2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

Just now, jparx said:

Don't see why Beyonce would if Jay-Z, Kanye, Bruce and Adele wouldn't? Beyonce nailed it as much as any of them and seems equally as one and done I think.

I agree. Seen a few people on here argue that her best work came after headlining Glastonbury and that she's hit a whole other level now, but that only adds to the reasoning for her not doing it again for me. I'm sure in her mind it's ticked off and not something she's particularly bothered about repeating.

Just now, zeppelin said:

So watching The Chems headline set from 2000 and it got me and my brother thinking. Are Daft Punk realistically the only dance act that could headline the Pyramid now?

Pretty much, yeah. There are tons of dance acts who are technically big enough to do it, but both Chems and Daft Punk cross that dance/rock boundary that makes them so perfect for Glastonbury that no others do. It's a shame that it looks like they're probably not ever gonna up and tour again.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Pretty much, yeah. There are tons of dance acts who are technically big enough to do it, but both Chems and Daft Punk cross that dance/rock boundary that makes them so perfect for Glastonbury that no others do. It's a shame that it looks like they're probably not ever gonna up and tour again.

Yeah, Daft Punk occupy a place on a very short list of artists I love that have been active in my lifetime but I haven't managed to see. And I can't see that changing.

Seeing the Chems anywhere that's not in the Other Stage field feels a bit like sacrilege to me as well. Can't wait for their 2023 set 😜

7 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

So watching The Chems headline set from 2000 and it got me and my brother thinking. Are Daft Punk realistically the only dance act that could headline the Pyramid now?

With disclosure bringing their new album out, if it’s seriously good/reception to it is on par with their first album then they perhaps get into contention 

but like people have said it will have to blend a few genres in or bring something new to the table 

if it’s carbon copy of the first album then retract that and put them on Other 

17 minutes ago, jparx said:

Don't see why Beyonce would if Jay-Z, Kanye, Bruce and Adele wouldn't? Beyonce nailed it as much as any of them and seems equally as one and done I think.

My main thinking is that if the festival want to balance the gender gap, then there’s far less bona fide A graders. 

Of course there’s plenty they can bump up or first time headliners. 

But if they want grade A eggs then Beyoncé, Madge and Taylor are the choices. 

Jay Z has been on the wane for years. 

Just don’t think Kanye would do it again. 

Could be completely wrong of course, just a guess.

Edited by nikkic

3 minutes ago, Obiginnaw said:

With disclosure bringing their new album out, if it’s seriously good/reception to it is on par with their first album then they perhaps get into contention 

but like people have said it will have to blend a few genres in or bring something new to the table 

if it’s carbon copy of the first album then retract that and put them on Other 

I really dig ENERGY but personally can't imagine them getting higher than an Other headline slot. As you say they'd really need to bring something new to the table.

5 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Just don’t think Kanye would do it again.

I did think this too but he has headlined some festivals a couple of times and was very close to doing Coachella again in 2019. He instead wanted to do a Sunday service set.

I just feel Kanye is so unpredictable you don’t know. He could call up the Eavis family and ask to play again - you never know.

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They didn't even do a good job of headlining the Other Stage the last time they did it.

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

That's a polite way of putting "they stunk up the place" Calgon

Haha have they already done it? I had in my head they'd only headlined WH.

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I've given up with Slow Rush. Should I try again or is it really as boring as several plays suggested to me?

Sadly for me it just doesn't ever seem to progress, there are a couple of songs I enjoy but other than that I am disappointed, however, it took me a good 6 months to come round to  Currents so I'll keep trying it. 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I doubt Drake or Travis Scott have even entered the organisers minds. Money driven artists who don't need what Glastonbury is giving. Far more likely to do Reading/Leeds or their own massive tours for the big bucks.

Couldn't you have used this argument for Kanye / Adele / Sheeran as well? At least those folks actually do festivals somewhat regularly...

Dua was booked to headline Other, so saying she could headline the Pyramid is dumb.

I assume Dua was probably booked before anything from her second album dropped (or if not, it must have been at the very start of Don't Start Now's reign on the charts). I agree I don't think she'll do it next year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see her on her next album

Billie ain't gonna headline any time soon. She needs a new album, and even then I don't think Glastonbury would be driven to give her the call at this stage in her career.

