2021 Headliners

Just now, kemosabe said:

I do understand it’s against what Emily said about returning headliners etc. 

Unless she said it in the past 3 weeks, I think anything Emily has said along those lines can be totally disregarded at this point. Everything has changed.

6 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Well, if some people don't think Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, an act that easily filled up Victoria Park, could do it, then I've got bad news for an act that wasn't even able to sell out that same festival. 

Yeah my comment wasn’t talking commercially. Just musically/ aesthetically. I think you’re right and there’s a billion reasons it won’t, but I’d still love to see it.

4 minutes ago, Ben7amin said:

Who put the RHCP in the list of likely headliners.... No chance

If you attended the talk with Michael Eavis last year - he said they are not alowed on site even if they get tickets - the man bares a grudge 

What is the beef between RHCP and Eavis?

McCartney Gaga AM is something I can see. That is very strong (even tho it’s not entirely to my taste)!

Obviously all opinion but for me it’s about balance. 

As much as I adore the 1975, that trio weakens a lot when you put them in over AMs, and as much as I adore Billie Eilish, at the present moment in time, Gaga is levels above imo. 

1975, McCartney, Gaga? Maybe. As a trio i find it to be weaker tho.

Gaga deserves it man, can’t believe she hasn’t done it already ?!

Just now, Sdsm123 said:

So what does everyone think about when we will likely get an announcement before the cut off for applying for a refund? Or is it going to be March 2021?

Doubt we'll hear anything before the October sale. If they were going to do that, then one of those shows on the BBC over festival weekend would have been the best time. The tickets were initially sold with no names known so nobody can claim they were misled.

4 minutes ago, PolygonWindow said:

Gaga deserves it man, can’t believe she hasn’t done it already ?!

She really does, it can only be a matter of time.

3 minutes ago, Sdsm123 said:

So what does everyone think about when we will likely get an announcement before the cut off for applying for a refund? Or is it going to be March 2021?

I would be very surprised if we got an announcement before the end of this year purely due to the uncertainty of the situation.  I would think they would want to be as sure as possible that it can go ahead, something I guess we won't know until well into the new year?

5 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I thought Florence and the Machine's stock had fallen? I didnt realise they / she was still that big tbh.

In fairness to them it’s been a few years since the last record. 

Stock probably has fallen to a degree but still a headliner imo.

4 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I thought Florence and the Machine's stock had fallen? I didnt realise they / she was still that big tbh.

Sure, it has from the peak.

But she's still big enough and is very much in the "friend of the festival" category that gives a bit of leeway. Same reason Muse will probably headline again some day despite nobody caring about them anymore. The next album will still get played everywhere if it's halfway decent.

6 minutes ago, Sdsm123 said:

When they were booked to headline last time - they just didn't turn up- and to this day they still haven't apologized or mentioned it to anyone from the festival. Given that this was 20 years ago - if pretty much rule them out ever playing Glastonbury 

2 hours ago, jparx said:

Fleetwood are a no with Crowded House touring next year.

Elton was in the USA over Glastonbury weekend this year so we imagine he's probably rescheduling.

It's not particularly exciting, but the list of headliners we're looking at are almost certainly the ones announced for other European festivals. We ain't looking at Rolling Stones / Fleetwood Mac / Madonna.

While I suspect that the most likely headliners are the ones already announced for elsewhere, is there still not potential for a currently non touring act to get booked? 

Still got plenty of time for them to put a show together and if big acts were going to do a one off Glasto would surely be the place. While the Eavii don’t have the pressure of looking to sell tickets they always want the festival to be the best show of the summer. 

10 minutes ago, Snoop Cat said:

While I suspect that the most likely headliners are the ones already announced for elsewhere, is there still not potential for a currently non touring act to get booked? 

Still got plenty of time for them to put a show together and if big acts were going to do a one off Glasto would surely be the place. While the Eavii don’t have the pressure of looking to sell tickets they always want the festival to be the best show of the summer. 

Big acts seldom do one offs at Glastonbury - costs involved just aren’t worth it. This is why they usually marry them up with a BST show or a few European festivals.

19 minutes ago, Snoop Cat said:

Anything is possible but I find it unlikely. Especially for next year. Can’t really see some mega act planning some select shows or a reunion tour next year with all the uncertainty.  Best you could hope for is someone like Coldplay doing a limited run of shows and headlining.

16 minutes ago, jparx said:

Anything is possible but I find it unlikely. Especially for next year. Can’t really see some mega act planning some select shows or a reunion tour next year with all the uncertainty.  Best you could hope for is someone like Coldplay doing a limited run of shows and headlining.

Fair point, I think I am perhaps being a bit too optimistic. I always think that there must be additional financial benefits from the coverage and kudos a band gets by headlining Glasto but I guess atm like everyone else they are not going to invest tons of cash into something that may not go ahead. 
for me at present none of the touted bands (perhaps AM aside) really get my juices flowing, I would love to a watch a headliner I am really into as I have yet to do so, but I have to remember I will have an amazing time whoever is playing.