2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

25 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

But clashes notwithstanding, who here would watch Billie headline?

I doubt I would be there, she's not really for me but I wouldn't be surprised if she got the spot. I know Gaga's tour dates make Glastonbury look unlikely, unless there's potential for a few more European festival dates through July. 

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Not saying I'd never watch her, but it's incredibly unlikely that there wouldn't be something on I'd prefer.

Yeah that sums it up for me.  I didn't see a pyramid headliner last year and likely wouldn't have this year so its not unusual for me.  Nothing against Billie personally but the chances of no one else preferable to me being on elsewhere are pretty much zero.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

I know it was directed at Cream Soda, but I'll chip in!

So past few years my headline choices have been a real mixture. 

Because I wanted to see them: Jon Hopkins, Chemical Brothers, Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Justice, Coldplay, New Order, Blur, Springsteen, Stones, Levellers

Because others were going/nothing else on and I was happy either way: Streets, Disclosure, Rudimental, Mumfords, Chic, Bloc Party, Muse, Gorillaz

I watched Billie's set last year and thought it was pretty good. Surprisingly so.  But unlikely to be where I'd choose to go for one of my headliners, and none of my mates are that into her so not one I'd likely go to as a fallback option. I'm also not one for gong to see something/someone because it's an event in itself, hence choosing Levellers over Stevie Wonder!

Not saying I'd never watch her, but it's incredibly unlikely that there wouldn't be something on I'd prefer.

I was at Billie and was original surprised of her headlining festivals but she must have a good set and better than solely screens planned. She's miles bigger and it surprises me people think 1975 have a better chance, if she's available the festival goes with her in my mind. 

God looking at that I wish I wasnt 19 and had been going for a decade or two.

3 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

It blows my mind you don't see it, she's sold four nights at the O2 and a worldwide tour. One of the biggest musical acts on the planet, headlining massive EU festivals, it would be a big statement, if Stormzy can do it, Billie can definitely. Stormzy hasnt achieved a quarter of what Billie has and it says a lot for equality and she's around and we have two headliners more than likely not returning.

1975 or Billie Eilish - Billie is miles bigger, for God sake, 75 cannot sell out Finsbury Park and there tour was hardly full. She's bigger than all the others in the discussion bar Gaga who's not looking likely due to her dates. If she's an alternative for Glastonbury they are doing very well.

People making the Stormzy comparison, and any act Glastonbury has given the leg up to so quickly, seem to forget that they’re UK based and so it does the local artist a huge favour in giving them the leg up and solidifies Glastonbury as THE festival to promote homegrown acts. Billie is nothing to the festival and I doubt it means anything to her either. If she’s topping the bill next year it’s as a consolation prize, not because they wanted to get in whilst she’s hot shit. It just isn’t Glastonbury’s usual m.o. to bother jumping on hype acts like her after one album, regardless of her seeming longevity. 

5 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Worst thing I've read today. My head's spinning trying to understand how some people can be so wrong

This attitude of people thinking they know what is best for everybody and that their tastes are correct is a real problem.

Although one you will always get on enthusiast forums. 

2 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

I was at Billie and was original surprised of her headlining festivals but she must have a good set and better than solely screens planned. She's miles bigger and it surprises me people think 1975 have a better chance, if she's available the festival goes with her in my mind. 

God looking at that I wish I wasnt 19 and had been going for a decade or two.

Serves you right for being young and having a future instead of looking back like us old farts :lol:

The thing that impressed me most about her was coming out and opening with Bad Guy.  I was expecting that to be saved for the midway slump in a set or the finale; to open up with your biggest tune and arguably the main banger on the album took some chutzpah.

I can see the for/against her headlining at this stage tbh. On one hand you've got the general hype and a pretty rabid fanbase (there was lots of screaming as I recall), but on the other you've got limited material, and I think a question of how well that fanbase translates to a Pyramid headline slot. I know Stormzy was on one album, but he was also riding a massive cultural wave that (and this is the key differentiator for me) was very particular to the UK.

It *could* happen, and there's reasons to think it might, but it's not inevitable.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, zeppelin said:

This attitude of people thinking they know what is best for everybody and that their tastes are correct is a real problem.

Although one you will always get on enthusiast forums. 

