2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

17 minutes ago, jparx said:

Does anyone have a link to better Coach footage than this? Yeah, it would be fucking incredible and Gaga is top my list now we've lost Taylor, I'm just waiting on getting too invested until we see some more dates earlier in the summer.

It’s rather annoying that not long after coachella the organisers go on a general purge to remove all their recordings from social media. 

Radioheads 2012 set is one of my favourite recordings from Coachella and I miss that HQ recording. 

1 hour ago, PDAD said:

Definitely can't see them headlining Glasto but FWIW, Gorillaz at Boomtown a couple of years ago was brilliant. They'd redeem themselves.

Is there any reason they couldn’t play? If the festival is stuck for headliners, he’s obviously a friend of the festival and played before. 

As you say, they’d have a whole year to come up with something special and “redeem” themselves as well. 

8 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

Is there any reason they couldn’t play? If the festival is stuck for headliners, he’s obviously a friend of the festival and played before. 

As you say, they’d have a whole year to come up with something special and “redeem” themselves as well. 

I think the main argument against them playing is their relevance (that being said, they are far more relevant than RHCP). Michael and Emily are far more likely to call on the likes of The 1975 before they are on the phone to Damon again, especially after the 2010 set isn't the best remembered. 

But if they are stuck, yeah, he is a friend of the festival and I'm sure they'd do a great job. I'd be there.

I am praying that Emily has booked Gaga. Other than after the release of the fame monster when she was at her creative and commercial peak, this is the best time to book her for the headlining gig. Chromatica is a great 90s house throwback record, which could be a hell of a party on the pyramid. 

We'd love to see it.

1 minute ago, K2SO said:

I only check in here once or twice a week.

Having gone through the last few pages, I think it's all safe to say that you've all gone well and truly insane.

What, you've only just reached this conclusion?

FWIW I'm working on the basis that all the usual detective work is a waste of time at the moment.  We've got so little idea of what things are going to look like next year that I'm just enjoying the wild speculation.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

What, you've only just reached this conclusion?

FWIW I'm working on the basis that all the usual detective work is a waste of time at the moment.  We've got so little idea of what things are going to look like next year that I'm just enjoying the wild speculation.

It was the suggestions of Baby Shark playing the Pyramid is what confirmed it for me 😂

Yeah, I totally agree. There's very few things worth taking into consideration IMO; 2020 headliners, acts touring the UK/Europe in June/July '21, festival headliners around the world that have been announced so far.

Even taking all of those into consideration, it's still all a stab in the dark

43 minutes ago, Quark said:

Not really true though, that. Some of the big festivals that we look to to indicate who is touring have put out the brunt of their lineups, and we’ve had confirmation of dropouts from Kendrick Lamar and Taylor Swift from other fests. I don’t think really any of it is ‘wild speculation’, it’s morbid reality.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I know you’d disagree for one of them but probably all better than the two special guests from this year moving up to headline slots. 😱

This thread has really made me feel old recently. 

It's not the kids who are out of touch, it's me.

4 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Mumfords // Macca // Aerosmith

Jesus.

Yikes.

Less so for Mumford & Sons (because they’ve already headlined) but I do think Aerosmith headlining might be something we’re looking at with the acts dropping out. When looking for headline-sized bands to step in for dropouts, having headline-sized bands already hiding in guest spots on the lineup is a nice luxury to have.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Yikes.

Less so for Mumford & Sons (because they’ve already headlined) but I do think Aerosmith headlining might be something we’re looking at with the acts dropping out. When looking for headline-sized bands to step in for dropouts, having headline-sized bands already hiding in guest spots on the lineup is a nice luxury to have.

Very true, it would be stronger than any of the suggested options and if they already have a headline band then why not bump them up and save money and fulfil a big act for the general goers. Most wont know they were booked for 2020 and have loads of songs in the pipeline, could see it happen. 

1975 // Macca // Aerosmith 

Aerosmith // Macca // Lady Gaga 

Both strong sets, the second would be great and a mix, not as mixed as the original but I wouldn’t complain as that’s strong, both of them are. 

18 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Not really true though, that. Some of the big festivals that we look to to indicate who is touring have put out the brunt of their lineups, and we’ve had confirmation of dropouts from Kendrick Lamar and Taylor Swift from other fests. I don’t think really any of it is ‘wild speculation’, it’s morbid reality.

Ok I'll rephrase.

We can speculate in the way that would for any other year based on other festivals, touring plans and so on. Certainly the information on people dropping out would work, as if we cab see they aren't planning on doing other festivals in 2021 there's no reason to assume they'd make Glastonbury the exception.

With potential replacements and other acts, the speculation may be sensible based on what we now at the moment, but at the moment we really dont know what the world will look like next year. Events may be on as normal, or they  could be downsized or even cancelled. Touring artists may face challenges if countries have varying border or travel arrangements with countries that are doing better or worse. The whole thing could change the booking ethos for next year as a result of all that, so your backup / default headliners might not be contacted.

Don't get me wrong, the speculation is as much fun as always and fully worthwhile, but I'm not placing huge weight on it atm