2021 Headliners

19 minutes ago, sisco said:

Have Boardmasters and Glastonbury ever shared a headliner? 

Not sure what relevance this is.

Boardmasters typically sells about 50,000 tickets these days, which puts them in the conversation for major acts. Obviously not all of their headliners are suitable for Glastonbury, but equally someone playing Boardmasters doesn't automatically mean they're not Pyramid level. Especially as even their weakest headliner probably gets paid more than any Pyramid act bar the Stones ever has.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Not sure what relevance this is.

Boardmasters typically sells about 50,000 tickets these days, which puts them in the conversation for major acts. Obviously not all of their headliners are suitable for Glastonbury, but equally someone playing Boardmasters doesn't automatically mean they're not Pyramid level. Especially as even their weakest headliner probably gets paid more than any Pyramid act bar the Stones ever has.

I asked a question out of curiosity.  No hidden agenda.  

Headliners have always been a game of numbers and it’s nothing to do with chin stroking.

Drake, Ariana Grande, Travis Scott, The Weeknd, The 1975, Billie Eilish are all acts that would polarise the chin strokers... but they are undeniable headliners and would all smash a headline set if they were given one.

• Like 1

Sorry, I'm late to the party on this...but has there actually been "news" (and by that I mean info of any kind) about Kendrick and Taylor being out? Or are we just assuming...? (And if so, based on what?)

Edit: I did try scrolling back through but I can't find the answer!

Edited by Sasperella

Just now, Sasperella said:

Sorry, I'm late to the party on this...but has there actually been "news" (and by that I mean info of any kind) about Kendrick and Taylor being out? Or are we just assuming...? (And if so, based on what?)

Festival announcements which back up some info shared by reliable efestival posters. Mad Cool and WooHa have said that Taylor and Kendrick are not honouring their Euro festival commitments.

1 minute ago, Sasperella said:

A couple of European festivals have confirmed that they haven't been rebooked for next year 

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Headliners have always been a game of numbers and it’s nothing to do with chin stroking.

Dunno about that.  Numbers have definitely got to play a part in it, but there's also the decision of whether they're "right" for the festival, which I guess comes down to Emily and the team making a call on whatever their own criteria are.

Just out of curiosity have they ever given interview details about the process? I'm sure they must have but a cursory search didn't turn anything immediate up.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Dunno about that.  Numbers have definitely got to play a part in it, but there's also the decision of whether they're "right" for the festival, which I guess comes down to Emily and the team making a call on whatever their own criteria are.

Just out of curiosity have they ever given interview details about the process? I'm sure they must have but a cursory search didn't turn anything immediate up.

If it was just about numbers the likes of Take That and 1D would have headlined.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

I imagine it’s the same as any business dealing. One party will reach out to the other, a request for proposal. The other will issue a proposal in some shape or form, and then there will be a negotiation on price and slot and if it looks like a goer they will seal the deal.

I struggle to see how Drake, Ariana Grande, Travis Scott, The Weeknd, The 1975, Billie Eilish - would not be considered right for the festival though? It’s probably more of a fee expectation or lack of interest issue than one party deciding they will never do it.

Said it before but if/when the right person tells Drake that Glastonbury is something good for him to do/profile raising he will be on the phone and his team will be flexible with the fee. Bookmark this prediction. Same goes for Travis Scott.

I would not be surprised if the festival has already approached Ariana’s team.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

If it was just about numbers the likes of Take That and 1D would have headlined.

Slight misunderstanding of my point here. By game of numbers I’m talking about whether an act can or can’t headline. If you can fill that pyramid field you can headline. If you can fight off the competition on other stages you can headline.

In my view, what holds back Foals, Nick Cave, etc from headlining is they can’t command the numbers to make the headline set work. Put them up against any strong competition and they will struggle.

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Struggling to see Travis Scott as being on the festival's current shortlist of potential headliners.

Following Jay-Z, Kanye, Kendrick, surely its following that progression to book highly influential artists in rap / hip hop?

The 1975 // Macca // Arctic Monkeys

Or

The 1975 // Arctic Monkeys // Macca

Would be one of the best trio of pyramid headliners they could reasonably book for my taste.

It isn't very diversed at all, as they're all from the North, as well being all white males with guitars.

