2021 Headliners

6 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I think he would still do Glastonbury though, he's been very vocal in wanting to do it and he goes to the festival each year anyway. 

I think the info said that he originally planned to take a year off in 2021, so he probably just canned the tour. Might have had some holidays booked.

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, sisco said:

I did.  It’s one thing going on the piss, it’s another thing getting the band together and rehearsing all for 1 gig.   Hopefully he’s there as he’s one of my mates must sees (yeah I know) but at the min with that info I’d side that he’s not confirmed at the min

We shall see.  I think he would be a good booking, like or loathe him he has a good back catalogue of material, I still think the Saturday will be him leading into PMc.

5 minutes ago, sisco said:

We can all believe what we want too.  But will he do it as a 1 off show? Not many do.  

Of course it could be that he hasn’t firmed up his touring plans just yet

I think it could be a bit of a Jack White thing where he did Glastonbury as a one off show here.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Is COVID not something to do with this though? The lack of being able to perform and releasing an album during a pandemic is tough stuff. I don’t think a lot of people are putting that much energy into following music at the moment.

Nah, I think it was a thing before COVID. Feels like they’d been gigging a lot  in the last few years. I go via North Greenwich tube most days on my way to/from work and it felt like they were playing there a few times a year. Dunno if they’ve just over-saturated themselves a little.

Of course this could all be in my imagination.

46 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I see a few people switching Macca to the Sunday which makes sense if his calendar is going to have a bit more flexibility and your Taylor replacement is going to be a bit less 'local crowd pleasing'. How do folk feel about that?

It seems hyper-critical to complain about it as long as he's there but I was looking forward to having a big Saturday night with the Macca. Sunday will be great too obviously, will just need to show a bit of self-restraint on the Saturday to make sure I'm fit for it.

I like this idea. A big Headliner on Sunday always makes for a better festival and a big old cheesy singalong will work really well. 

Hopefully they move Pet Shop Boys (they were Sunday weren’t they?) rather than have two Oldies clashing.

For what it’s worth I think it’ll be:

The 1975 or Arctic Monkeys

Paul Mccartney

Taylor Swift, Florence and the Machine, Billie Eilish or Lady Gaga.

I think it’s clear they had made a massive effort to get female headliners this year across main stages.  Can’t see them wanting to change that.

(I appreciate it’s a big list)

Just now, sisco said:

Paul Mccartney

I think it’s clear they had made a massive effort to get female headliners this year across main stages.  Can’t see them wanting to change that.

If Gaga can't do it (Swift we know is out), we are geting 3 males imo.

Getting 3 males doesn't tarnish all they do to showcase equality in the slightest. 

Considering the Stones played the Saturday and Mumfords the Sunday in 2013 I really don’t think Macca is gonna move around to please the locals. I mean, they’re hardly gonna have a death metal band headline the Sunday - it’s still gonna be a crowd pleaser regardless - so I’m still thinking Macca for Saturday. Saturday has largely been the ‘big’ day for a while now.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Mentioned it before but the 1975's Edinburgh show in August was in the same venue as Michael Kiwanuka and McFly and it wasn't sold out by the time it was canned.

Kiwanuka / The 1975 / McFly confirmed? 

Just now, PolygonWindow said:

Getting 3 males doesn't tarnish all they do to showcase equality in the slightest. 

It doesn't and no one can criticize the festival for not doing everything in their power to improve this situation, if this becomes the case it'll be down to their hand being forced by the COVID situation rather than the want of trying. However I think Emily and the team will be gutted because they'd done a great job this year. 

1 minute ago, PolygonWindow said:

If Gaga can't do it (Swift we know is out), we are geting 3 males imo.

Yeah, it’s just a fact that the female headliner pool is smaller so losing Swift was always gonna make it likely that the headliners would be all male again. It’s something they can hopefully amend further down the lineup. 

3 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Just took a look at Lady Gaga's album sales on Wikipedia...I didn't realise they were so small in recent years!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Gaga_discography

None of her albums since her debut have really taken off in the same way, with her most recent seemingly being a return to form for a lot of people. Would still be a massive headliner if they managed to get her though.

10 minutes ago, sisco said:

Paul Mccartney

I'm still of a mind that Arctic Monkeys will have been the first call Emily made when/if a headliner spot became available. If there is indeed one of more slots available next year my money would be on them taking one of them.

Accepting there is some sliver of happiness left in this godforsaken timeline we currently all occupy then McCartney will remain as one of the other two, the third slot I think is wide open. 

I'd imagine they'll do there best to secure Gaga, then maybe Billie and if neither of them fancy it then it'll probably go to either 1975 or Florence who I'm sure wouldn't have an issue stepping up. 

6 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

It doesn't and no one can criticize the festival for not doing everything in their power to improve this situation, if this becomes the case it'll be down to their hand being forced by the COVID situation rather than the want of trying. However I think Emily and the team will be gutted because they'd done a great job this year. 

It is a shame, and they did do a great job.

Equality direction will absolutely influence festivals world-wide, it's quite clearly the correct way to go around bookings however due to the limited COVID female headliner pool, the message won't be expressed through the Pyramid headliners imo.

Especially not when you need star power to make up for 2 enormous headliners dropping out.

I’m surprised to see so many people saying The 1975 are one of the last options when it seems pretty clear to me that they’d be one of the first on the list. Already up and touring, were more than likely gonna top the bill for 2021 anyway imo, seems like it’s their time more than ever. I’m struggling to imagine the 2021 lineup without them topping the Friday at this point outside of their rescheduled 2020 gigs getting in the way for whatever reason.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

I’m surprised to see so many people saying The 1975 are one of the last options when it seems pretty clear to me that they’d be one of the first on the list. Already up and touring, were more than likely gonna top the bill for 2021 anyway imo, seems like it’s their time more than ever. I’m struggling to imagine the 2021 lineup without them topping the Friday at this point outside of their rescheduled 2020 gigs getting in the way for whatever reason.

I think they are already in for Friday.