2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

1 minute ago, aj6658 said:

I agree with the above comments. Billie is the "it" artist at the moment and fair play, shes made a connection But Dont see why theres this rush to thrust her onto top billing.  

Whatever happens there needs to be at least one female artist topping the billing. Thoughts on a Florence and Haim Headline and undercard? 

For me - all day long. Yes yes yes. Not sure it's on the cards for next year.

Annoyingly, Ken has info that HAIM may not be around next year. According to him, the Ireland show was rebooked before they fully committed to tour next year, and now there are doubts whether or not they want to travel in 2021. Certainly hope it's wrong or else i've lost 4 of my top 5 acts from 2020...

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Annoyingly, Ken has info that HAIM may not be around next year. According to him, the Ireland show was rebooked before they fully committed to tour next year, and now there are doubts whether or not they want to travel in 2021. Certainly hope it's wrong or else i've lost 4 of my top 5 acts from 2020.

That would be vexing.  One of those bands I'd never really paid much attention before they started releasing the track from this album, and never caught them live.  Hoked on Women In Music, would love to see them next year

4 minutes ago, jparx said:

Billie Eilish:

• Has tapped in to something and is speaking to young people more than any other act for years
  • Already has more bigger singles than many past headliners
  • Album was critically and commercially a huge hit
  • Swept up at the Grammys
  • Has already played Glastonbury to a huge crowd
  • Is already booked as a festival headliner across Europe and sold out a run of shows here in the UK in half an hour
  • Has an album and a 9 track EP, plus two singles released already since When We All Fall Asleep. More than enough material to headline with
  • "Music is too downbeat for a headliner" - I think we've been there before when talking about headliners? I was guilty of that with Adele and had all the egg on my face. I've learned my lesson there. Plus, Billie's quieter stuff still tends to go off live
  • I don't tend to put too much stock in Spotify, but fwiw she's the 18th most listened to act in the world 
  • Will likely have at least some new material by 2021 festival, if not a full album

I think she'd fucking smash it headlining the Pyramid. She isn't a flash in the pan artist, or someone who just has a lot of hype around her now - she's already amassing a Taylor Swift style rabid fanbase that will be there to stay. I think she's a no brainer.

Annoyingly this won't embed, but Billie Eilish circle pits on the Pyramid? Sign me up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg_vBQWGyhM

Whilst a don’t disagree with any of your points I do to an extent with the one you’ve bolded.

Young people inevitably get old, the young people she’s tapped into will be replaced with other young people that someone else will tap into later on down the the line.

We were all young once and we all had an artist that tapped into us. 

1 minute ago, Quark said:

That would be vexing.  One of those bands I'd never really paid much attention before they started releasing the track from this album, and never caught them live.  Hoked on Women In Music, would love to see them next year

Absolutely. The info was more “they may be around but it’s not definite” so I’m keeping everything crossed. It explains why they were absent from the Mad Cool announcement though.

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Whilst a don’t disagree with any of your points I do to an extent with the one you’ve bolded.

Young people inevitably get old, the young people she’s tapped into will be replaced with other young people that someone else will tap into later on down the the line.

We were all young once and we all had an artist that tapped into us. 

Didn’t happen with Taylor Swift. She developed a huge and devoted fan base early on and that’s persisted and continued to grow throughout her career.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

Didn’t happen with Taylor Swift. She developed a huge and devoted fan base early on and that’s persisted and continued to grow throughout her career.

has it,  i would say her fanbase seems to be mostly people who were young-ish in the early 2000s and have aged with her and are now in their 20s

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jparx said:

Billie Eilish:

• Has tapped in to something and is speaking to young people more than any other act for years
  • Already has more bigger singles than many past headliners
  • Album was critically and commercially a huge hit
  • Swept up at the Grammys
  • Has already played Glastonbury to a huge crowd
  • Is already booked as a festival headliner across Europe and sold out a run of shows here in the UK in half an hour
  • Has an album and a 9 track EP, plus two singles released already since When We All Fall Asleep. More than enough material to headline with
  • "Music is too downbeat for a headliner" - I think we've been there before when talking about headliners? I was guilty of that with Adele and had all the egg on my face. I've learned my lesson there. Plus, Billie's quieter stuff still tends to go off live
  • I don't tend to put too much stock in Spotify, but fwiw she's the 18th most listened to act in the world 
  • Will likely have at least some new material by 2021 festival, if not a full album

I think she'd fucking smash it headlining the Pyramid. She isn't a flash in the pan artist, or someone who just has a lot of hype around her now - she's already amassing a Taylor Swift style rabid fanbase that will be there to stay. I think she's a no brainer.

