2021 Headliners

12 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

Just to add to the Taylor Swift stuff, someone posted in the NOS Alive thread that their promoter said she isn’t touring Europe next year. They’re also apparently still missing one headliner. So far they’ve announced our good pals Red Hot Chili Peppers (presumably to replace Swift), the other headliners from this year were The Strokes, Billie Eilish and Kendrick Lamar. We know The Strokes are active next summer and I think most people are expecting Billie Eilish to be back too, so it would make sense if Kendrick’s still undecided on touring which I think fits with what yer man Ken has been saying.

^^^ @jparx @FloorFiller

Ah this was my mistake. I didn’t realise Kendrick was playing NOS alive too. His announcement for that festival pretty much slipped my mind.

Lets hope that NOS Alive are scrambling to replace Da Wesel and they’ve kept both Kendrick and Billie.

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Interesting that you joined the site directly after Matts departure and your first post was to defend him. 

🤔

If you’re insinuating he’s me then I can assure you he’s not. 🤣 Neil can check the IP addresses to see if they match if you want proof.

I don’t want to give it any attention.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jparx said:

I'd like to see Glastonbury try and reserve one headline spot each year for an act that's not quite big enough and give them a leg up. I don't think it would damage them at all, and in the long run it creates more future headliners anyway.

Just purely hypothetically speaking, what if you had:

Lana Del Rey / Macca / Arctic Monkeys

Obviously LDR may not be around, but she's a good example for this I think. She's a headliner at most other festivals and she's got the material for a full headline set. She's unlikely to get any bigger than she currently is just by releasing more records. Sure she would have a smaller crowd than your typical headliner, but does it really matter? And I think in some cases you would be surprised how many people turn up for it. I wouldn't make it a really strict rule or anything, but perhaps a loose goal for each festival. If you went that way, you open yourself up to so many headliner options and you can still throw in the "safe" bets like RHCP without the festival coming across as stale. It just makes the whole thing more interesting and exciting. You could have a list like this for potential headliners:

LDR

Foals

The XX

Lorde 

Dua Lipa

Tama Impala

Bon Iver

Sure, none of those are headliners by the usual standards, but pretty much all of them have headlined festivals all across Europe at this point so they have the chops to put on a big show. I really don't think you're losing anything by going that way. I'm sure people would spit out their dummies for the first few years of doing it, but so what? It's still going to sell out, and it benefits both the festival and the the artists in the long run.

I don't think this is a bad idea at all, those slightly smaller acts would see the headline slot as a massive deal and likely put a lot of effort in to it, it wouldn't just be another slot on the Europe festival circuit. I think we could see some really exciting sets put together if they saw it as a chance to prove themselves. 

A couple of pages ago, we were talking about bumping acts up to becoming headliners. I don't think it is happening for 2021, but thoughts on Royal Blood?

Their Pyramid set in 2017 (which astonishingly, when you realise it, is only 2 festivals ago) was huge and went down so well. I'd imagine they were due for a new album this summer, but the bastard virus obviously changed those plans. Could anyone see them getting a good spot, maybe sub-Pyramid or headlining Other in 2021, and then maybe getting a headline set in 2022, should it go down well, similar to Stormzy?

1 hour ago, jparx said:

I'd like to see Glastonbury try and reserve one headline spot each year for an act that's not quite big enough and give them a leg up. I don't think it would damage them at all, and in the long run it creates more future headliners anyway.

Obviously LDR may not be around, but she's a good example for this I think. She's a headliner at most other festivals and she's got the material for a full headline set. She's unlikely to get any bigger than she currently is just by releasing more records. Sure she would have a smaller crowd than your typical headliner, but does it really matter? And I think in some cases you would be surprised how many people turn up for it. I wouldn't make it a really strict rule or anything, but perhaps a loose goal for each festival. If you went that way, you open yourself up to so many headliner options and you can still throw in the "safe" bets like RHCP without the festival coming across as stale. It just makes the whole thing more interesting and exciting. You could have a list like this for potential headliners:

LDR

Foals

The XX

Lorde 

Dua Lipa

Tama Impala

Bon Iver

Sure, none of those are headliners by the usual standards, but pretty much all of them have headlined festivals all across Europe at this point so they have the chops to put on a big show. I really don't think you're losing anything by going that way. I'm sure people would spit out their dummies for the first few years of doing it, but so what? It's still going to sell out, and it benefits both the festival and the the artists in the long run.

