2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

A Little Mix?

I’ll never forget that eFests Brits night. Cynics did their cynicism. Then The Mix did their thing. Universal awe. Best live posting I’ve seen - on here - second only to Ariana Grande’s Manchester gig. 

7 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

To be fair I wrote out a whole reply there thinking you meant in the decade haha. It’s an interesting thought. Guess it depends what you mean by ‘pop’. The list of rock acts making their way up to festival headliners is getting slimmer as it’s just not the current trend, but I still struggle to imagine two all out pop acts topping the bill, lest it becomes a V Festival-like thing. Guess only time will tell.

Edited my post now!

I dunno if it would become a V fest type thing since the pop acts we’re talking about are genuinely critically acclaimed and at the forefront of the genre. I don’t think they will book pop for the sake of it, for the same reason why I don’t think they will book Drake just because he’s a popular pop/hip hop act act when his recent output at least has been largely pants. 

Say Beyonce decides to tour in 2022 and they already have Taylor booked - I seriously don’t think Emily would avoid booking Beyonce in that instance because it means two pop headliners. She will look at it as having two of the biggest, most important and critically acclaimed artists of the 21st century topping the bill. They may not end up with two pop headliners due to availability, but I don’t think it’ll be a lack of willing.

Edited by jparx

21 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Just to add to the Taylor Swift stuff, someone posted in the NOS Alive thread that their promoter said she isn’t touring Europe next year. They’re also apparently still missing one headliner. So far they’ve announced our good pals Red Hot Chili Peppers (presumably to replace Swift), the other headliners from this year were The Strokes, Billie Eilish and Kendrick Lamar. We know The Strokes are active next summer and I think most people are expecting Billie Eilish to be back too, so it would make sense if Kendrick’s still undecided on touring which I think fits with what yer man Ken has been saying.

Wondering about Arctic Monkeys, or the lack thereof. If they're supposed to be back touring again next summer they're doing a good job of hiding it so far on the BBK Live/Mad Cool and NOS Alive (and perhaps TRNSMT?) lineups. Not sure if Ken has mentioned their presence yet.

It won't surprise you to know I'm fully anticipating the seedy Angelenos on Sunday night at this point.

Chillis do look a very likely replacement at this point. The only real counter argument is they’re shit now (or always were, depending on your take).

If their 2020 and 2021 plans are left in tatters with acts not rebooking/delaying tours, CalGon may as well start ironing his socks.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Wondering about Arctic Monkeys, or the lack thereof. If they're supposed to be back touring again next summer they're doing a good job of hiding it so far on the BBK Live/Mad Cool and NOS Alive (and perhaps TRNSMT?) lineups. Not sure if Ken has mentioned their presence yet.

It won't surprise you to know I'm fully anticipating the seedy Angelenos on Sunday night at this point.

My only take on AM not being announced yet is that festivals seem to be announcing a lot earlier with acts who were already meant to be playing this year so they’re possibly holding out for a later announcement, but it’s a good point about them not cropping up yet.

And I know I’m gonna feel dumb when I find out, but seedy Angelenos isn’t ringing a bell?

4 minutes ago, jparx said:

Chillis do look a very likely replacement at this point. The only real counter argument is they’re shit now (or always were, depending on your take).

If their 2020 and 2021 plans are left in tatters with acts not rebooking/delaying tours, CalGon may as well start ironing his socks.

Silver lining is John Frusciante though the lining is so thin it may not be there with regards to a Glastonbury booking. 

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

My only take on AM not being announced yet is that festivals seem to be announcing a lot earlier with acts who were already meant to be playing this year so they’re possibly holding out for a later announcement, but it’s a good point about them not cropping up yet.

And I know I’m gonna feel dumb when I find out, but seedy Angelenos isn’t ringing a bell?

I thought he meant RHCP since they’re from LA but it was a bit lost on me too.

Yeah I’m not buying Chili’s still. Admittedly I wouldn’t hate it nearly as much as some others here would, to the point that I’d probably go and see them if there was nothing much else of interest on, but it just doesn’t seem right to me. In these times of possible desperation regarding headliners though maybe it’s an option that needs to be looked at. 

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Heheh @jparx got it. The Fairfax frat dudes. The SoCal syphilis squad. The Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

I just have a nagging feeling. They're big, they're in the area, never played. Although very few headline names have been confirmed touring next summer yet so just early days possibly.

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I’m not buying Chili’s still. Admittedly I wouldn’t hate it nearly as much as some others here would, to the point that I’d probably go and see them if there was nothing much else of interest on, but it just doesn’t seem right to me. In these times of possible desperation regarding headliners though maybe it’s an option that needs to be looked at. 

If Chillis headlined Sunday (I figure this is the only day they can do) and the other stages are as they were this year then my group and I would probably go and watch Red Hot Chilli Peppers and take the secret to our graves.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If Chillis headlined Sunday (I figure this is the only day they can do) and the other stages are as they were this year then my group and I would probably go and watch Red Hot Chilli Peppers and take the secret to our graves.

Who else was meant to be headlining a stage on Sunday this year?

22 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I’m happy to go with it if it ends up going as well as the Kaiser Chiefs/Post Malone/insert others here predictions, but yeah they’re probably the biggest act around next year that we know of so far and can’t rule out.

22 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

they are recording apparently.

if it’s going to be anyone, it’s going to be AMs. Them Sheffield shows next year don’t need to be announced until Sep/ Oct.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

A lone sock on a pole marking the site of your burial.

18 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Silver lining is John Frusciante though the lining is so thin it may not be there with regards to a Glastonbury booking. 

This needs the thinnest of thin analogies. Please. 

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Dental. Stoppit. I need a decent nights sleep and this is very much not helping. 

15 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Imo - no chance red hot shitty peppers. They are done out here man.

1 hour ago, jparx said:

I think we’ll have two pop headliners *in the same year* this decade. Whether it’s two women, two blokes or a mix, it’ll happen.

Not only is it the way the wind is blowing with the festival, it’s also the genre pumping out the best music. Yes Glastonbury has been traditionally a guitar band festival, But that’s largely during periods when you’ve had top quality acts to fill the slots. Top tier guitar acts are thinning out while you’re bursting at the seams with quality pop acts. I don’t think they will keep booking stale acts just to keep the guitar fans happy. Yes The Killers, but personally I think they will be an outlier, they clearly were not first choice and the 2019 lineup was stuffed with quality pop music even if they didn’t have the headliners.

The 2020 headliners struck me as a declaration of intention for the new decade and I would expect Emily continues that trend. And remember how many stages there are, so there will almost always be something that tickles the guitar itch.

I'd strongly dispute this. I still think guitar music is pumping out objectively better music than pop but it's all being done by girls/girl fronted bands so it's not hitting the mainstream the way it would if it was a standard lads band.

16 minutes ago, PolygonWindow said:

AMs

Glasto 21

Sheff 21

World Tour 21

Europe Festivals 22 (if necessary)

??

didn’t they do Glasto straight after AM was released last time (might be wrong)

It was a couple of months before AM came out. I was at the Roundhouse in Camden watching them at the iTunes Festival the day it was released, that was September.

RHCP get a lot of unfair hate in my opinion. I saw them at Knebworth a few years ago and thought they were alright.

I wouldn't go home raving about them being incredible, but I wouldn't exactly say they're a weak booking.