Annoyingly this won't embed, but Billie Eilish circle pits on the Pyramid? Sign me up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg_vBQWGyhM

Understand all your points and don't disagree if I'm honest.

To say someone's music is 'too downbeat to headline' is ridiculous, what a weird statement whoever made that.

All I would say is that although the points you are making are relatively valid, she isn't at Glastonbury headliner status for 2021. Sweeping up at the Grammys, playing previously to a huge crowd, and having bigger singles does not put her in the same category as Arctic Monkeys, The Killers, Coldplay etc.

If you took out all the points you have made and compared her 'as a brand' to previous Glastonbury headliners of the past 4 years (barring Stormzy, which was British grime headlining the festival) then she falls short as a Glastonbury headliner for 2021.

My take on it is that there are much bigger acts at present who can (and will be willing) to headline. If Taylor drops out, they will pull one of these in.

Sure, she is shit hot at the minute (label plants always are) but not 2021. 2023 I think.

She obviously is big enough to to sub in 2021 on Pyramid, which I see as much more likely (but then what do I know).

14 minutes ago, PolygonWindow said:

Understand all your points and don't disagree if I'm honest.

To say someone's music is 'too downbeat to headline' is ridiculous, what a weird statement whoever made that.

All I would say is that although the points you are making are relatively valid, she isn't at Glastonbury headliner status for 2021. Sweeping up at the Grammys, playing previously to a huge crowd, and having bigger singles does not put her in the same category as Arctic Monkeys, The Killers, Coldplay etc.

If you took out all the points you have made and compared her 'as a brand' to previous Glastonbury headliners of the past 4 years (barring Stormzy, which was British grime headlining the festival) then she falls short as a Glastonbury headliner for 2021.

My take on it is that there are much bigger acts at present who can (and will be willing) to headline. If Taylor drops out, they will pull one of these in.

Sure, she is shit hot at the minute (label plants always are) but not 2021. 2023 I think.

She obviously is big enough to to sub in 2021 on Pyramid, which I see as much more likely (but then what do I know).

I'm just not sure I get your point. She satisfies the majority of criteria you would have for a headliner. The "brand" thing just seems very nebulous to me. All of the points I made, coupled with the notion Billie feels like a booking Emily would want to make, ESPECIALLY if they're faced with all male guitar bands headlining in 2021. The list of headliners for 2021 seems to be:

Kendrick (likely not around)

Macca

Taylor (likely not around)

The 1975

Gaga (dates currently don't match up, but hopefully that changes)

Arctic Monkeys

RHCP

Mumford and Sons (?!)

Gorillaz (?!)

I think it's more likely Billie headlines than we get three of Macca, 1975, Arctics, RHCP, Mumfords, Gorillaz etc. Unfortunately the festival are very unlikely to book two female pop acts, so Gaga being available would be the main reason I'd rule out Billie. I'd have both, but I accept that's not going to happen.

And just on the argument of "why rush?" other posters have made. If they book her to headline next year it gives them the chance of building a solid relationship with the artist. Emily clearly hitched her wagon to Stormzy last year, likely with the view that he'd ace it in 2019 but then you're also increasing the chance he will return when he's even bigger and better. As I've made clear, I believe Billie could do it in 2021 regardless, but you're also attaching the Glastonbury "brand" with Billie's, then if she's an absolute mega star in 2023 and demanding huge fees, playing stadiums etc, Glastonbury would already have a great relationship with her and you could have another Coldplay on your hands. They've clearly done that with British acts, so I don't see why they wouldn't make the same play here, regardless of Billie's nationality. There are dozens of US acts who could headline Glastonbury but never will due to the money - but if they got in there nice and early they could have a chance of luring some of these acts. 

Edited by jparx

Just now, jparx said:

Kendrick (likely not around)

Macca

Taylor (likely not around)

The 1975

Gaga (dates currently don't match up, but hopefully that changes)

Arctic Monkeys

RHCP

Mumford and Sons (?!)

