2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

There's a massively different public perception of Grande in the UK given what happened in Manchester and her the bravura display of empathy and sheer talent at the subsequent tribute concert.

Yeah, that thought did cross my mind.  It certainly elevated her standing / reputation in the UK.  Can't speak for her actual performance as didn't see it or much about it, but it massively endeared her to people.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

It’s not as simple as starting a thread. First you have to define the requirement for a thread, then test the market to see what type of threads are available, check who the key stakeholders for such a thread would be...

I’m actually going to subcontract the starting of this thread to another forum user and will be running a rigorous and expensive tender process to find my ideal thread starter...

And we end up with a BBS and everyone issued a 14.4kbit/s modem to access it.

See, I know how procurement works.

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There's a massively different public perception of Grande in the UK given what happened in Manchester and her the bravura display of empathy and sheer talent at the subsequent tribute concert.

I’m genuinely shocked that Glastonbury did not sweep her up pretty soon after that. Ariana has done a lot in the U.K., played Manchester pride and she’s pretty much a household name here.

Worried we are going to have a bit of a Gaga situation with her. Where when she does end up headlining it will feel a few years too late. But better late than never!

21 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Is there a difference between Beiber headlining as opposed to someone like Ariana Grande?  I don't really see one

I can think of many. Ariana has already warmed to headlining festivals on her tour. It’s not a case of getting her for her first festival headline slot. She’s done plenty already.

Also yeah Ariana is more of a critical darling and an exciting zeitgeist.

The festival could book Bieber and Harry Styles if they wanted to but I don’t think the festival would want them as a front and centre (headlining) act. I doubt they would agree to play lower.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I’m genuinely shocked that Glastonbury did not sweep her up pretty soon after that. Ariana has done a lot in the U.K., played Manchester pride and she’s pretty much a household name here.

Worried we are going to have a bit of a Gaga situation with her. Where when she does end up headlining it will feel a few years too late. But better late than never!

Manchester was 2017, so 2017 was off the cards and 2018 was a fallow.  Could have been last year I guess but have zero idea of how active she was then, ditto with what would have bee this year's.

Caveat: obviously an artist's activity level isn't the sole indicator of whether they'd play or not, but definitely a factor.

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

Manchester was 2017, so 2017 was off the cards and 2018 was a fallow.  Could have been last year I guess but have zero idea of how active she was then, ditto with what would have bee this year's.

Caveat: obviously an artist's activity level isn't the sole indicator of whether they'd play or not, but definitely a factor.

She headlined Coachella last year, so she was definitely about (although not sure if she was active or in the country in the Summer).

Bringing most of *NSYNC out was a nice touch at Coachella, could see something like that being replicated at Glasto (bringing out Gaga for example).

Edited by Zacko

Booking Gaga for 2021 would be like booking AC/DC for Donington in 1991. Sure it's not the Back in Black tour, but equally Razors Edge was much better than Flick of the Switch era. So not Gaga at the absolutely height of her powers, but she's come through a bit of a down patch and got a couple more great singles under her belt and a solid new album.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Ariana definitely fits the criteria for an artist who might have agreed to do it on their next tour if she hasn’t really had a chance since 2019

I'm all in for Ari 2021/22 now. Make it happen Emily!!

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Ariana Grande exists in a world completely outside of my own bubble, only thing I really know of her is obviously the tragic events in Manchester. Couldn’t name one of her songs at all.

Will have to take the word of you lot on whether she’s headline material.

It's ok, you can join me and Cream Soda at the Acoustic

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1

So Gorillaz and Tame Impala seem to be co headlining RW according to Ken. Tame Impala was a hint, but seems likely to be them. That would be “replacing” either SOAD or Kendrick.

If Tame didn’t just smash it on the Other at the last festival I’d throw their hat in the ring. Yes obviously not quite big enough, lack of bangers or whatever other criticism you want to make, but the list of potential headliners doesn’t seem very extensive at this stage.