2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

See amended above but the consensus is that it is for pearl jam if it’s happening. Not Kenny related

lollapalooza Stockholm has moved to the following weekend... so maybe it is a pearl jam thing

Kendrick also playing there. It’s not over yet!

32 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

* ken hinting rw are moving dates

moving to glasto weekend was speculation 

I'm pretty sure Ken meant Werchter news by saying 'something's moving'. 

And I'm pretty sure Ken said that because of a hint from an insider on Festileaks that RW may announce something this week. 

2 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Kendrick will surely be at the top of the list when he's active again.

The 1975  are the only young British band I can see getting the bump-up in the near future, maybe Foals but that's not a sure thing. I think Dua and Billie need another album to see if their critical commercial success continues. 

If they were to headline next year it would have been eight years for Arctic Monkeys,  but I can imagine them releasing a single late next Summer and then playing '22.

So arent we at the point where you can have one album with another coming, or just be on your second and headline? Did that just not happen with Stormzy? Arctics did it too and theres others. Billie would truly have to have a flop of an album to not be considered and thats likely going to be very difficult due to her fanbase not caring about what is next. itll sell and there Only needs to be 2 singles that are decent, which will chart well anyway. 

I mean its all about you either got them to headline when theyre going to peak come festival time or that it pushes them up there. It also endears you to the artist and you can sit back on rebooking them again years down the road and you dont need to struggle to get them when they would be in the highest demand. ( coldplay for better or worse ) If they booked Billie for next year lets say, she is 20 years old. You dont have to return to that well for at least 5 years and can see how it turned out. 

There are going to have to be “risks” taken when it comes to younger artists because if they are trying to not have the same headliners rotating around every 5 years theyll have to stretch like that. Its just if the audience agrees to it or not, which we all know is going to happen.

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They said that about Lorde

When did Lorde make a flop album. 😆When is an album successful then? Green Light alone has 362 million streams on Spotify and 146 million hits on YT. And next to being a commercial hit, that second release was one of the highest praised albums that year.  

Edited by lighthouse

Just now, lighthouse said:

When did Lorde make a flop album. 😆When is an album successful then? Green Light alone has 362 million streams on Spotify and 146 million hits on YT. 

Her last album charted at no. 5 in the UK. Wanna know who was at no. 3 that very same week? Fucking Nickelback.

Just now, dentalplan said:

Her last album charted at no. 5 in the UK. Wanna know who was at no. 3 that very same week? Fucking Nickelback.

Yeah, but don't look at those classical 'album sales charts'. And if you do, you'll see that her second album actually charted higher worldwide than her debut...

• Upvote 1

Can we talk about the ‘family ethos’ of the festival and the fact it is prime time on the BBC. I don’t know the history of the festival that we’ll, do I might be making a fool of myself. But headliners at Glastonbury aren’t normally (ever?) controversial in the moralistic sense. It has only been for music right? Kanye being the exception I guess, but his controversies (pre-headline especially) are not ‘bad’ things really? 

But Drake (alleged sexual assault, kissing the 17 year old on camera, friendship with young girls etc.) seems a little bit controversial for a Glastonbury headliner to me? Maybe I’m totally wrong on that. 

Equally, Eminem’s homophobic  lyrics (defend them or not) seen a little on the nose for Glastonbury as well. 

I know both are ruled out anyway for various reasons and I don’t want to start a debate or the rights or wrongs of ‘cancel culture’, I just don’t see the Eavis’ booking controversial people as headliners and dancing the “family festival” brand?

Edited by kemosabe

Just now, lighthouse said:

Yeah, but don't look at those classical 'album sales charts'. And if you do, you'll see that her second album actually charted higher worldwide than her debut...

Stop using worldwide metrics and step to me like if Billie Eilish put an album out that charted below Nickelback it wouldn't be a disaster for her.

10 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Agree. I think Lorde is in a really great spot now heading to the third record. Two really successful albums under her belt, a few huge singles and critical acclaim on top of it all. Personally I hope she smashes it again on the next album and it puts her in the headline mix. Her Other set looked fantastic on TV. She has the show and presence of a headliner - just needs a couple more big tunes.

4 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

Can we talk about the ‘family ethos’ of the festival and the fact it is prime time on the BBC. I don’t know the history of the festival that we’ll, do I might be making a fool of myself. But headliners at Glastonbury aren’t normally (ever?) controversial in the moralistic sense. It has only been for music right? Kanye being the exception I guess, but his controversies (pre-headline especially) are not ‘bad’ things really? 

But Drake (alleged sexual assault, kissing the 17 year old on camera, friendship with young girls etc.) seems a little bit controversial for a Glastonbury headliner to me? Maybe I’m totally wrong on that. 

Equally, Eminem’s homophobic  lyrics (defend them or not) seen a little on the nose for Glastonbury as well. 

I know both are ruled out anyway for various reasons and I don’t want to start a debate or the rights or wrongs of ‘cancel culture’, I just don’t see the Eavis’ booking controversial people as headliners and dancing the “family festival” brand?

It's very likely they've booked Aerosmith for next year.