Gorillaz (?!)

AM is still nothing more than a rumour that maybe they'll be doing something next year as far as I am aware - there is still nothing other than "oh, its been a while since there last album and last time they played glasto" to realistically suggest that they will be back for G.

They strike me as a band anyway who would have quite happily pushed plans back a year when they couldnt get into the studio to record over lockdown.

Arguably you could chuck The Strokes in there and technically Foals are about too, but I'd say Billie is comfortably bigger than both of those acts

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

AM is still nothing more than a rumour that maybe they'll be doing something next year as far as I am aware - there is still nothing other than "oh, its been a while since there last album and last time they played glasto" to realistically suggest that they will be back for G.

They strike me as a band anyway who would have quite happily pushed plans back a year when they couldnt get into the studio to record over lockdown.

Arguably you could chuck The Strokes in there and technically Foals are about too, but I'd say Billie is comfortably bigger than both of those acts

Good points. I still want to keep Arctics on my radar just so they don't sneak up on me though! I wouldn't begrudge them headlining if we get a good mix of headliners, just hope they go for some more interesting options alongside.

I think even the most ardent "Billie won't headline next year" people would have to concede she's more likely than The Strokes or Foals?

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Booking Billie would be a ballsy move, but based on just about every interview I've ever read with Emily it feels like the sort of play she'd make rather than the reactionary choice of booking the likes of Green Day or Billy Banjo.

Think that about sums it up.

12 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Looking at what happened 10 or 15 years ago when Michael was running the show doesn't necessarily give much of a steer as to what may happen next year.

A reasonable point, it was only 11 eleven years ago that Neil Young and Springsteen were headlining. Feels highly unlikely we’d see two of those bookings in the same year again.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

A reasonable point, it was only 11 eleven years ago that Neil Young and Springsteen were headlining. Feels highly unlikely we’d see two of those bookings in the same year again.

I know it will be seen as progress in a lot of ways but I do think it'd be a shame if two acts of that calibre were available and Glastonbury didn't book them. 

That was my first Glastonbury so to have those two topping the bill was absolutely incredible. One of very few years I've seen more than one Pyramid headliner. 

I’ve been reading this thread for the last few days in a kind of bemusement. I thought the Billie E stuff was a bit of a joke, I didn’t think she was even close to headlining! But people seem to really believe she can!

Is Billie E really more famous then Gaga was in 2009, or Katie Perry and Lorde in 2017? I’m no pop expert but as an outsider, to me, she seems closer to either of those the (in terms of fame/ number of hits) then to Taylor Swift (now) or Beyoncé (even in 2008). 

As someone not invested in pop, I saw Lorde and Perry and I would of seen Gaga, Taylor and Beyoncé but I went nowhere near Billie in 2019, and would be incredibly surprised to see her headline! I think even Miley Cyrus is more famous to me (I didn’t see her either).

To me at least she seems perfect for a midday pyramid slot and absolutely no higher. Maybe I’m just too old now to keep up with trends!

Edited by kemosabe

24 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

I know it will be seen as progress in a lot of ways but I do think it'd be a shame if two acts of that calibre were available and Glastonbury didn't book them. 

That was my first Glastonbury so to have those two topping the bill was absolutely incredible. One of very few years I've seen more than one Pyramid headliner. 

Not so much the calibre, more that they’d be unlikely to book two older white male heritage guitar acts to headline the same year.

2 hours ago, st dan said:

Anybody think The xx could be in with a shout? 

With a new album hopefully coming before next year, and having already headlined the Other, I think they’re due a big slot - although headlining is probably too unlikely. 

Definitely not, more likely to see them headlining the Other imo. Loved their 2017 sub set and their headline set at All Points East was amazing but don't think it'd work on the Pyramid cos they don't really have any properly well known to the general public singalong tunes

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Booking Billie would be a ballsy move, but based on just about every interview I've ever read with Emily it feels like the sort of play she'd make rather than the reactionary choice of booking the likes of Green Day or Billy Banjo.

This exactly. Don't even think it's that ballsy. Do I think it will happen? I was going to say not next year, but wouldn't be surprised. There is no pattern remember. Despite Kendrick clearly being talented, productive and acclaimed, I think he's more of an 'out there' headliner than Billie in the UK festival market...