2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It definitely tips the balance from likely to less likely. Depends on how much she thinks that Glastonbury is a history-making, join the pantheon sort of deal.

There are signs she knows it's not just another gig.  Nothing to bet your house on, but it's not entirely a lost cause.

I think it’s far more likely she’s just struck a deal to delay her festival/European jaunt to the following year/the next time she’s touring than cancel altogether. Suppose it depends how long she plans on touring Lover or if she wants to get a new album out, but if she’s not there next year then I’ll just expect her in the next couple of years after.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

I think it’s far more likely she’s just struck a deal to delay her festival/European jaunt to the following year/the next time she’s touring than cancel altogether. Suppose it depends how long she plans on touring Lover or if she wants to get a new album out, but if she’s not there next year then I’ll just expect her in the next couple of years after.

That’s my thinking, lover will be 2 years old next Glastonbury! Might as well wait and promote a new album

42 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

For the last however many festivals, Glastonbury has had performances that are one-off, non-touring, joining the pantheon of headliners, exclusive, bid for glory performances:

Jay-Z, Beyonce, U2, Metallica, the Stones, Kanye, Adele, Ed Sheeran and Stormzy for instance.

So they are right that it's possible. Taylor is doing shows next spring 

The Stones played BST the week after GF.

Adele had done an extensive arena tour a few months beforehand.

Stormzy played several European festivals including TRNSMT.

Sheeran went straight from GF into an extensive US tour.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They all still did bespoke shows.

I saw the Stones in Hyde Park the week after Glastonbury and there was no sign of Hyde Park Girl on the setlist.

But Taylor DID have a whole European festival jaunt lined up surrounding her Glastonbury performance this year so I don’t see why she’d now pick Glastonbury out as an outlier to play by itself when she could easily just delay the entire thing a year or two. Doesn’t make sense to just do Glastonbury imo, as much as I know it hurts you (and us all) to hear it.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

But Taylor DID have a whole European festival jaunt lined up surrounding her Glastonbury performance this year so I don’t see why she’d now pick Glastonbury out as an outlier to play by itself when she could easily just delay the entire thing a year or two. Doesn’t make sense to just do Glastonbury imo, as much as I know it hurts you (and us all) to hear it.

Fair. Noone's saying it's Smooth Jimmy's Lock of the Week. The balance of probabilities says no. The best punt is that Swift is a canny operator (which she is) and so will make the smart play.

Often we find ourselves lapsing into our POV being clouded by our love for Glastonbury and how important it is (to us) and why X Artist *must* be cognisant of the importance of the festival and therefore will have made it a priority to play, despite other commitments.

And often on here, among the multitude of varying opinions, that blind love, loyalty if you will, is tempered by the check and balance of actual reality. 

That said, fuck reality. I’m nailing my colours to the mast of blind faith in the utter importance of Glastonbury over all other festivals and gigs.

Therefore Swizzle will play.

Because she knows it’s more important that every other gig. 

• Upvote 2

I will admit that with Swifty now seemingly looking unlikely and my overbearing feeling that Kendrick is also out, the top tier of 2021 is seeming like less of an exciting prospect unless they pull a miracle and have secured Gaga as a replacement. Thankfully/hopefully most of the rest of the lineup will still be in tact to make up for the losses...

4 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Often we find ourselves lapsing into our POV being clouded by our love for Glastonbury and how important it is (to us) and why X Artist *must* be cognisant of the importance of the festival and therefore will have made it a priority to play, despite other commitments.

And often on here, among the multitude of varying opinions, that blind love, loyalty if you will, is tempered by the check and balance of actual reality. 

That said, fuck reality. I’m nailing my colours to the mast of blind faith in the utter importance of Glastonbury over all other festivals and gigs.

Therefore Swizzle will play.

Because she knows it’s more important that every other gig. 

Love your optimism, just can’t see it. Like I  can’t see Billy either! Gaga I can see 😍

18 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They all still did bespoke shows.

I saw the Stones in Hyde Park the week after Glastonbury and there was no sign of Hyde Park Girl on the setlist.

You can’t play to 80k punters the week afterwards in the same country and still claim Glastonbury was a one off or bespoke. Playing an extra song or two doesn’t really count.

Metallica were playing Euro festivals all over the shop too.

Beyoncé did Euro festivals as well as T in Park and Oxygen in Ireland.

The only real “one-off” I can see was Kanye.

Kanye was the only one who fired up the whole machine just to play Glastonbury. He came over, did that gig then went back to the States playing no other shows.

This is while he was declaring himself the world’s greatest rockstar so to him it made sense for him to prove it at the world’s biggest festival.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

You can’t play to 80k punters the week afterwards in the same country and still claim Glastonbury was a one off or bespoke. Playing an extra song or two doesn’t really count.

Aye Kanye is the only one where he seemingly brought out an entire stage production especially for Glastonbury in the middle of a down period of touring, more than likely because he’d signed up whilst thinking his new album would be out but then it was delayed. Everybody else was in the middle of an extensive tour that crossed to our side of the world. If Taylor isn’t coming here for the rest of her planned tour then it seems very unlikely Glastonbury would get preferential treatment.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

I will admit that with Swifty now seemingly looking unlikely and my overbearing feeling that Kendrick is also out, the top tier of 2021 is seeming like less of an exciting prospect unless they pull a miracle and have secured Gaga as a replacement. Thankfully/hopefully most of the rest of the lineup will still be in tact to make up for the losses...

Agree with that 100%.  Have been reading all the various suggestions on here recently, and they are all a significant step down from this years top tier except for Gaga.  It feels like this is the moment to get Gaga on that stage - the timing just seems right somehow.  She would smash it 🤞

1 minute ago, circus92 said:

Agree with that 100%.  Have been reading all the various suggestions on here recently, and they are all a significant step down from this years top tier except for Gaga.  It feels like this is the moment to get Gaga on that stage - the timing just seems right somehow.  She would smash it 🤞

I REALLY hope they were on the phone to her for 2021 before all of this shit kicked off and had her pre-secured. She’s touring a month later so here’s hoping she’s down to kick off her entire tour with an all timer Glastonbury headline slot.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

True, true.  I've heard it said that Stormzy's performance at TRNSMT was a even bigger production and more culturally impactful performance than his Glastonbury show. But the months of rehearsal really paid off.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

True, true.  I've heard it said that Stormzy's performance at TRNSMT was a even bigger production and more culturally impactful performance than his Glastonbury show. But the months of rehearsal really paid off.

The various festivals he played before G probably helped too.

Nobody is denying they weren’t special or meant more than a regular gig, but none of those artists (Kanye excepted) played Glastonbury as a one-off. They all incorporated the festival into their touring plans.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The various festivals he played before G probably helped too.

Nobody is denying they weren’t special or meant more than a regular gig, but none of those artists (Kanye excepted) played Glastonbury as a one-off. They all incorporated the festival into their touring plans.

Just as well that Taylor Swift is touring then.