2021 Headliners

12 hours ago, eastynh said:

There was a press release last week stating that they were working on new material for a new album, in their respective home studios. They had not booked a collective studio due to the Covid pandemic. They go in 4 year cycles so hopefully the album will be ready for late spring next year.

They will then set off on their own tour. If they are going to do festivals and they usually do, I would expect them to be in 2022. They did IOW last time and it was pretty well received I think. They always makes noises about wanting to play glasto but then there always seems to be excuses. After filling West Hams stadium on the last tour, their profile has never been bigger over here. They will probably take the cash and do one of those day festivals in London.

For what it is worth, I would advise anyone to go see them in Germany or one of the Eastern Block countries. Its an entirely different world. I am hoping to do LA and somewhere in South America next year. The obsession with them in LA is unreal.

Yeah, living   here ( in LA ) and when DM comes around always has a lot of buzz. First band to play 4 nights at the Hollywood Bowl in one run. It was a fun weekend. Just glad they finally took Dave’s voice into consideration and spread out their dates so back to back dates were sparse. Hoping they do show up at Glasto finally, but I think it would have to be this album cycle or the next cause I think there is almost nothing left for them to do. Maybe do another greatest hits tour and ride off into the sunset.

Edited by Suprefan

To be honest I know the various bits of Macca nuggets sounded promising but I’m bracing myself for him skipping next year too. Seems to be a real anxiety around these big American based acts touring over here next year. Until he’s fully confirmed I’m not sure I’d take it granted yet. Very much of the view now that Macca is the best case scenario and not fussed who the other two headliners are.

Edited by jparx

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

To be honest I know the various bits of Macca nuggets sounded promising but I’m bracing myself for him skipping next year too. Seems to be a real anxiety around these big American based acts touring over here next year. Until he’s fully confirmed I’m not sure I’d take it granted yet. Very much of the view now that Macca is the best case scenario and not fussed who the other two headliners are.

Macca has homes in the US but I think he's largely based in the UK.

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

I know it's Monday morning and all but let's stop that nonsense right now. My brains and emotions can't handle it. 

22 minutes ago, jparx said:

2021: Billie Eilish / Red Hot Chilli Peppers / Paul McCartney

2022: Kendrick Lamar / Taylor Swift / Elton John

Thinking 2021 - The 1975 / Paul McCartney / Billie Eilish.

I’m also thinking we could have a couple of blokes scenario and no female headliner.

The 1975 / Paul McCartney / Arctic Monkeys.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don’t think it’ll be that three you’ve picked out for 2021 but shit, that’s still a headline set that’s well above-par for any festival. Any with Paul McCartney is.

Macca’s great, and will continue to be great. I’m just bracing myself for the worse case scenario if the other two pull out.*

*Yes, this is purely down to personal taste and not a comment on the headlining chops of either act. Both of whom are perfectly capable of headlining...

Hopefully I was just being a neggy nelly on Macca before my Monday morning coffee. As @dentalplan rightly says, McCartney is still a huge booking and probably not doing other festivals (unless he’s drafted in as a replacement, but money seems to be the issue with other events), and even if you swap in something like Chillis for Taylor it’s still a strong trio.

If he’s still there I’m genuinely not too fussed about who else they get. Macca at Glastonbury after (hopefully) we are through this mess would be a dream scenario. Anything else is a bonus.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Macca’s great, and will continue to be great. I’m just bracing myself for the worse case scenario if the other two pull out.*

*Yes, this is purely down to personal taste and not a comment on the headlining chops of either act. Both of whom are perfectly capable of headlining...

If your worst case scenario is seeing Paul McCartney you’re living the life, man.

• Like 1

I see a few people switching Macca to the Sunday which makes sense if his calendar is going to have a bit more flexibility and your Taylor replacement is going to be a bit less 'local crowd pleasing'. How do folk feel about that?

It seems hyper-critical to complain about it as long as he's there but I was looking forward to having a big Saturday night with the Macca. Sunday will be great too obviously, will just need to show a bit of self-restraint on the Saturday to make sure I'm fit for it.

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If your worst case scenario is seeing Paul McCartney you’re living the life, man.

I’m assuming Macca is staying on. Losing him on top of the others would be too much.

I wasn’t actually as excited for Macca as the others, it will be great and I’ll love it when I’m in the field but I’ve seen him a few times, including headlining Glastonbury, so I know exactly what to expect from the guy. It slightly dampens the excitement level.

12 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Worth noting that Taylor Swift is also largely UK based.

Taylor not wanting to commit to schlepping around Europe until things settle down and instead just focus on shows in the US and UK where she already has residence is certainly our only ray of hope. A short US tour in May/June followed by a big outdoor gig and Glastonbury in the UK. It’s hard to imagine she doesn’t do a UK gig in some form or fashion next year.

Personally not entertaining it, but if you were so inclined that’s what you’d cling to.

1 minute ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I see a few people switching Macca to the Sunday which makes sense if his calendar is going to have a bit more flexibility and your Taylor replacement is going to be a bit less 'local crowd pleasing'. How do folk feel about that?

Closing out the festival with “Naaaaaa na na Nanna na naaaaaa!!!”? What’s not to like?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

It seems hyper-critical to complain about it as long as he's there but I was looking forward to having a big Saturday night with the Macca. Sunday will be great too obviously, will just need to show a bit of self-restraint on the Saturday to make sure I'm fit for it.

So in the nine Glastonbury's I've been to I've never seen a Sunday night Pyramid headliner. 

There's no way I'm missing Macca. Maybe this is meant to be.