2021 Headliners

Just now, circus92 said:

No way either of them two getting booked when The 1975 are about next year

When I said 'we are defo' getting I meant the type of acts - 75 fit in that category. They are going to use the same show as RandL and there tour so thats gonna be uninspiring again, seen them twice thats enough, take the Friday so I can see Thom and all is good.

8 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Who do you reckon the other two will be as you arent favourable towards Billie headlining, nor Gorillaz or RHCP so I reckon that'd be the same about The Strokes then we pretty much have no one unless you truly believe Gaga will do the festival around a month earlier than her dates...

Still sticking with The 1975, Macca, Gaga - a well balanced trio and something for everyone.

4 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

When I said 'we are defo' getting I meant the type of acts - 75 fit in that category. They are going to use the same show as RandL and there tour so thats gonna be uninspiring again, seen them twice thats enough, take the Friday so I can see Thom and all is good.

That Friday night clash is horrible

If we're considering Chilis (which we shouldn't be), surely we need also to be looking at Pearl Jam who are almost definitely touring Europe next summer. They were on for BST this year but that has been cancelled rather than postponed (unlike some of their other dates). That doesn't mean they won't end up doing BST, but it does leave them open for Glastonbury.

Now I've mentioned them, can we just not bother with the "they're not big enough / relevant" comments... We've been down that road too many times... They were the only act to sell out BST this year, alongside G headliners like Swift and Kendrick...

4 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

If we're considering Chilis (which we shouldn't be), surely we need also to be looking at Pearl Jam who are almost definitely touring Europe next summer. They were on for BST this year but that has been cancelled rather than postponed (unlike some of their other dates). That doesn't mean they won't end up doing BST, but it does leave them open for Glastonbury.

Now I've mentioned them, can we just not bother with the "they're not big enough / relevant" comments... We've been down that road too many times... They were the only act to sell out BST this year, alongside G headliners like Swift and Kendrick...

Kendrick didnt even sell out, its certainly an option and wouldn't Vedder want to tick it off. I reckon theres a chance. 

4 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

The only thing I'd say about suitability is that PJ have fewer well known tracks outside their fanbase.  Whatever you think of RHCP (and this place isn't shy of being vocal about them) they could do Under The Bridge, Give It Away, Californication, Scar Tissue, By The Way and Zephyr Song, and they'd all land reasonably well with the "heard it on the radio" crowd.

As much as I like PJ they'd have Jeremy, Even Flow and Alive. Those are the only ones you hear on mainstream UK radio really.

Just now, RarerThanDandyB said:

Kendrick didnt even sell out, its certainly an option and wouldn't Vedder want to tick it off. I reckon theres a chance. 

The “didn’t sell out” argument doesn’t hold too much water IMO. Pearl Jam have a large, dedicated fan base who buy up tickets to every gig they play. This was also supposed to be their only UK gig of the year if I’m not mistaken. The Cure sold out BST under similar conditions.

Kendrick may not have sold out as of March but had things been different he would certainly have had another album and singles out ahead of the shows which would have bumped sales too. 

12 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Still sticking with The 1975, Macca, Gaga - a well balanced trio and something for everyone.

Not quite everyone. I might pop to see Macca but otherwise I probably won’t be at the pyramid. It’s no loss though as Glastonbury isn’t about the big three names at the top of the poster. 

7 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Not quite everyone. I might pop to see Macca but otherwise I probably won’t be at the pyramid. It’s no loss though as Glastonbury isn’t about the big three names at the top of the poster. 

Yeah - should have said "something for most" as you can't please everyone 😄

1 minute ago, PolygonWindow said:

Guys, apologies, bit off topic.

My band have a release soon and I want to share it with the forum, would I be allowed to make a thread with FB ink, IG link, Twitter link etc. dedicated to the release upon release date? Is this type of self promotion allowed on this forum?

I know that @WS_Jack_III has posted his tracks on the New Music thread before so I believe it's OK, although I don't know if there were any specific conversations with @eFestivals about it first.

Just make sure the track's decent, we're very discerning listeners in these parts ;)

17 minutes ago, circus92 said:

That would be my preferred option easily.

People are resigning themselves to Chillis and Gorillaz due to the scheduling. Emily would obviously rather book the three you have mentioned, but currently Chillis and Gorillaz are prime contenders based on the other shows they have announced, coupled with the fact they seem to be slotting in as replacements for our lost headliners. Everything Emily has said in recent months suggests that her ideal trio would be the one you mentioned, but you don't always get what you want...until Gaga announces a show in June/early July, though, I still think she's unlikely.

I'll concede The 1975 are in a very good position looking at the current dates and hopefully they get the nod.

Just now, Quark said:

I know that @WS_Jack_III has posted his tracks on the New Music thread before so I believe it's OK, although I don't know if there were any specific conversations with @eFestivals about it first.

Just make sure the track's decent, we're very discerning listeners in these parts ;)

Haha will do, cheers mate.

I will drop @eFestivals a pm.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Please don’t chime in on what is current if you don’t know anything about what is current 😂🤣

If we only spoke about stuff we were fully informed on this whole site would be a graveyard...

Just now, Matt42 said:

Really hope not but on paper it wouldn’t look out of place.

It would look pretty fucking weird imo. Whilst they're obviously a headliner sized act, there's a reason they've not headlined Glastonbury and were seemingly only considered as a special guest slot for this year.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

If we only spoke about stuff we were fully informed on this whole site would be a graveyard...

I put the 🤣😂 to try and give off a playful tone but saying Lady Gaga isn’t current and having no knowledge that she released two of the biggest pop singles this year is like a student coming to a test without revising. 

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

That would be my preferred option easily.

People are resigning themselves to Chillis and Gorillaz due to the scheduling. Emily would obviously rather book the three you have mentioned, but currently Chillis and Gorillaz are prime contenders based on the other shows they have announced, coupled with the fact they seem to be slotting in as replacements for our lost headliners. Everything Emily has said in recent months suggests that her ideal trio would be the one you mentioned, but you don't always get what you want...until Gaga announces a show in June/early July, though, I still think she's unlikely.

I'll concede The 1975 are in a very good position looking at the current dates and hopefully they get the nod.

Do you not get the feeling that this is Gaga's time to do it?  She peaked like 10 years ago, had a dip, and has had a resurgence lately - A Star is Born / Shallow and the new album which is a return to form.  Its now or never for her and I reckon if Emily asked her she would be mad not to take the opportunity.

Thom Yorke, Macca and Lady Gaga would be sensational. 

2 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Do you not get the feeling that this is Gaga's time to do it?  She peaked like 10 years ago, had a dip, and has had a resurgence lately - A Star is Born / Shallow and the new album which is a return to form.  Its now or never for her and I reckon if Emily asked her she would be mad not to take the opportunity.

I was thinking that, surely she would be asked and I reckon due to the history with the festival she would say yes, I bloody hope so as that would be one brilliant gig.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I put the 🤣😂 to try and give off a playful tone but saying Lady Gaga isn’t current and having no knowledge that she released two of the biggest pop singles this year is like a student coming to a test without revising. 

I know you were messing, cool your boots - don't want to have to lure you back onto the boards again ;)

Joking aside, it's easy to be up to speed on current without necessarily picking up mainstream pop. All about where you get your listening in!

Glastonbury does tend to get some people a bit late though. Taylor really should have been booked off the back of 1989/Reputation. I almost gave up hope before she was clearly playing this year.

edit: technically she was if you believe the info she agreed in 2017 but you get my point.

Edited by Matt42