Im just a young fool and I don't claim to know what's right, but I certainly know what's wrong; and that's thinking the "Red Hot" Chili Peppers should replace Taylor Swift. It's the musical equivalent of defending statues tbh

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I’ll concede that if Glastonbury really has lost both Taylor and Kendrick and are in a real shiter headliner wise then maybe Billie might get the call due to her being on the touring circuit, if she has a second album out by then, but if not then there’s fuck all chance of it happening, Bond song or not, and tbh I still think whoever they had lined up for next year already would be more likely. The 1975 in for Kendrick, whoever the fuck else was supposed to play in for Taylor. They’re not gonna go for Billie purely because she’s female and they feel they need to fill that void - they can do that elsewhere on the lineup if they feel it necessary. 

They either stay with the same as 2020 or play it safe and book the big name crowd pleasers to make up for the COVID year, which I think rules out the 1975 until the following year.

We know Macca is in.

i reckon she is already on the blower to Alex Turner.

Just now, PolygonWindow said:

They either stay with the same as 2020 or play it safe and book the big name crowd pleasers to make up for the COVID year, which I think rules out the 1975 until the following year.

We know Macca is in.

i reckon she is already on the blower to Alex Turner.

Not sure COVID will really effect headliner choices, this is the same argument as saying "oh well it's the 50th so they need to go all out".

Plus from what I heard about AMs last Glasto performance it didn't really please the crowd at all....

11 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Im just a young fool and I don't claim to know what's right, but I certainly know what's wrong; and that's thinking the "Red Hot" Chili Peppers should replace Taylor Swift. It's the musical equivalent of defending statues tbh

It's really not is it?

I'll balance that with agreeing that RHCP would be a big old step down from Swift though, and not a headline choice I would see Glastonbury going for.

5 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Plus from what I heard about AMs last Glasto performance it didn't really please the crowd at all....

I honestly think the view around AM tanking last time is one of those eFests things where a few people say it enough and it somehow becomes truth. Usually it’s the folk who weren’t there who shout it the loudest.

FWIW I was at that set and I enjoyed it.

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

It's really not is it?

I'll balance that with agreeing that RHCP would be a big old step down from Swift though, and not a headline choice I would see Glastonbury going for.

RHCP are not popular on here, and quite rightly so as they are utter garbage, but they are a headline sized band touring Europe next year. We have to treat them as a contender.

Only way I can realistically see them being booked is if the festival holds out too long for KL/Macca/TS and they don’t come off, leaving the festival needing a headliner quickly. Especially now the Kasabian shaped safety net has gone.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

RHCP are not popular on here, and quite rightly so as they are utter garbage, but they are a headline sized band touring Europe next year. We have to treat them as a contender.

Only way I can realistically see them being booked is if the festival holds out too long for KL/Macca/TS and they don’t come off, leaving the festival needing a headliner quickly. Especially now the Kasabian shaped safety net has gone.

Not going down the RHCP being garbage or not road, as that argument's more tired than most of my gags.

I guess my point on them in this context is that regardless of size they still don't strike me as a Pyramid headliner that Emily would go for unless they were seriously short of options. So no they can't be written out entirely, but I stand by not something I see them going for through choice.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I honestly think the view around AM tanking last time is one of those eFests things where a few people say it enough and it somehow becomes truth. Usually it’s the folk who weren’t there who shout it the loudest.

FWIW I was at that set and I enjoyed it.

Yeah I really doubt it’s the general consensus in the wider audience of people who were there or watched it on television. For big fans I’m sure they nailed it, and even if they didn’t, people would be daft to think it’s gonna stop them being rebooked again (and again).

I might be in the minority but I’ll be happy if Swifty and Kendrick aren’t there. I wasn’t planning on seeing either of them so I won’t complain if there’s two replacement headliners more to my taste. 

RHCP are a band I’ve always wanted to see so I’d be happy with them. 

Whoever does replace them though is going to be a huge act. Could we finally see Fleetwood Mac?

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I might be in the minority but I’ll be happy if Swifty and Kendrick aren’t there. I wasn’t planning on seeing either of them so I won’t complain if there’s two replacement headliners more to my taste. 

RHCP are a band I’ve always wanted to see so I’d be happy with them. 

Whoever does replace them though is going to be a huge act. Could we finally see Fleetwood Mac?

Crowded House are playing next year so that likely rules FM out for another year.

I think they’re a good shout for 22 though.

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

Not going down the RHCP being garbage or not road, as that argument's more tired than most of my gags.

I guess my point on them in this context is that regardless of size they still don't strike me as a Pyramid headliner that Emily would go for unless they were seriously short of options. So no they can't be written out entirely, but I stand by not something I see them going for through choice.

Agree largely with you. If they can book a headliner right now then almost certainly not. If they get to December and they’re still struggling then they may well consider picking up the phone to them.