2021 Headliners

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yup.

I’m going to take a punt that the three headliners Emily hinted at are 

Arctic Monkeys, Lady Gaga, and The 1975.

Something about that trio looks ‘right’ too. Looks like a Glastonbury lineup.

If there was ever a time to try and get Gaga on board then it’s now as she’s undoubtedly at the peak of her star power and ripped Coachella a new arsehole a couple of years back, only now she has a shit hot new album as well. Obviously not sure what coronavirus means for it all, but fingers crossed she’s agreed to push back a year and play 2022 (that is assuming Taylor is still a goer for 2021). 

Ezra?

Would be a major sausage fest if they’ve already got 1975/AM and a pretty bland mix of styles, but under normal circumstances if he had an album due between now and next June then he’d have to be considered a contender.

Personally I think he’ll be on the slate for 22.

Edited by Hugh Jass

Just now, FloorFiller said:

If there was ever a time to try and get Gaga on board then it’s now as she’s undoubtedly at the peak of her star power and ripped Coachella a new arsehole a couple of years back, only now she has a shit hot new album as well. Obviously not sure what coronavirus means for it all, but fingers crossed she’s agreed to push back a year and play 2022 (that is assuming Taylor is still a goer for 2021). 

This is how I could see it going down.

AM could agree to wait a year. Do it at the back end of their tour (like Muse did) in 2016.

The 1975 could probably stick to tbh. They are a solid option for next year and a safe booking.

I personally can’t see all three 2020 headliners rescheduling. I think it will be 1975 + 2 others. 

The 1975, Paul McCartney, Lady Gaga would be excellent.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Ezra?

Would be a major sausage fest if they’ve already got 1975/AM and a pretty bland mix of styles, but under normal circumstances if he had an album due between now and next June then he’d have to be considered a contender.

Personally I think he’ll be on the slate for 22.

Ezra will wait

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

That said, they booked Radiohead, Foos and Sheeran in 2017 - two bands and a male solo act guitar act... Is 1975, Monkeys and Ezra any different?

(Quality notwithstanding)

That trio would be like they’ve booked the B grade versions of the 2017 headliners. I don’t see it at all.

They could but I hope they don’t.

I think they will save Ezra for a year where he can be the bump up headliner. 

2022 sounds right. He can do some gigs in 2021 which even further justify his size and headline comfortably in 2022. Kinda like the 1975 have been doing!.... covid aside

8 minutes ago, BFisherr said:

If Taylor is back next year I wonder whether we might also see Panic! at the Disco make a return, likely to have a new album out come next year, co-headlined R&L 2018 and Brendon would make a great guest for Taylor's set.

Doubt it. Whilst I’m a little out of the loop with them and honestly shocked at how big they’ve gotten, they don’t really strike me as a Glastonbury band now (not that they really were in 2008 mind - strange booking) and they can almost definitely get a headline slot at Reading/Leeds. Not to say he couldn’t pop up with Swift anyway if he’s in the U.K. at the time, but I don’t see it. 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Doubt it. Whilst I’m a little out of the loop with them and honestly shocked at how big they’ve gotten, they don’t really strike me as a Glastonbury band now (not that they really were in 2008 mind - strange booking) and they can almost definitely get a headline slot at Reading/Leeds. Not to say he couldn’t pop up with Swift anyway if he’s in the U.K. at the time, but I don’t see it. 

They've been a Radio 1 band for years haven't they? Perfect Other Stage fodder really, imo

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

So following Emily’s comments she said “maybe ONE” of the headliners lined up for 2021 had headlined before. I don’t think this means that the other two have never played the festival before. Just means that we were due one returning headliner. I guess for now we will say she could have meant Arctic Monkeys.

Taking that users post as good info - the 1975 were the other headliner they had in the pipeline. This makes sense as their omission from the 2020 lineup is pretty noticeable.

So who do you think was the third on the table? Probably one headliner that hasn’t done it before and likely to be someone quite different from the other two. I don’t think AM and 1975 would be weird to have in one year if the third headliner was something totally different. I don’t think it’s Fleetwood Mac as Crowded House we’re quick to reschedule their 2020 dates. If a Fleetwood Mac tour was in the pipeline they’d definitely be holding out.

So I think the third headliner in mind for 2021 has to fit this criteria

- Not a band

- Not headlined before (could have played the festival before but not headlined).

- something that would balance out AM and 1975 well.

What do you think? I have a name in mind but I’m going to let some people have a shot first.

Madonna

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

So following Emily’s comments she said “maybe ONE” of the headliners lined up for 2021 had headlined before. I don’t think this means that the other two have never played the festival before. Just means that we were due one returning headliner. I guess for now we will say she could have meant Arctic Monkeys.

Taking that users post as good info - the 1975 were the other headliner they had in the pipeline. This makes sense as their omission from the 2020 lineup is pretty noticeable.

So who do you think was the third on the table? Probably one headliner that hasn’t done it before and likely to be someone quite different from the other two. I don’t think AM and 1975 would be weird to have in one year if the third headliner was something totally different. I don’t think it’s Fleetwood Mac as Crowded House we’re quick to reschedule their 2020 dates. If a Fleetwood Mac tour was in the pipeline they’d definitely be holding out.

So I think the third headliner in mind for 2021 has to fit this criteria

- Not a band

- Not headlined before (could have played the festival before but not headlined).

- something that would balance out AM and 1975 well.

What do you think? I have a name in mind but I’m going to let some people have a shot first.

Gaga immediately came to mind, but something different to throw into the mix... Could Miley come back?

I'd assume it would be a female act, to balance it out, so I'd maybe throw Ariana Grande in the mix too.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

I think Madge and Fleetwood Mac are the last two “white whales” for the festival. Acts that the festival are clearly desperate to book and have chased for a while. Prince was another.

Elton ? maybe they haven't chased him as hard ? 

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

You never get the impression that the festival are that bothered about Reg. They’ve certainly never courted him publicly the way they have with FM for instance.

yep ... always thought its quite an odd one ... he often seems to be touring at festival time ... maybe his money demands are too high or hes just never had any interest in playing ....

15 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

yep ... always thought its quite an odd one ... he often seems to be touring at festival time ... maybe his money demands are too high or hes just never had any interest in playing ....

I’m sure if either side approached the other they would talk. But from the outside there doesn’t seem to be much desire from either party.