2021 Headliners

5 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I know I was just surprised they were so small. 

Just had a look at the first pop act that came to mind and sales figures are comparable considering the time difference. I don't believe album sales has any relevance.

image.thumb.png.cff113b5c1d9c4c2879f3567e1249036.png

image.thumb.png.369b5977b01dd1106d78917f017cdfe9.png

If they can’t get a Female Headliner 1975/Macca/Arctics looks pretty typical. If Macca won’t do it (age might be a factor) I’d guess Flo Pretty likely. Might be easier to book 3 British headliners in the current climate.

42 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Nah, I think it was a thing before COVID. Feels like they’d been gigging a lot  in the last few years. I go via North Greenwich tube most days on my way to/from work and it felt like they were playing there a few times a year. Dunno if they’ve just over-saturated themselves a little.

Of course this could all be in my imagination.

Not your imagination at all - I am a big fan of them and agree with you 100% on that.  Kinda get the feeling that they have peaked

Edited by circus92

Yeah Gaga’s sales aren’t as strong as Born This Way / Fame era - there is no denying this, but she still does very well and has a consistent string of #1 albums. Has she had an album since her first which hasn’t gone #1? Cheek to Cheek doesn’t really count.

I also don’t get the comparison to Ariana as some sort of indication that Gaga isn’t that big? Ariana is absolutely massive and if she was to pop up at Glasto she’d be headlining the whole shebang too.

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I’m very perplexed at this take that there’s no hype behind the 1975 or that they aren’t a strong option for the festival? I think some of you are looking in the wrong places.

They aren’t as omnipresent as they were a couple of years ago, but to me thats more because they’ve settled in to their top tier/headliner role now rather than being an upcoming hype act, plus they’ve been on the touring circuit for like three years straight so probably not quite as exciting a prospect, but still easily the next in line for a Glastonbury headline slot. If they’re not there next year then Glastonbury really took their time getting what was always an obvious option.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m very perplexed at this take that there’s no hype behind the 1975 or that they aren’t a strong option for the festival? I think some of you are looking in the wrong places.

Not sure anyone's said that have they? Two main arguments against it happening seem at be a) other options (i.e. Gaga) might be preferable b) they their popularity may have already peaked. 

I don't think either of those views means that there's no hype or aren't still a strong option.  

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Have Boardmasters and Glastonbury ever shared a headliner? 

1 minute ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Not sure anyone's said that have they? Two main arguments against it happening seem at be a) other options (i.e. Gaga) might be preferable b) they their popularity may have already peaked. 

I don't think either of those views means that there's no hype or aren't still a strong option.  

I suggested that they may have peaked but in the same post admitted that they are a legitimate headliner these days.

Am I the only one who thinks 1975 are pretty underwhelming especially for a major anniversary+1 like next year will be? Sure they will be fine for headlining Leeds/Reading etc but this the delayed Glasto 50th. Surely they should be aiming a lot higher. 

3 minutes ago, sisco said:

Have Boardmasters and Glastonbury ever shared a headliner? 

Maybe not, but what with a lot of festivals carrying over from this year etc it’s not your typical year and it they were already due to headline Glastonbury 2021 I don’t think this is what’s gonna stop them.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think you are misunderstanding the point being made.  They are absolutely a strong option, in fact I have been constantly surprised at all the other rumours eg chillis given that I reckon The 1975 are nailed on for next year after the recent news about Kendrick and Taylor.

That doesn’t change the fact they have been overexposed in recent years

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

Am I the only one who thinks 1975 are pretty underwhelming especially for a major anniversary+1 like next year will be? Sure they will be fine for headlining Leeds/Reading etc but this the delayed Glasto 50th. Surely they should be aiming a lot higher. 

It’s not the 50th - it’s the 51st, and if they were already lined up to headline the 51st then I’m sure Glastonbury would rather keep them than searching aimlessly for somebody bigger/‘better’.

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

Their Reading headliner set was more than enough for me to confirm they are strong headliner material

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

As I said earlier, you can only book who is available. If the big hitters are unavailable or unwilling to come over then you have to look a bit lower.

They’re a headline sized act doing it for the first time. I’m sure they’ll go down a storm, I’ll just be elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

Their Reading headliner set was more than enough for me to confirm they are strong headliner material

I saw them at Sziget the same year. Was not impressed at all. I ended up going off to watch a tribute act instead. 

12 minutes ago, circus92 said:

I think you are misunderstanding the point being made.  They are absolutely a strong option, in fact I have been constantly surprised at all the other rumours eg chillis given that I reckon The 1975 are nailed on for next year after the recent news about Kendrick and Taylor.

That doesn’t change the fact they have been overexposed in recent years

Yeah they have been overexposed but I don’t think it’s that much of an issue when it comes to Glastonbury. It’s very hard to stay on top of who is trendy all the time. 

I do think Glastonbury have been waiting for the 1975 to be ready before giving them the call. It’s clear that they weren’t willing to give them a bump up, and instead waited for them to be a cemented headliner. If they’ve booked them for 2021 it’s probably because they wanted them in this “overexposed” position.