Any reason for this out of you arbitrarily deciding Emily isn't interested? In terms of international popstars shes pretty up there right now, she could always go for R+L for sure, but I'm sure Glasto would also want her. Would you not agree they could have booked Gaga off the back of Born This Way back in 2012? As imo that is the kinda level Billie is at right now

30 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Was it as dull as Muse? Because Muse was drab. 

I'm gonna say it was on par. I fell asleep (or passed out, depending on your definition) standing up watching Disclosure, so went back to my ten at Big Ground to get some bits, stock up on booze and head back out to meet mates in SE Corner later.  Sat down in a chair to watch the tail end of Muse from the camp. Fell asleep / passed out again.

So I'm saying they were both quite dull based on that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'm gonna say it was on par. I fell asleep (or passed out, depending on your definition) standing up watching Disclosure, so went back to my ten at Big Ground to get some bits, stock up on booze and head back out to meet mates in SE Corner later.  Sat down in a chair to watch the tail end of Muse from the camp. Fell asleep / passed out again.

So I'm saying they were both quite dull based on that.

Good point well made! I was really excited for Muse but ended up enjoying Foals more and it felt like the crowd did as well. 

48 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Couldn't you have used this argument for Kanye / Adele / Sheeran as well? At least those folks actually do festivals somewhat regularly...

Any reason for this out of you arbitrarily deciding Emily isn't interested? In terms of international popstars shes pretty up there right now, she could always go for R+L for sure, but I'm sure Glasto would also want her. Would you not agree they could have booked Gaga off the back of Born This Way back in 2012? As imo that is the kinda level Billie is at right now

Adele and Sheeran are both British, with Sheeran already having played Glastonbury a few times. I'm sure they were honoured to do it. Kanye, at the time of playing, wasn't the huge megabucks artist that those other two currently are, and in fact was a highly controversial figure, who is also never one to turn away from a challenge. I'm sure after Jay Z did it he was eager to get on that stage and prove he could do it too, even if it didn't quite go down how he'd hoped.

I may be well off with Billie but I just struggle to see her topping the Pyramid a couple of years from now. Maybe, despite her lukewarm performance last year, she gets it, and would jump at the chance to do it, but I honestly think Reading/Leeds will chuck money at her for her to headline there first. And as far as why I don't think the organisers would be too bothered, you kind of answered your own question with the Gaga question there. Maybe they could've booked Gaga to headline way back when, but they didn't, and still haven't. What makes Billie any different? Surely Gaga is the next in line female pop star to top the Pyramid before Billie comes in to the equation?

Muse had so little going for them that year. Second year touring a pretty naff record, following a pretty raucous Foals set and people seemed generally defeated by the weather by the time they came on. I know acts can overcome weather if they nail it, but it seemed the cherry on top for Muse that night.

My main recollection is being just outside the pit and spending most of the evening helping people out of the mud as their wellies got stuck.

I just can't picture Drake at Glastonbury. I don't think he'd be approached by the festival and I don't think he'd approach them either. I wouldn't rule it out 100% but I think there's plenty of acts more likely than Drake. 

10 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

I agree, he’s also so desperate to be British lol..the fee would be the main issue though I think.

From what Drake charges for his own shows these days I think he’d laugh at the paltry sum Glastonbury offered him. He just doesn’t strike me as somebody who does things that don’t benefit him financially, and, although it may be my bias showing, I think the festival can do better than booking somebody who’s entire marketing strategy these days seems to be ‘jam as many songs on an album and make some silly meme dances to go along with them’. Put him alongside Jay Z, Kanye and Kendrick in terms of influence and quality and there’s just no competition, and I’m sure Emily is aware of this.

12 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

I agree, he’s also so desperate to be British lol..the fee would be the main issue though I think.

If someone pitched it right to him he would look the other way to the fee. I think the only reason he hasn’t done it yet is probably because he doesn’t know about it. When that happens he will do it.

I think he’s an artist which could easily sneak attack us one year and appear on the top of the bill. Next time we are having a year where we don’t have a fucking clue who is headlining I reckon he could be a solid shout. 

I always feel like one year we will get a daily mail or sun article saying he’s interested in doing it and that will be the first we hear of it. I can’t imagine rumours of him doing it would leak to efestivals.