2021 Headliners

1 minute ago, jparx said:

I just can't picture Drake at Glastonbury. I don't think he'd be approached by the festival and I don't think he'd approach them either. I wouldn't rule it out 100% but I think there's plenty of acts more likely than Drake. 

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

From what Drake charges for his own shows these days I think he’d laugh at the paltry sum Glastonbury offered him. He just doesn’t strike me as somebody who does things that don’t benefit him financially, and, although it may be my bias showing, I think the festival can do better than booking somebody who’s entire marketing strategy these days seems to be ‘jam as many songs on an album and make some silly meme dances to go along with them’. Put him alongside Jay Z, Kanye and Kendrick in terms of influence and quality and there’s just no competition, and I’m sure Emily is aware of this.

If the right person told him it was a cool thing to do he would do it

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If someone pitched it right to him he would look the other way to the fee. I think the only reason he hasn’t done it yet is probably because he doesn’t know about it. When that happens he will do it.

I can't imagine he doesn't know about it given the people that have done it so far.

Just now, Cream Soda said:

I can't imagine he doesn't know about it given the people that have done it so far.

You’d say that but I don’t think many of his industry friends have actually played. I highly doubt Kanye would be singing high praises about it - but he’s not really in the Jay-Z circles.

His UK based mates would probably think higher of wireless. Skepta etc hasn’t played glasto in a while now.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

You’d say that but I don’t think many of his industry friends have actually played. I highly doubt Kanye would be singing high praises about it - but he’s not really in the Jay-Z circles.

His UK based mates would probably think higher of wireless. Skepta etc hasn’t played glasto in a while now.

It's not just about his mates , I'm sure his management keep an eye on things, especially who is headlining one of the biggest festivals in the industry.  I think the idea that Drake doesn't know about Glastonbury is pretty much 0%, whether he is interested is another matter though.

4 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

It's not just about his mates , I'm sure his management keep an eye on things, especially who is headlining one of the biggest festivals in the industry.  I think the idea that Drake doesn't know about Glastonbury is pretty much 0%, whether he is interested is another matter though.

Yeah good point. I wouldn’t be surprised if the festival hasn’t approached him, but I could see one year his team might approach the festival.

If Kendrick headlined I’m sure that would get Drake’s attention.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah good point. I wouldn’t be surprised if the festival hasn’t approached him, but I could see one year his team might approach the festival.

WHEN Kendrick headlines.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don't think Drake really gives a shit what Kendrick is up to - they're completely different types of acts. Kendrick clearly cares about the quality of what he's putting out and the artistry that comes with it, whereas Drake is all about that chart success, and since Hotline Bling became an internet meme has just seemed to capitalise on that for his following releases, and it's working. He's also not done a festival since 2015, so there's a good chance he's realised that doing his own shows is far more lucrative and decided to knock festivals on the head entirely. 

9 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I don't think Drake really gives a shit what Kendrick is up to - they're completely different types of acts. Kendrick clearly cares about the quality of what he's putting out and the artistry that comes with it, whereas Drake is all about that chart success, and since Hotline Bling became an internet meme has just seemed to capitalise on that for his following releases, and it's working. He's also not done a festival since 2015, so there's a good chance he's realised that doing his own shows is far more lucrative and decided to knock festivals on the head entirely. 

Damn man are there any viable headliners in the entire industry? Do you need to call up the Eavis family and tell em not to bother 🤣

28 minutes ago, syc1818 said:

Doesn't drake play like a minute of all his songs rather than a proper setlist? 

More or less. That might annoy people at a festival, but he did sell out all those nights at the O2 regardless of that. Its become his crutch that he needs a guest or 2 on every song or else he thinks it wont top the charts. Its the big difference between him and Kanye. 

if he did play, I think he will likely make up for his past festival sins where he thought it was just like any other show and its not.

53 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Adele and Sheeran are both British, with Sheeran already having played Glastonbury a few times. I'm sure they were honoured to do it. Kanye, at the time of playing, wasn't the huge megabucks artist that those other two currently are, and in fact was a highly controversial figure, who is also never one to turn away from a challenge. I'm sure after Jay Z did it he was eager to get on that stage and prove he could do it too, even if it didn't quite go down how he'd hoped.

What? Kanye not being a megabucks star? He was playing a pretty exclusive show (I would guess euro exclusive?) and this was a couple years after Yeezus, he must have been pretty near or maybe just after his peak fame. Sure he was controversial, so surely thats a point against him (and a reason why travis or drake could do G?). And sure, now Kanye has done it I'm sure Travis will wanna do it too (you could make that point about any rapper)

56 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I may be well off with Billie but I just struggle to see her topping the Pyramid a couple of years from now. Maybe, despite her lukewarm performance last year, she gets it, and would jump at the chance to do it, but I honestly think Reading/Leeds will chuck money at her for her to headline there first. And as far as why I don't think the organisers would be too bothered, you kind of answered your own question with the Gaga question there. Maybe they could've booked Gaga to headline way back when, but they didn't, and still haven't. What makes Billie any different? Surely Gaga is the next in line female pop star to top the Pyramid before Billie comes in to the equation?

