2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

We’ve probably been down this road before - and this may need a poll - but who’s everyone’s preference if there was a possibility of Swiz or Gaga?

Genuinely not sure which way eFests would swing. 

Edited by Woffy

1 minute ago, Woffy said:

We’ve probably been down this road before - and this may need a poll - but who’s everyone’s preference if there was a possibility of Swiz or Gaga?

Gaga for sure. More bangers and will be a spectacle.

Both would be great but Gaga would be much more fun

Just now, Gilgamesh69 said:

Gaga for sure. More bangers and will be a spectacle.

Both would be great but Gaga would be much more fun

Agree. Both would be ace. Not ‘pitting’ one against the other, more intrigued as to how eFests would go. Think it’d be pretty much 50/50.

Let’s have both. 

5 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Gaga! 

8 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Gaga!

It's not like I listen to her loads or anything, I just think it would an epic show! 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Kanye was the only one who fired up the whole machine just to play Glastonbury. He came over, did that gig then went back to the States playing no other shows.

This is while he was declaring himself the world’s greatest rockstar so to him it made sense for him to prove it at the world’s biggest festival.

Let's hope, if Taylor does it, she doesn't also follow his lead by becoming an a right-wing, MAGA supporting nutbag. 

I might not like her music but I do like her politics. 

Just to add to the Taylor Swift stuff, someone posted in the NOS Alive thread that their promoter said she isn’t touring Europe next year. They’re also apparently still missing one headliner. So far they’ve announced our good pals Red Hot Chili Peppers (presumably to replace Swift), the other headliners from this year were The Strokes, Billie Eilish and Kendrick Lamar. We know The Strokes are active next summer and I think most people are expecting Billie Eilish to be back too, so it would make sense if Kendrick’s still undecided on touring which I think fits with what yer man Ken has been saying.

I’d want both Gaga and Taylor and I’d rather not pit them against each other, but I appreciate you’re prompting a discussion!

I’d just say Taylor has a chance to be top of the Glastonbury pile when she does headline. She’s a force rarely seen on the Pyramid. She has a mix of tunes, live chops and production that I think very few can match.

When Beyonce played back in 2011, I had no interest in going to see her or indeed any of the Pyramid headliners that year. However seeing her show back the other week I think I probably missed out. I'd have the same feeling if either Gaga or Swift played next year. No massive desire to watch either of them but would it be a show I regret missing? At the time of the set, probably not as I'd be in an altered state somewhere in the SE corner but would I be kicking myself a few years down the line when watching it back on TV.

You're never going to get Gaga and Taylor. As me and FloorFiller discussed a few days back in this thread, this year was set up to be a bit of an outlier in terms of Pyramid headliners in that they only had one man/men with a guitar/s. Normal service is two guitary acts and one other. 

It's Swift for me. Biggest pop act in the world, it's bang at the right time and she's mates with Billy Bragg which see's her good in my eyes.

I know it's not a popular view around here but I think Gaga's moment has been and gone. She may well headline at some point but it's far from the 'get' that Taylor Swift is. 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Kanye was the only one who fired up the whole machine just to play Glastonbury. He came over, did that gig then went back to the States playing no other shows.

This is while he was declaring himself the world’s greatest rockstar so to him it made sense for him to prove it at the world’s biggest festival.

He did follow it up a few weeks later by filling in for Frank Ocean cancelling a festival appearance. Same production, just no cherry picker though. Was a good time.  Then he slowly lost the plot.

Edited by Suprefan

I think we’ll have two pop headliners *in the same year* this decade. Whether it’s two women, two blokes or a mix, it’ll happen.

Not only is it the way the wind is blowing with the festival, it’s also the genre pumping out the best music. Yes Glastonbury has been traditionally a guitar band festival, But that’s largely during periods when you’ve had top quality acts to fill the slots. Top tier guitar acts are thinning out while you’re bursting at the seams with quality pop acts. I don’t think they will keep booking stale acts just to keep the guitar fans happy. Yes The Killers, but personally I think they will be an outlier, they clearly were not first choice and the 2019 lineup was stuffed with quality pop music even if they didn’t have the headliners.

The 2020 headliners struck me as a declaration of intention for the new decade and I would expect Emily continues that trend. And remember how many stages there are, so there will almost always be something that tickles the guitar itch.

Edited by jparx

Just now, jparx said:

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic, but to clarify I meant in the same year! 

To be fair I wrote out a whole reply there thinking you meant in the decade haha. It’s an interesting thought. Guess it depends what you mean by ‘pop’. The list of rock acts making their way up to festival headliners is getting slimmer as it’s just not the current trend, but I still struggle to imagine two all out pop acts topping the bill, lest it becomes a V Festival-like thing. Guess only time will tell.