2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

1 minute ago, kemosabe said:

I was thinking the same earlier this week when I found out that the Australian (Melbourne?) festival Splendor in the Grass has Gorillaz, Strokes and Tyler as their headliners in early 2021. I thought that sounded great (probably not for Glastonbury though). 

@Ken19 says RW couldn’t get Tyler because he asked to headline so I think the chances of glasto are quite slim :( 

I was thinking the same earlier this week when I found out that the Australian (Melbourne?) festival Splendor in the Grass has Gorillaz, Strokes and Tyler as their headliners in early 2021. I thought that sounded great (probably not for Glastonbury though)! I think Tyler would be the highlight of Glastonbury for me if he played. 

Primavera Sound has all three. Bit closer to home.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

@Ken19 says RW couldn’t get Tyler because he asked to headline so I think the chances of glasto are quite slim :( 

Ah man! Guess we have to hope its one of those classic "take a lower slot for Glastonbury" type things. I appreciate they're British, but I remember everyone was sure Biffy would want to headline and they ended up taking a sub-headline slot in 2017. Or Janet Jackson last year right (?).  

Edited by kemosabe

I was thinking the same earlier this week when I found out that the Australian (Melbourne?) festival Splendor in the Grass has Gorillaz, Strokes and Tyler as their headliners in early 2021. I thought that sounded great (probably not for Glastonbury though). 

It does sound good but people are snobs and when it comes to Glastonbury they expect trios that will never been done. 

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Primavera Sound has all three. Bit closer to home.

Ahhh yeah, I have some mates going to that - should of really checked the line up to see that. Very nice set of headliners.  

I don't want to sound like a broken record as I've said it on here before, but I really do think that Strokes are/were pencilled in to play Glastonbury this year (finally). 

8 minutes ago, jparx said:

In terms of what, though? Popularity? Quality?

Good question tbf. Both maybe?

I think there is being really popular then there is headlining Glastonbury because you're a good fit, and you are really popular.

I just don't think AG does? I know she did Coachella (which is now a celeb thing more than anything) however I really don't see her as a Glasto festival headliner. At least in recent years with Adele and Ed (solo headliner artists) there was this understanding from people who don't like them that they are at the top of their game and arguably should be there - I think AG will be seen as a bit of a shit booking by people who aren't keen on her, I feel people won't be as understanding as they were with Stormzy, Ed and Adele yet. I think that's kind of why they won't book her (especially alongside the 1975, who let's face it, aren't widely loved in the slightest). 

I think you obviously have to be elite to headline.

Personally, I don't see her in the elite class of female solo Pop artists. Gaga, Beyonce, Swift, Adele etc.

I think this kinda feeds back into my first point, if any of them 4 headline, to joe public and the media, it makes sense and it's a solid booking. With AG, it's almost as if they are taking a punt (which doesn't make sense because she IS huge) to get her on. Yeah, last 2 albums were decent but was anything before that good? Not that great imo. 

Let me just say tho, she is fucking huge. Of course I understand how big she is.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PolygonWindow said:

Yeah, last 2 albums were decent but was anything before that good? Not that great imo. 

There's been plenty of Pyramid headliners in the last decade who have only two (or fewer) good albums. This is a bit of a dead point if you ask me. 

Edited by Guy Incognito

1 hour ago, PolygonWindow said:

I think there is being really popular then there is headlining Glastonbury because you're a good fit, and you are really popular.

I just don't think AG does? I know she did Coachella (which is now a celeb thing more than anything) however I really don't see her as a Glasto festival headliner. At least in recent years with Adele and Ed (solo headliner artists) there was this understanding from people who don't like them that they are at the top of their game and arguably should be there - I think AG will be seen as a bit of a shit booking by people who aren't keen on her, I feel people won't be as understanding as they were with Stormzy, Ed and Adele yet. I think that's kind of why they won't book her (especially alongside the 1975, who let's face it, aren't widely loved in the slightest). 

Personally, I don't see her in the elite class of female solo Pop artists. Gaga, Beyonce, Swift, Adele etc.

I think this kinda feeds back into my first point, if any of them 4 headline, to joe public and the media, it makes sense and it's a solid booking. With AG, it's almost as if they are taking a punt (which doesn't make sense because she IS huge) to get her on. Yeah, last 2 albums were decent but was anything before that good? Not that great imo. 

Let me just say tho, she is fucking huge. Of course I understand how big she is.

Well put.

2 hours ago, PolygonWindow said:

ive argued against Ariana headlining right now because its been very difficult for her personally and mentally the last couple years. You could see she had zero desire to be out touring and such, but she had a job to do and doubly didnt want to let her fans down. She does have a sneaky deep catalog and if she focused herself on Glasto or doing the festival circuit the way she wanted to, it would probably be a solid performance. Coachella was haphazardly put together anyway for her and it got more pre performance hype than it needed. Too many technical issues, but it happens to the best of em. If you want to keep the bar so high then youll run out if acts pretty fast and then you’ll question bookings more down the line and get to the point that all 3 headliners are in the punt category. And if you wanted to term who was elite and who wasnt, you’ll have to put Taylor down a notch because of her vocal ability. Ariana is a lot better in that department. 

Edited by Suprefan

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

But which is worse - Royal Blood or Nickelback?

The first Nickelback album from before they were famous is actually one of the better grunge albums I’ve heard so they have one more good album than Royal Blood.

They also have some Weezer-level ‘how did anyone sign off on this?’ garbage which is again more interesting than Royal Blood.

• Upvote 1

@PolygonWindow I get that you don’t see her the same level as Adele and Ed Sheeran, but let’s not forget that Adele and Ed Sheeran (whether we like them or not) have careers which have written themselves into the history books and both are probably as big as pop acts get. Whether EFestivals like them or not they will be known as two of the most successful acts of this time. 

Yes if you compare Ariana to them both she will fall short, but if you compare the Killers to Fleetwood Mac the killers fall short. It doesn’t mean that the Killers can’t headline. 

The benchmark for a pop headliner is nowhere near as high as I think some think it to be. Plus - Ariana is highly influential to pop culture and to think she isn’t is a bit short sighted.

I think this all just comes down to personal preference. I can’t see how Ariana isn’t a good fit but Taylor is? Unless you’re going to make an argument that Taylor Swift isn’t a good booking either?

Also there’s a simpler point that I think holds a bit more weight. In terms of major pop figures to play the festival there aren’t many left that haven’t done it. Taylor not being able to make it aside, surely it’s Ariana’s turn next?

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

The first Nickelback album from before they were famous is actually one of the better grunge albums I’ve heard so they have one more good album than Royal Blood.

They also have some Weezer-level ‘how did anyone sign off on this?’ garbage which is again more interesting than Royal Blood.

Nickelback: the band that Royal Blood could have been

8 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Also there’s a simpler point that I think holds a bit more weight. In terms of major pop figures to play the festival there aren’t many left that haven’t done it. Taylor not being able to make it aside, surely it’s Ariana’s turn next?

Swift > Gaga > Grande >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eilish

Edited by FloorFiller
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Matt42 said:

The benchmark for a pop headliner is nowhere near as high as I think some think it to be. Plus - Ariana is highly influential to pop culture and to think she isn’t is a bit short sighted.

Okay. I’ll bite. I’m genuinely not being facetious here, but I’m really not aware of her having a significant pop-culture impact. I accept that I’m not her target market but I’m only aware of her because of the Manchester bombings (and the admirable way in which she dealt with them). I think I may have vaguely heard a few singles on Radio 1 since then but I can’t really remember. Have I missed a significant cultural moment?