2021 Headliners

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

The cast of Hamilton aren't Glastonbury headliners, but they're certainly Sunday pyramid openers.

Oh, are we discussing Hamilton? I saw it live about a year ago and thought it was like a painful extended outtake from Whose Line Is It Anyway. I think I may be in the wrong about this...

36 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I wonder if the BBC knew this was coming given the way they pre-emptively excluded Kasabian's 2014 headline set from all of the 50th anniversary celebrations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p021gc30/glastonbury-kasabian still there.

Brilliant news (strong rumours) about Paul McCartney!

My bet is 

Paul Mc / Arctic monkeys/ Taylor swift 

Edited by Earth_pig

19 minutes ago, incident said:

While I don't think Matt has represented himself well here, there's no need for that surely?

Just my two cents:

I'm here to chat about music. That's what I love about this place - there's some fantastic discussion to be had and it's a tremendous resource (as I again found this morning with the excellent 2020 halftime thread).

I find this discussion very sad since I think Matt was initially trying to make some valid points, which unfortunately got lost in some hysteria and escalation over the last hour or so. Matt is clearly a very emotional guy, which is one of things I enjoy most about his posts re: music as he comes across very passionate. Unfortunately that same emotion, which I believe is 100% well meaning, can get out of control and becomes very scattergun. When you're trying to make delicate points like this I find it's best to be very precise and careful with your wording otherwise you end up unintentionally distracting from the core argument. That's why I tend not to get involved because I'm a clumsy fucker!

This isn't the first time we've had this type of heated discussion and people start taking it too far with Matt. I do feel some people almost wait for this to happen with Matt so they can pile on, and I'm sure those people are actively hoping he deletes his account. Which I do find very sad. For the sake of clarity, i'm not referring to regular users on here such as Jass, Dental and co. It tends to be the accounts that post less frequently. I see someone here has even made an account just to get involved and slag him off. Matt has certainly said some mental stuff in this discussion that absolutely warrants being called out, but there's a line that some users cross only with him and seem to repeatedly target him which I find unsettling. 

I purposely try to avoid getting involved in these discussions and I very much don't want to start picking apart points today - I just want to talk about music. I hope Matt doesn't honour his threat to leave as he's part of the rich tapestry that makes up this place, and the forum would be less interesting without him.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 8

That's what I get for taking half an hour to type a comment - y'all moved on! 😂

Anywho - Mad Cool announcing tomorrow. Not sure we'll get any new info, expecting the usual mix of acts who have rescheduled for 2021.

7 minutes ago, jparx said:

That's what I get for taking half an hour to type a comment - y'all moved on! 😂

Oh man, that was all so beautifully considered, crafted and executed. And all for nothing. Feeling for you after that :D

Edited by Quark

So, Nick Cave.

Why does it matter too much whether he has a massive crowd or not? It's not like Glasto only sells tickets because of its headliners. I'm sure a lot of the alternative folk there would watch him headline, as well the people who rarely leave the pyramid field, plus those that are just curious. Also all the people that will watch at home 

I think he said that Ghosteen is the end of a trilogy (with Skeleton Tree and Push the Sky Away) and that the next album will be different. So if that album has some "hits" and featured artists, that could help too. Add to that a few media appearances like on  the Graham Norton show to help expose him to the wider public.

Can't see why he won't be able to headline if he does all that

14 minutes ago, jparx said:

Just my two cents:

I'm here to chat about music. That's what I love about this place - there's some fantastic discussion to be had and it's a tremendous resource (as I again found this morning with the excellent 2020 halftime thread).

I find this discussion very sad since I think Matt was initially trying to make some valid points, which unfortunately got lost in some hysteria and escalation over the last hour or so. Matt is clearly a very emotional guy, which is one of things I enjoy most about his posts re: music as he comes across very passionate. Unfortunately that same emotion, which I believe is 100% well meaning, can get out of control and becomes very scattergun. When you're trying to make delicate points like this I find it's best to be very precise and careful with your wording otherwise you end up unintentionally distracting from the core argument. That's why I tend not to get involved because I'm a clumsy fucker!

This isn't the first time we've had this type of heated discussion and people start taking it too far with Matt. I do feel some people almost wait for this to happen with Matt so they can pile on, and I'm sure those people are actively hoping he deletes his account. Which I do find very sad. For the sake of clarity, i'm not referring to regular users on here such as Jass, Dental and co. It tends to be the accounts that post less frequently. I see someone here has even made an account just to get involved and slag him off. Matt has certainly said some mental stuff in this discussion that absolutely warrants being called out, but there's a line that some users cross only with him and seem to repeatedly target him which I find unsettling. 

I purposely try to avoid getting involved in these discussions and I very much don't want to start picking apart points today - I just want to talk about music. I hope Matt doesn't honour his threat to leave as he's part of the rich tapestry that makes up this place, and the forum would be less interesting without him.

Matt’s a good kid at heart, he really is.

I get frustrated with him because he seems to see the world in absolutes - black/white, good/bad and you either agree with him totally or you’re completely opposed to him. He loses track of the argument and ramps it up ridiculous extremes to try and justify his starting point.

Not one person here defended Meighan or said his crimes were anything other than abominable. But because nobody agreed with Matt’s view that he should be kicked out of music forever this ridiculous argument took place and he now believes that we are all a bunch of dark fruit swigging Neanderthals.

41 minutes ago, Baggins7 said:

I feel for any users logging in later to see Headliners 2021 thread being a hot topic expecting some early news or announcement

😆 This just happened to me, bloody hell.