Don’t even joke about Bon Iver headlining the pyramid.

I would be in tears from song number 1, the absolute dream.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jparx said:

LDR

Foals

The XX

Lorde 

Dua Lipa

Tama Impala

Bon Iver

It’s seems that’s kind of what Glastonbury’s been traditionally pretty good at as well. Up until Jay Z/ Beyoncé. I feel the massive American superstars didn’t necessarily come play Glastonbury. The last 12 years seems to me to be a massive step up in the size of band playing. I mean in 1999 it was REM, Manic Street Preachers and Skunk Anansie for example.

As for the headliners you state, I reckon they’d all smash it as well. Indeed, often in the history of the festival it is slightly smaller acts getting their chance to perform on the Pyramid and putting in the performance of a lifetime that becomes these seminal moments we remember. I could certainly see someone like The XX, Foals or Lana doing that. 

57 minutes ago, Bahrain Boy said:

Honestly, just stay gone you weirdo.

Don’t you dare come on this forum and start throwing insults around you nasty person!

glastonbury is the most inclusive festival in the world and therefore we live by those values on these forums! We may not agree with what each other say, but we listen to them and debate it! 

if you’ve got nothing nice to say then leave.

welcome back @Matt42

2 minutes ago, Bahrain Boy said:

Who do you think you are? I've already apologised and we've moved past it. Stop acting like a Knight in shining armour who arrives after the Princess has been rescued from the tower. You're not impressing anybody.

Hardly making a good first impression are you lad

Er, anyway.

Really interested to see who Mad Cool have left to announce, which we should know by end of August. Sounds like some of the acts are embargoed. Lady Gaga seems a huge long shot to me in all honesty, but here's hoping we see her crop up there, and at the likes of RW, NOS etc.

Just now, Sdsm123 said:

Then why are you here?

To talk about festivals.

I made a mistake, said something I shouldn't have done then apologised. It doesn't make it right, but having people like you come on here to pile on does not help anybody. Why even respond?

Obviously you're trying to show off to gain meaningless internet points as you're not interesting enough to gain them any other way.

Just now, jparx said:

Er, anyway.

Really interested to see who Mad Cool have left to announce, which we should know by end of August. Sounds like some of the acts are embargoed. Lady Gaga seems a huge long shot to me in all honesty, but here's hoping we see her crop up there, and at the likes of RW, NOS etc.

The Strokes are one. I know someone in their camp.

3 minutes ago, Bahrain Boy said:

To talk about festivals.

I made a mistake, said something I shouldn't have done then apologised. It doesn't make it right, but having people like you come on here to pile on does not help anybody. Why even respond?

Obviously you're trying to show off to gain meaningless internet points as you're not interesting enough to gain them any other way.

Really are a stupid person aren’t you! 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

Just to add to the Taylor Swift stuff, someone posted in the NOS Alive thread that their promoter said she isn’t touring Europe next year. They’re also apparently still missing one headliner. So far they’ve announced our good pals Red Hot Chili Peppers (presumably to replace Swift), the other headliners from this year were The Strokes, Billie Eilish and Kendrick Lamar. We know The Strokes are active next summer and I think most people are expecting Billie Eilish to be back too, so it would make sense if Kendrick’s still undecided on touring which I think fits with what yer man Ken has been saying.

Could the Strokes be one of the Glastonbury headliners next year? 

Wouldn’t surprise me if the rumors about them doing a secret set in 2019 was from the festival to gauge reaction/ to see how popular they are. Then subsequently they were pencilled in for 2021. Would also fit with Emily’s ‘haven’t played before clue’.