2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

People making the Stormzy comparison, and any act Glastonbury has given the leg up to so quickly, seem to forget that they’re UK based and so it does the local artist a huge favour in giving them the leg up and solidifies Glastonbury as THE festival to promote homegrown acts. Billie is nothing to the festival and I doubt it means anything to her either. If she’s topping the bill next year it’s as a consolation prize, not because they wanted to get in whilst she’s hot shit. It just isn’t Glastonbury’s usual m.o. to bother jumping on hype acts like her after one album, regardless of her seeming longevity. 

I agree. It’s just not happening. Gaga would be a decent replacement.

also can we get Carly Rae Jepsen please 🙏

Edited by Luigi

No hate but Billie hasn't never done it for me. From my listening of her album its a bit samey and didnt grab me.  I found that hook in "bad Guy" a bit gimmicky. Not saying shes a bad artist, clearly talented for her age.

Im surprised how many people were raving about her, didnt really know she was as popular as people were saying but looking at Spotify monthly listens, she has 40 million which is 2 and bit more than the killers and 4 times more than the 1975.

I dont think her music really suits a headline slot. I think it needs someone with more energy and a bigger back catalog ( Know stomrzy only had one album). Saw her 19 set and it better than i thought but i think one album, not British and music style are why i dont think she would suit Headline at this stage.

Guaranteed to headline in the future.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

No hate but Billie hasn't never done it for me. From my listening of her album its a bit samey and didnt grab me.  I found that hook in "bad Guy" a bit gimmicky. Not saying shes a bad artist, clearly talented for her age.

Im surprised how many people were raving about her, didnt really know she was as popular as people were saying but looking at Spotify monthly listens, she has 40 million which is 2 and bit more than the killers and 4 times more than the 1975.

I dont think her music really suits a headline slot. I think it needs someone with more energy and a bigger back catalog ( Know stomrzy only had one album). Saw her 19 set and it better than i thought but i think one album, not British and music style are why i dont think she would suit Headline at this stage.

Totally agree with you mate, it does nothing for me. She is obviously talented but no where near what I would expect of a Glastonbury headliner she needs more jumpy songs and some bright songs too, she’s a bit depressing

51 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

I agree with all of this except I do love that album. She’s certainly big enough to headline. I think she’s BBC friendly. I agree that having 1 album is a detriment, and unlike Stormzy, the other 1 album headliner, she’s not British and not representing a moment in British music/culture. I think the disadvantages listed above are counter-weighed by the uniqueness of losing 2 headliners to the corona-cancel And I believe Emily really wanting at *least* one female fronted headliner if not 2 going forward and Eilish may be the best, if not only, of the festival headline worthy choices available for next summer. (To be clear she has never stated that directly, but she’s made very strong statements about gender balance and it’s hard for me to picture her booking an all male headliner trio with such a mindset as headliners are the sort of “face” of the festival.)

My personal hope is that if this is true that she bumps the 1975 to 2022 so that it’s not 1975/McCartney/Eilish. I like Glastonbury’s recent tradition of booking a “newer” act to headlining, a legendary act and a sorta mid-career act. 2 “newer” acts to headlining does feel a little disappointing, especially in light of 2020’s booked trio. 

I think Eilish/McCartney/Gaga would be actually really exciting. And if you keep the surprise sets of Aerosmith and Mumford that feels like a massive year. But there’s really no proof of any of this, but that above would be as good as 2020, IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Sdsm123 said:

Totally agree with you mate, it does nothing for me. She is obviously talented but no where near what I would expect of a Glastonbury headliner she needs more jumpy songs and some bright songs too, she’s a bit depressing

Gah, if only Billie had as many upbeat songs as Adele...

33 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Gah, if only Billie had as many upbeat songs as Adele...

But Adele is musically more talented, her songs are layered differently with orchestral Elements and she puts on a great show. She has 3 albums out and in my opinion is one of the biggest female artists around. Maybe in a few years Billie will build up her repertoire and have more variety in her music. I’m not saying she isn’t talented, she is, I’m just saying at the moment she hasn’t got the variety in her music to warrant a full hour and a half of a headlining slot.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Couple of good singles and the Bond tune is excellent but that's not enough to justify headlining at this stage of her career. 

What do you think about Stormzy and Coldplay headlining on one album? Arctic Monkey's second record had only been a month when they headlined if I remember correctly. Billie also has a 9 track EP and a handful of non album tracks so it is not like she doesn't have the a similar back catalogue. Interested to hear your thoughts.

7 minutes ago, jyoung said:

What do you think about Stormzy and Coldplay headlining on one album? Arctic Monkey's second record had only been a month when they headlined if I remember correctly. Billie also has a 9 track EP and a handful of non album tracks so it is not like she doesn't have the a similar back catalogue. Interested to hear your thoughts.

I wasn't a fan of Stormzy's booking at the time, but I acknowledge he knocked it out the park. 

There's definitely something to be said for taking a punt on an emerging act, but I don't necessarily think it should be something that happens every year. 

I'm not saying Billie shouldnt headline, I just think there's a lot of be said for following the paths of Adele, Sheeran and (probably) Ezra. 

6 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I wasn't a fan of Stormzy's booking at the time, but I acknowledge he knocked it out the park. 

There's definitely something to be said for taking a punt on an emerging act, but I don't necessarily think it should be something that happens every year. 

I'm not saying Billie shouldnt headline, I just think there's a lot of be said for following the paths of Adele, Sheeran and (probably) Ezra. 

Yeah this is where I’m at. 

I’d seen Stormzy when he played the festival before and loved it, but I still didn’t think should headline after one album.

Obviously he owned it. 

I watched Billie on iPlayer last week, also saw her last year on the Radio 1 Big Weekend footage. 

Live show didn’t impress me at all. 

