2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Agree largely with you. If they can book a headliner right now then almost certainly not. If they get to December and they’re still struggling then they may well consider picking up the phone to them.

Bit backhanded, but I'll take that :D

Just a general point but it might be best to check expectations when it comes to big headliners that were not already active in 2020. We are starting to see plenty of festivals announcing most/all of their headliners and the biggest “new” act is Gorillaz. Glastonbury are very unlikely to pull out a massive booking that isn’t already all over 2021 lineups. Festival slots are largely filled already with repeat bookings and the same will be true of stadiums. 

If our headliners fall through, you can probably look at Mad Cool, PS, RW etc and see the list of candidates. Gaga would be, by a mile, the biggest result in terms of someone who wasn’t doing festivals in 2020 and could come in as a replacement. I may be proven wrong, but I think you can forget all of the usual big names that get thrown around at this point in the year (Madonna, Fleetwood, Elton, Oasis etc).

1 minute ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Wasn't there a rumour that Depeche Mode would be active again? Seems like they tour and release a new album around every four years so it fits.

Depeche Mode/Macca/Gaga would be one for the ages

@eastynh is yer man for all things DM related.

I think when they've come up before the chances of them doing Glastonbury have been pitched as pretty dman low, but couldn't remember why.  I know their UK popularity is pretty low in comparison to Europe, one of those acts that finds more of a home overseas (bit like Kylie).

Easty - what was the feeling on them doing UK fests pal?

Agreed that would be a pretty stellar lineup though. I'd be all over DM and Gaga.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

People are slating the RHCP now, but it'll be a different story next June when you're stood in a field with a cider in hand and they come onstage sounding like Scatman John meets the theme music from Seinfeld.

I cannot over-stress just how happy it would make me, after all this, to find you in the middle of the RHCP crowd having a whale of a time. Possibly wearing a strategically placed sock.

Edited by Quark

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

Just a general point but it might be best to check expectations when it comes to big headliners that were not already active in 2020. We are starting to see plenty of festivals announcing most/all of their headliners and the biggest “new” act is Gorillaz. Glastonbury are very unlikely to pull out a massive booking that isn’t already all over 2021 lineups. Festival slots are largely filled already with repeat bookings and the same will be true of stadiums. 

If our headliners fall through, you can probably look at Mad Cool, PS, RW etc and see the list of candidates. Gaga would be, by a mile, the biggest result in terms of someone who wasn’t doing festivals in 2020 and could come in as a replacement. I may be proven wrong, but I think you can forget all of the usual big names that get thrown around at this point in the year (Madonna, Fleetwood, Elton, Oasis etc).

So who do we have then on the European festival circuit or could be booked because you are right, it'll be someone we have discussed or the circuit? 

Billie Eilish, Arctic Monkeys, The 1975, Lady Gaga, RHCP, Gorillaz, The Strokes, Mumfords (though they wont be booked, maybe sub again), Pearl Jam (Meant to be announcing European festivals, outside outside outside shot). The other European festival headliners like Twenty One Pilots arent gonna be headlining Glastonbury.

These are acts currently announced or meant to be on the circuit next year. Best case would be Billie, AM, Gaga to fill the two slots.

14 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

So who do we have then on the European festival circuit or could be booked because you are right, it'll be someone we have discussed or the circuit? 

Billie Eilish, Arctic Monkeys, The 1975, Lady Gaga, RHCP, Gorillaz, The Strokes, Mumfords (though they wont be booked, maybe sub again), Pearl Jam (Meant to be announcing European festivals, outside outside outside shot). The other European festival headliners like Twenty One Pilots arent gonna be headlining Glastonbury.

These are acts currently announced or meant to be on the circuit next year. Best case would be Billie, AM, Gaga to fill the two slots.

And AM are only rumours at the mo as they haven’t announced anything at all.  I’d honestly say the most likely at present are Mumford and Sons (who were playing this year anyway) + Lady Gaga and The 1975 who we at least know are touring around that time.