But I'd still enjoy it for what it is, a trio of bands that make music that I enjoy and would know most of the songs / lyrics, which is a pretty rare occurrence and an opportunity that should be made the most of.

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I imagine it’s the same as any business dealing. One party will reach out to the other, a request for proposal. The other will issue a proposal in some shape or form, and then there will be a negotiation on price and slot and if it looks like a goer they will seal the deal.

I struggle to see how Drake, Ariana Grande, Travis Scott, The Weeknd, The 1975, Billie Eilish - would not be considered right for the festival though? It’s probably more of a fee expectation or lack of interest issue than one party deciding they will never do it.

Said it before but if/when the right person tells Drake that Glastonbury is something good for him to do/profile raising he will be on the phone and his team will be flexible with the fee. Bookmark this prediction. Same goes for Travis Scott.

I would not be surprised if the festival has already approached Ariana’s team.

Yeah I know how deals work Matt, been in procurement for 15 years ;)

Point is more what intangible criteria the festival has for deciding on headliners, including touring schedules, availability etc.  So who they decide to approach in the first place before the negotiations start.

Hugh's Take That / 1D examples are bit beyond the pale, but it does highlight the point.  You could probably argue that at one point Take That would have filled a Pyramid slot, but that doesn't make them "right".

It's not a question we'll be able to answer ourselves tbh, just an interesting idea.  We as fans bang on about what's right or not for a headliner, just be interesting to know if Emily's sat in the office banging her head on the table while everyone in the office is playing the "Is X big enough?" game.  In an ideal world they'd all be texting their mums with a list of possible headliners for feedback :D

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yeah I know how deals work Matt, been in procurement for 15 years ;)

Point is more what intangible criteria the festival has for deciding on headliners, including touring schedules, availability etc.  So who they decide to approach in the first place before the negotiations start.

Hugh's Take That / 1D examples are bit beyond the pale, but it does highlight the point.  You could probably argue that at one point Take That would have filled a Pyramid slot, but that doesn't make them "right".

It's not a question we'll be able to answer ourselves tbh, just an interesting idea.  We as fans bang on about what's right or not for a headliner, just be interesting to know if Emily's sat in the office banging her head on the table while everyone in the office is playing the "Is X big enough?" game.  In an ideal world they'd all be texting their mums with a list of possible headliners for feedback :D

Haha fair enough. There probably is a criteria, but I do think the take that / 1D comparison is a bit flat though. The acts I listed above are no way in the same pile as Take That and 1D. All of these artists have a history of being booked / playing festivals already. There is much greater proximity with these acts to Glastonbury than Gazza Tory Barlow.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Haha fair enough. There probably is a criteria, but I do think the take that / 1D comparison is a bit flat though. The acts I listed above are no way in the same pile as Take That and 1D. All of these artists have a history of being booked / playing festivals already. There is much greater proximity with these acts to Glastonbury than Gazza Tory Barlow.

Aye, ignoring Hugh's trolling (I see you, Jass) it just shows that there is definitely an intangible "something" about who gets booked.

I'd probably have been there for Take That btw. Zero shame in a smashed singalong to Never Forget

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Aye, ignoring Hugh's trolling (I see you, Jass) it just shows that there is definitely an intangible "something" about who gets booked.

I'd probably have been there for Take That btw. Zero shame in a smashed singalong to Never Forget

Could make a decent Sunday afternoon slot.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I’m surprised that discussion about the 1975 has dropped off? As competition dwindles I’m starting to think it may well be their time.

“Starting to”? 🤨

I don’t believe they were lined up for 2021 in advance because of what they were saying about fancying playing 2020. And I think, when presented with options for acts touring next year, they’ll lose out. @Guy Incognito yes to RHCP also who are sadly a much bigger band.

I think it’s all a bit like when Biffy Clyro were touted (yes, on here) as the undeniable ‘next Glastonbury headliner’ after headline shows at Reading, TITP, IOW and then Glastonbury went and denied them.

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I got my degree from the School of Everyone Hates The Procurement Guy.

You're definitely in procurement in that case.

Someone I used to work with (different team) once collared me and said his nephew was thinking of getting into procurement, and asked if I had any useful suggestions.  I just told him that if his nephew places value on being liked or popular, he should consider something else...

Edited by Quark