I just don’t see her as a headliner yet. 

I think there are better options.  

Edited by nikkic

The way i think of it is, if you're gonna Headline with one album under your belt you need to be making a dent in the psyche of the public. There are very few bands that do that on their debut. Otherwise you dont have the back catalog to engage for a headline performance. 

I think Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys and Stormzy ( Because of his talent and because it was a cultural moment as it recognising a black artist and the grime genre) did make a dent. Billie i feel like isn't making a dent. Will people remember her first album and go this was a moment? 

People do for Coldplay and AM.

45 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Couple of good singles and the Bond tune is excellent but that's not enough to justify headlining at this stage of her career. 

And 5 Grammys, a hugely successful debut (2nd biggest in the UK after capaldi last year, third biggest this year after capaldi and stormzy), and having the biggest hit in the world last year....

To be clear, I don't think she's all that likely (she played on this album last year so I doubt she'll be back, she posted a lot about her R+L set compared to G so reckon she will be back there first etc.). However saying that she isn't a contender is a bit short sighted imo...

50 minutes ago, Sdsm123 said:

But Adele is musically more talented, her songs are layered differently with orchestral Elements and she puts on a great show. She has 3 albums out and in my opinion is one of the biggest female artists around. Maybe in a few years Billie will build up her repertoire and have more variety in her music. I’m not saying she isn’t talented, she is, I’m just saying at the moment she hasn’t got the variety in her music to warrant a full hour and a half of a headlining slot.

Interesting that you say that as I would argue Billie is almost definitely more talented than Adele. Adele is good at belting, sure, but her vocal technique is awful and she really lacks any style (there isn't really anything exciting or unique to her songs other than the tone of her voice). Her last album had numerous other songwriters assisting her and powerhouse producers like Max Martin too. Billie's was made by her and her brother in their bedroom...

38 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Adele has much more emotionally-charged songs that makes up for the slower pace and frankly more talented 

I would guess that all of Billies fans would say that her music connects with them emotionally. At times it gets a bit im14andthisisdeep but it obviously works for some people....

Just now, aj6658 said:

The way i think of it is, if you're gonna Headline with one album under your belt you need to be making a dent in the psyche of the public. There are very few bands that do that on their debut. Otherwise you dont have the back catalog to engage for a headline performance. 

I think Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys and Stormzy ( Because of his talent and because it was a cultural moment as it recognising a black artist and the grime genre) did make a dent. Billie i feel like isn't making a dent. Will people remember her first album and go this was a moment? 

People do for Coldplay and AM.

I mean, I can't remember a rise as quick as Billie's since Gaga tbh, if thats not noteworthy then I don't know what is...

Just because you as an older male (I assume) don't connect with the tunes doesn't mean that she isn't a "moment"...

4 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

You understand how well her parents are connected in the industry right. You think its luck a 13 year old gets a development deal from one soundcloud song? 

And? Plenty of successful musicians come from well off backgrounds but you're calling out an 18 year old girl who wrote almost every song on her record. The couple she didn't were written by her brother. The album was made in her brother's bedroom studio. The two of them made those songs and made that record. It is not like they paid someone to make it for them. If I was rich as fuck and my Dad was Mr Big Bollocks I still couldn't do that because I'm a shit singer and have no musical talent...

12 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

A record breaking female artist is getting absolutely shafted here.

I'm not posting on here begging people to like Billie Eilish and love the music; it won't be everyone's cup of tea and that's fine. But to make out that she isn't relevent enough or making a big enough impact in the industry is insane...

19 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I mean, I can't remember a rise as quick as Billie's since Gaga tbh, if thats not noteworthy then I don't know what is...

Just because you as an older male (I assume) don't connect with the tunes doesn't mean that she isn't a "moment"...

I'm 26 but sure, if you're old and a male your point moot....

Shes got one album that while isnt for me, does sound quite samey 

Saw her 19 set yeah it was fine, nothing to write home about but yeah, lets give her top billing

Shes not in the same league as Coldplay or AM debut as much as you like her

Edit: Also rapid rises are noteworthy but doesnt mean it makes a dent. You can catch fire but you need to burn brightly for years not a spark. Her rise is just as much down to brilliant branding. Yothe way she dresses, the attitude, the no fucks given. She plays to that culture. Look to what her songs - idontwannabeyouanymore, !!!! -teens like that.  

LIke i mention before, is her debut up there with AM, The Strokes, Interpol, The Killers, Dizzie Rascal. Will people go back to her Debut as they do for others?

Edited by aj6658
Update

10 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

And 5 Grammys, a hugely successful debut (2nd biggest in the UK after capaldi last year, third biggest this year after capaldi and stormzy), and having the biggest hit in the world last year....

To be clear, I don't think she's all that likely (she played on this album last year so I doubt she'll be back, she posted a lot about her R+L set compared to G so reckon she will be back there first etc.). However saying that she isn't a contender is a bit short sighted imo...

I didn't say that though, I said I don't think she should be. 

1 minute ago, jyoung said:

A record breaking female artist is getting absolutely shafted here.

I'm not posting on here begging people to like Billie Eilish and love the music; it won't be everyone's cup of tea and that's fine. But to make out that she isn't relevent enough or making a big enough impact in the industry is insane...

Obviously i made it clear that i think shes talented but her album does nothing for me but do you think her debut album is truly special? An Album that in 5/10/15 years you will go back to?

is it anyway near whatever people say i am, thats what im not, is this it, turn on the bright lights, Hot fuss, boy in da corner?

3 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Billie has such a huge fan base. I caught the start of her set at Reading last year (wasn’t it the biggest daytime main stage crowd that festival has ever seen?) and she’s easily festival headline ready.

If that's what we're basing it on, then step forward Gerry Cinnamon 

• Upvote 1