gaga 

Uh oh. Here we go again!

I'd say they're on the list of potentials if various plans fall through, but probably fairly low on the list. You'd probably see The 1975 in that slot before Foals, but it can all come down to scheduling and I guess there's a chance Foals could be the best option after other names are ruled out.

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

Uh oh. Here we go again!

I'd say they're on the list of potentials if various plans fall through, but probably fairly low on the list. You'd probably see The 1975 in that slot before Foals, but it can all come down to scheduling and I guess there's a chance Foals could be the best option after other names are ruled out.

I wouldn’t bring it up, but they do have a massive hole in their calendar around Glastonbury weekend, and their secret set went down so well. Glastonbury pencils acts in so far in advance as well right?