2021 Headliners

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

On the list of acts that feel like 'one and done', Adele is near the top alongside the Stones.

Yeah. Stevie Wonder felt like that too. 

I can imagine her turning up at some point. Someone random on the Pyramid -she comes out. Probably Coldplay's next showing.

16 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Is Taylor Swift not likely to be back next year then?

We dunno. Taylor was very modest in her Sun interview about coming back. Took more of a “it’s a shame” approach, rather than maybe see you next year!

Adele will never come back to headline regardless of the festivals headliner circumstances. She did it against all odds, absolutely nailed it more than anybody could’ve hoped, and that’ll be that. She’s not an act I can see doing many/any other festivals any time soon and I reckon she’ll probably still to stadium shows instead.

31 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Adele will never come back to headline regardless of the festivals headliner circumstances. She did it against all odds, absolutely nailed it more than anybody could’ve hoped, and that’ll be that. She’s not an act I can see doing many/any other festivals any time soon and I reckon she’ll probably still to stadium shows instead.

There is already one festival out there which is desperate to get her...

Means nothing on glasto but there will be a festival on this tour.

1 hour ago, NoBuses said:

Wembley ?

Doubt Wembley will be confirming any concerts for most of next summer yet.

Their main priority is hosting multiple games in the rescheduled Euro 2020 - currently the tournament is pencilled in for June+July, but depending on when various leagues restart (and can finish), there's a decent chance it slips into August.

Edited by incident

3 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Which festival? You're not counting something like BST Hyde Park are you?

Nope Coachella. They’ve been offering her slots since 2015 and I think this might be the year they get her.

Also - Adele is a massive bullshitter. Not in a mean way but she says a lot of stuff around touring and she doesn’t really mean what she says. She said she was never touring again after 25 and only do the odd thing, but that is already confirmed bullshit.

I spoke to her manager a few hours before her glasto set and apparently this her having stage fright thing is something she plays up to a bit.

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, incident said:

Doubt Wembley will be confirming any concerts for next summer yet.

Their main priority is hosting multiple games in the rescheduled Euro 2020 - currently the tournament is pencilled in for June+July, but depending on when various leagues restart (and can finish), there's a decent chance it slips into August.

I've never been to Glastonbury when euros are on. Am I right in thinking they show the games on a big screen at the festival? 

5 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

I've never been to Glastonbury when euros are on. Am I right in thinking they show the games on a big screen at the festival? 

Hopefully not. They didn't last show anything last time (and announced that policy in advance) so with any luck that precedent will hold. I think the last time they did show anything was 2010 and most people would agree that was a mistake.

As it stands, the Euro 2020 schedule means that England are unlikely to play on one of the Festival days anyway (would be the Tuesday before and the Monday after). Who knows what happens if the schedule changes.

Just now, incident said:

Hopefully not. They didn't last show anything last time (and announced that policy in advance) so with any luck that precedent will hold. I think the last time they did show anything was 2010 and most people would agree that was a mistake.

As it stands, the Euro 2020 schedule means that England are unlikely to play on one of the Festival days anyway (would be the Tuesday before and the Monday after). Who knows what happens if the schedule changes.

I went to see QOTSA at Eden project on the same night England played Columbia in the world cup. The game was shown on big screens there, England won on penalties just as the band started playing. Was one of the best nights of my life. Wont ever happen again though (england winning on penalties that is.. )

I loved watching the England game on the Wednesday in 2010. Having them show it on the Sunday as well kept everywhere else not so busy as well. 

Tried watching the England game in a pub on the Tuesday coz I was in a campervan, but it was to no avail. 

4 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

I went to see QOTSA at Eden project on the same night England played Columbia in the world cup. The game was shown on big screens there, England won on penalties just as the band started playing. Was one of the best nights of my life. Wont ever happen again though (england winning on penalties that is.. )

Ahah I went to go and see Oh Sees the night we were kicked out. They did the same thing, it was surreal. Meant no time to get upset about it which was nice

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, incident said:

They deffo showed some football in 2019 though. Maybe it was the Women’s World Cup? 

I was chilling in the peace garden and I could hear the pyramid or other stage (can’t remember) cheer as someone scored. 

6 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

They deffo showed some football in 2019 though. Maybe it was the Women’s World Cup? 

I was chilling in the peace garden and I could hear the pyramid or other stage (can’t remember) cheer as someone scored. 

It was ... west holts I think 

6 hours ago, kemosabe said:

Yeah it was the women's world cup quarter final. I think there's a recent history of showing big matches if it doesn't fall on one of the 3 main days. 

Quick search shows that they actually rarely coincide but they show it when it does more often than not.

2019: women's quarter final- west holts

2016 euros none, announced in advance

2014  world cup, none planned. https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/potential-england-world-cup-match-wont-be-screened-at-glastonbury-2014/

2010: world cup group game Wednesday, planned last 16 not on the pyramid,   https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/the-world-cup-at-glastonbury/

2004: quarter final, pyramid.

2002: world cup final 2nd half shown: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/2076951.stm

Edit: Just realised that the next possible men's tournament that could clash with the festival is 2026 (depending on the fallow year now). So football haters don't have to worry too much! 

Edited by Leyrulion

At a family gathering at Christmas my uncle who is VERY close to the Healy family having acted with Tim Healy for many years (vague name drop alert!) Said that The 1975 had been offered a headline slot for 2021. How this year's events may impact on next year's lineup remains to be seen, but he had absolutely no reason to bullshit me with that info and I have no reason to doubt it as its as close to the "horses mouth" as it can get based on how close he is to the family. 

3 hours ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

At a family gathering at Christmas my uncle who is VERY close to the Healy family having acted with Tim Healy for many years (vague name drop alert!) Said that The 1975 had been offered a headline slot for 2021. How this year's events may impact on next year's lineup remains to be seen, but he had absolutely no reason to bullshit me with that info and I have no reason to doubt it as its as close to the "horses mouth" as it can get based on how close he is to the family. 

Oh dear

19 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Would be interesting to see who the third headliner would've been next year to balance out the boabies-with-guitars factor of the 1975 and AM. Gaga maybe?

I'm not at all surprised about The 1975 originally being booked to headline next year as they were clearly next in line in terms of new headliners and now seems like their time, but I don't see both them and AM being booked in the same year for the reason you've given there, so maybe AM were doing their own shows next year and Glastonbury the year after? Just seems like such an uninspired pairing, especially coming after this years trio.

edit: although saying that I'm sure those two + Gaga/a female headliner/something a bit different would be enough to stop it looking too mundane at the top of the lineup.

Edited by FloorFiller

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I'm not at all surprised about The 1975 originally being booked to headline next year as they were clearly next in line in terms of new headliners and now seems like their time, but I don't see both them and AM being booked in the same year for the reason you've given there, so maybe AM were doing their own shows next year and Glastonbury the year after? Just seems like such an uninspired pairing, especially coming after this years trio.

I dunno man, obviously the 'men-with-guitars' thing is a bit of a simplification but if you look at the last few years:

The Cure & The Killers

Radiohead & The Foos

Muse & Coldplay 

(should've been) The Foos & The Who

Arcade Fire & Kasabian (with Metallica thrown in for good measure). 

So I don't think having the 1975 & AM in the same year would look so out of place, particularly given the mainstream pop crossover of the 1975