2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

1 minute ago, Quark said:

I'm starting to get the vibe that you're not really a Coldplay fan Fuzz.....

Ha Im not! But I'm more into variety & giving someone new a crack at headlining. I can't abide Ed Sheeran, but had no issue with him headlining at the time (see 1975). 

I quite like AM - but they've done it twice. There needs to be a significant gap between performances IMO. I'm thinking 10 years. 

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Nailed on

3 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

She has rescheduled her show at Eden Project for next June so she's certain I would say.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Seems a slam dunk. Looks like her tour was in place to supplement Glastonbury, so now the tour is back on for 2021 the legend slot announcement is just a formality.

Excellent!

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

1975 / Macca / Swift.

Seems a good trio to me. Two first time headliners, legacy act, good mix of genres, with Diana you've got a good gender balance across the big 4 and acts to appeal to multiple demographics.

It's not the dream but hey, I'd see Thom on WH and then back to Pyramid headliners. All good.

Oh god we are back to 1975 / Macca / Swift !! Didn’t we think that was the trio for this year originally?

20 minutes ago, PolygonWindow said:

L

I would say this to people who dislike the 1975 - go and see them. I used to absolutely hate them until I saw them and they blew me away. If you’re into big production bands who operate well with enhanced back drop/ lighting/ graphics then definitely give them a chance (given there is no one else on that you’d prefer to see!)

I’m not going to waste time going to see a band I don’t like. I’m sure there’ll be something on elsewhere to entertain me.

Just now, Matt42 said:

I can’t see AM playing personally. I think them having shows planned for June really doesn’t mean anything. I think they can easily just do their own shows.

I’d wager AM are very high up the list of potential replacements for any drop outs. They could easily have been pencilled in for next year anyway.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’d wager AM are very high up the list of potential replacements for any drop outs. They could easily have been pencilled in for next year anyway.

I’m not too sure now you know. I know they probably seem like a british band waiting in the wings to headline, but I do think they pretty much do their own thing now. They are a U.K. staple and can afford to do other things. If rumours believed they were asked in 2019 to replace Macca and turned it down.

However this could fuck up my argument. They could have said no to 2019 but yes “the next time we tour” which may explain why a 2021 headliner was pencilled in so early.

7 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Absolute guff of the highest order. Biggest shock I've ever had that they have done anything. Thought their set in 2014 was laughably bad... but in saying all that... it's a new headliner & I'd rather them be given the gig than a a constant repeat headliner. (AM, Muse & definitely the Coldplay's of the world)

Plus I saw an interview with the lead singer & he seems a decent guy.

if I’m honest I shared this exact opinion about them about 2 years ago. What altered my view was going from treating them as a ‘rock’ band to more of a pop act.

Once I made that change I started to really appreciate the hooky writing and thought process which goes into it, like, it’s very evident they know who their audience are but what i really applaud is how don’t just feed them the same old shit record after record, they do change their sound up.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m not too sure now you know. I know they probably seem like a british band waiting in the wings to headline, but I do think they pretty much do their own thing now. They are a U.K. staple and can afford to do other things. If rumours believed they were asked in 2019 to replace Macca and turned it down.

However this could fuck up my argument. They could have said no to 2019 but yes “the next time we tour” which may explain why a 2021 headliner was pencilled in so early.

There was a conspicuous lack of festivals and big gigs on their last album and I wonder if the divisive response to TBHC stung them a little so they’ve waited. My money is them coming back next year with another album and headlining at least one major UK festival. 

18 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Were they? Thought they were Friday.

Doesnt matter either way as they weren’t getting ahead of Kendrick or Macca for me.

They were Friday or Saturday.  Was nothing to say they were defo Saturday (unless I missed something)

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Rather see yer man from The 1975 be given an opportunity to smash it than the Arctic Monkeys be given a third time to make an absolute pie of it.

AM’s 2013 sets is honestly one of my favourite all time Glastonbury sets, happily have them back.