9 minutes ago, sisco said:

And AM are only rumours at the mo as they haven’t announced anything at all.  I’d honestly say the most likely at present are Mumford and Sons (who were playing this year anyway) + Lady Gaga and The 1975 who we at least know are touring around that time.

Like I’ve said before, if Mumfords were even remotely likely to headline next year I don’t think they would’ve given such a blase ‘they were supposed to do a secret set’ announcement like they did this year. It was probably a one off occurrence of the band wanting to play the 50th and the festival accommodating them and now it’s been and gone. 

Just now, aj6658 said:

I thought that the headliners were gonna roll over to next year? Has anyone announced  that their not

By all accounts they were gonna try to make this happen, but some acts change plans so it wasn’t always gonna work out that way. Mad Cool have announced that Taylor isn’t coming back to their festival so seems unlikely that she’ll be at Glastonbury, and we’ve also had a bit of info that Kendrick isn’t rescheduling his European tour, so he might also be out. Just gotta keep an eye on other festivals announcing their headliners to see if any of our three pop up.

Gave Billie's album another listen.  Have to say that I think I enjoyed it more than when I've listened previously, combination of headphones and listening without interruptions.  It's certainly got a lot going for it, and I will be really interested to see what she does next.

But

Still not a musical style that would work for me as a Pyramid headliner. Again, personal opinion and nowt to do with whether she can do it or is big enough or any of that. Just boils down to what I want in my ears at 10pm on a Saturday night with many hours of partying still ahead.

11 minutes ago, Quark said:

Gave Billie's album another listen.  Have to say that I think I enjoyed it more than when I've listened previously, combination of headphones and listening without interruptions.  It's certainly got a lot going for it, and I will be really interested to see what she does next.

But

Still not a musical style that would work for me as a Pyramid headliner. Again, personal opinion and nowt to do with whether she can do it or is big enough or any of that. Just boils down to what I want in my ears at 10pm on a Saturday night with many hours of partying still ahead.

I think this is it for me too. Would be absolutely delighted if she headlined, as it would be a fantastic achievement and piss off all the right people, but I don't think I'd be there personally. 

On that note (probably going to get crucified for this) I reckon I'd probably be at the Chillis if they headlined and there was no one clashing. They're embarrassing these days, but I can't pretend I wouldn't be jumping about reliving my teenage years with a bag full of socks and a bev in hand.  

Gaga is the dream though. The scenes when she brings Ariana out and they do Rain. 

Edited by Zacko

5 minutes ago, BFisherr said:

Just throwing it out there, but given Emily's talk of trying to combine the 2020/1 festivals and having a lot of acts along with an apparent lack of available big names, is it possible that we could see co-headline slots? 

Entirely possible but for me it only works as the Reading/Leeds model as each act then truly closes out the stage - if not could they have a headliner and then have a dance act do a closing set afterwards, such as George Ezra/Fatboy Slim at IOW or Stereophonics/Underworld at Latitude from last year, so you only have one headliner but then another fairly big sized dance act keeps it going into the night 

18 minutes ago, BFisherr said:

Just throwing it out there, but given Emily's talk of trying to combine the 2020/1 festivals and having a lot of acts along with an apparent lack of available big names, is it possible that we could see co-headline slots? 

There won’t be a lack of big names but if there was they’d just give the headline slot to someone with confidence that they will do it justice, rather than apologetically saying there is more than one headliner that day.

I think this co-headliner thing is nonsense... At IOW it was Liam and Depeche Mode as co-headliners according to the poster. At the actual festival there was no ambiguity at all. Liam headlined nothing.

R+L an obvious exception if the two acts swap pole position between the two sites.

27 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

There won’t be a lack of big names but if there was they’d just give the headline slot to someone with confidence that they will do it justice, rather than apologetically saying there is more than one headliner that day.

Foals co-headlining with themselves. 

Playing part 1 and 2 of Everything Not Saved...

With interlude. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2