The festival has changed quite a bit since 2011 though. Sure they didn't book Gaga back then, but I expect most people look back on that decision and think "why didnt it happen, it was such an obvious booking for everyone involved". Sure, she is female and also pop, so she isn't going to be to everyones tastes. And yeah she could be swayed by the pure cash of R+L, but who knows, I definitely dont think that alone is enough to shut her out of potential future headliner conversations

1 minute ago, Suprefan said:

Its become his crutch that he needs a guest or 2 on every song or else he thinks it wont top the charts. Its the big difference between him and Kanye. 

Interesting that you think that because I'd say it was almost the opposite. Most of Drakes recent hit songs have been solo joints (Nice For What, Gods Plan, In My Feelings etc.) wheras Kanyes most recent hits have been collabs (Wash us in the blood w/ Travis, I Like It /w Pump). Not that it really matters though imo

12 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

The festival has changed quite a bit since 2011 though. Sure they didn't book Gaga back then, but I expect most people look back on that decision and think "why didnt it happen, it was such an obvious booking for everyone involved". Sure, she is female and also pop, so she isn't going to be to everyones tastes. And yeah she could be swayed by the pure cash of R+L, but who knows, I definitely dont think that alone is enough to shut her out of potential future headliner conversations

I can’t see Billie returning to R&L. She would outright headline and I can’t see her agreeing to doing R&L and nothing else.

I think she’s way more likely for Glastonbury where she can do Glasto + her own shows.

Kendrick will surely be at the top of the list when he's active again.

The 1975  are the only young British band I can see getting the bump-up in the near future, maybe Foals but that's not a sure thing. I think Dua and Billie need another album to see if their critical commercial success continues. 

If they were to headline next year it would have been eight years for Arctic Monkeys,  but I can imagine them releasing a single late next Summer and then playing '22.

Just now, Matt42 said:

I can’t see Billie returning to R&L. She would outright headline and I can’t see her agreeing to doing R&L and nothing else.

I think she’s way more likely for Glastonbury where she can do Glasto + her own shows.

Why would doing R+L preclude her from doing her own shows? Stormzy was headlining R+L this year and then coming back to play Leeds Arena 2(?) weeks later

5 hours ago, nikkic said:

In my opinion...

Arctic Monkeys - Only a matter of time 
Adele - Won’t happen again, nailed it first time round
Blur - In 5-10 years
Radiohead - In 5-10 years
Mumford & Sons - In their dreams 
Beyonce - Hopefully on her next album 
U2 - Unfinished business 
Bruce Springsteen - Nope 
Jay-Z - Nope 
Kanye - Nope 

These would be great album titles for the most part

• Upvote 7

Has Eminem ever been linked with Glastonbury, I’d find it a bit surprising how someone of his size has never performed there in his 20 year or so long career. Heavy rumours he was meant to be doing a few european shows like Sziget this year. If he pushes these plans back to next year could he be a possible replacement for Kendrick Lamar in a like for like swap? 

2 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Interesting that you think that because I'd say it was almost the opposite. Most of Drakes recent hit songs have been solo joints (Nice For What, Gods Plan, In My Feelings etc.) wheras Kanyes most recent hits have been collabs (Wash us in the blood w/ Travis, I Like It /w Pump). Not that it really matters though imo

Career wise though  most people will look at their bodies of work and see that one had a whole arc of collabs while the other was getting it done alone. One seeking out radio hits and one not. But live performance wise Kanye had always been able to present his songs alone without having to do snippets and move along to another song.

19 minutes ago, alfc7 said:

Has Eminem ever been linked with Glastonbury, I’d find it a bit surprising how someone of his size has never performed there in his 20 year or so long career. Heavy rumours he was meant to be doing a few european shows like Sziget this year. If he pushes these plans back to next year could he be a possible replacement for Kendrick Lamar in a like for like swap? 

On paper yes Eminem can headline

I just can’t see it being a very “glastonbury” set. He wouldn’t talk and engage with the crowd in the way at glasto headliner does.

It comes down to weird semantics but it’s probably just not happening. When you see Eminem live it’s almost like you aren’t seeing Eminem live... anyone who has seen him knows what I mean. He’s just kinda there on stage rapping Eminem songs. There’s nothing more than that.

Edited by Matt42

18 minutes ago, alfc7 said:

Honestly there are a lot of reasons why Eminem will never do it, but most of all is probably money. He’s notoriously a very expensive booking, and I doubt either he or the festival would budge on that.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Don’t want to get ahead of myself, but they were both sharing Kendrick this year, right? Sure hope that’s a good sign. 

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Or Glastonbury have stopped fucking around and finally booked System of a Down to headline.

See amended above but the consensus is that it is for pearl jam if it’s happening. Not Kenny related

lollapalooza Stockholm has moved to the following weekend... so maybe it is a pearl jam thing

Edited by Matt42