5 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

Can we talk about the ‘family ethos’ of the festival and the fact it is prime time on the BBC. Headliners at Glastonbury aren’t normally (ever?) controversial in the moralistic sense. It has only been for music right? Kanye being the exception I guess, but his controversies (pre-headline especially) are not ‘bad’ things really? 

I’ve not looked in to them enough to know what the deal is with them, but I’m guessing the Drake controversies you mention there are either unproven or innocent enough to not have any effect on his bookings, or I’m sure other venues would’ve taken similar cancelling actions. He definitely seems to have done some creepy stuff, but nothing that would be deemed intentionally illegal I don’t think (that’s been proven, anyway...)

I agree that Eminem’s past (and unfortunately, current) use of homophobic language is probably a big reason why Glastonbury have never bothered with him, but the money issue is always gonna be the main reason really. 

Speaking to The Guardian, Eavis addressed criticism over the festival booking Depp. She said: “If you start booking people on their ethical policy and morals, there’s a lot of people you wouldn’t book, to be honest. Part of our policy is that everyone has the freedom to book who is right for their area.”

7 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I agree that Eminem’s past (and unfortunately, current) use of homophobic language is probably a big reason why Glastonbury have never bothered with him, but the money issue is always gonna be the main reason really. 

Yeah agree with this.

Especially on the point about Eminem. It's hard to judge where the festival stand on him from that sense because as you say he's out of their price range anyway, and I think they're also aware that his shows are pretty weak at this point. He's not a good test case for where they stand on booking headliners with a dodgy track record.

Edited by jparx

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It's very likely they've booked Aerosmith for next year.

I know nothing about Aerosmith or their controversy’s, but it wasn’t to headline right? I feel that brings with it a special level of attention in the media/ wider public. Look at the geezer who made the Kanye statement, both Eavis’ still talk about how awful that that debacle was, he hadn’t even ever been to the festival. I doubt he’d of made that petition if Kanye was even sub-headlining. 

Just now, jparx said:

Especially on the point about Eminem. It's hard to judge where the festival stand on him from that sense because as you say he's out of their price range anyway, and I think they're also aware that his shows are pretty weak at this point. He's not a good test case for where they stand on booking headliners with a dodgy track record.

I think his last Reading show and his Twickenham(?) shows got rave reviews. If he wanted to play, they would book him on the spot but as you say, the money.

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I’ve not looked in to them enough to know what the deal is with them, but I’m guessing the Drake controversies you mention there are either unproven or innocent enough to not have any effect on his bookings, or I’m sure other venues would’ve taken similar cancelling actions. He definitely seems to have done some creepy stuff, but nothing that would be deemed intentionally illegal I don’t think (that’s been proven, anyway...)

Yeah I mean I didn’t want to start a debate about Drake specifically, it’s all on the internet if you want to look up his controversial incidents. I merely wanted to bring up the wider moral factor of the festival (especially headliners) being a widely accessed cultural event. I think it would certainly play a part in their thinking. Obviously cost and availability are bigger factors perhaps. 

7 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

I know nothing about Aerosmith or their controversy’s, but it wasn’t to headline right? I feel that brings with it a special level of attention in the media/ wider public. Look at the geezer who made the Kanye statement, both Eavis’ still talk about how awful that that debacle was, he hadn’t even ever been to the festival. I doubt he’d of made that petition if Kanye was even sub-headlining. 

If the festival had certain moral standards or its acts, it would extend to all and not just headliners. The headliners are more likely to attract petitions but that's just because people are using it as an excuse for not liking the choice of headline act. Just like people talking about Drake or Eminem not being up to the moral standard would be, really.

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

Really?! His Reading show looked fucking brutal.

2017? 2013 got poor reviews but 2017 I think got a few five stars.

Edited by dentalplan

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Speaking to The Guardian, Eavis addressed criticism over the festival booking Depp. She said: “If you start booking people on their ethical policy and morals, there’s a lot of people you wouldn’t book, to be honest. Part of our policy is that everyone has the freedom to book who is right for their area.”

That’s not really relevant in the case of headliners, where it is the family themselves who choose though right? I think they can publicly defend the freedom of the festival stages/ areas to book who they want, but also avoid the controversy in their own headline selection. 

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If the festival had certain moral standards or its acts, it would extend to all and not just headliners. The headliners are more likely to attract petitions but that's just because people are using it as an excuse for not liking the choice of headline act. Just like people talking about Drake or Eminem not being up to the moral standard would be, really.

I disagree with you in the sense that I believe that if Drake was announced it would cause outrage online, which would be picked up by the media. I believe Eminem would be similar. What I don’t know is if the Eavis’ care, or, would actively seek to avoid such criticisms. I can’t answer that. 

Just now, kemosabe said:

That’s not really relevant in the case of headliners, where it is the family themselves who choose though right? I think they can publicly defend the freedom of the festival stages/ areas to book who they want, but also avoid the controversy in their own headline selection. 

She's also said many times that it's impossible to avoid negativity about headliners. There's no founding for the shout that they have a strict view on the ethics of their headliners. They just book big acts and have done with it.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

They’ve booked Morrissey many times and he’s an unequivocal racist 

• Upvote 1