2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

Just now, D-Low said:

With the 2021 line-up already being considered prior to this year's being cancelled, and then a lot of this year's being rolled over to next year, what's the chances of the festival putting on more music on Thursday to retain more of 2020 and 2021's acts? Would 4 full days-worth be feasible? Or is it a licensing issue?

Licensing issue

5 minutes ago, ghandi said:

Why not we've had Sheeran and Mumfords ffs. I think they've earned it. 

I don't think Glastonbury is in the business of giving an older band who have played repeatedly and never broken through to a headline level top billing just because they're good sports. Elbow have been bigger than they are currently and they still didn't headline. 

Best slot for them would be doing the legend slot in 10-15 years time.

2 minutes ago, D-Low said:

With the 2021 line-up already being considered prior to this year's being cancelled, and then a lot of this year's being rolled over to next year, what's the chances of the festival putting on more music on Thursday to retain more of 2020 and 2021's acts? Would 4 full days-worth be feasible? Or is it a licensing issue?

Licencing issue, and also I don't imagine they're in the financial position to have an extra day of bands, unless loads are willing to do it for a favour (Coldplay obviously spring to mind).

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

To headline? No chance. Looks like they were third down the Pyramid this year so they’re already on the decline. Remember them being one of the first strong headliner rumours of 2014 immediately after the 2013 festival had finished (along with The Eagles and... another(?) and the sigh of relief across the board when they just subbed instead.

It was Elbow, Fleetwood Mac and Depeche Mode. I remember because of Neil's supreme one-two of article titles 'blasphemous rumours & more rumours of Fleetwood Mac' and 'does Glastonbury know its arse from its elbow?.

That would have been a ballsy trio. I think at that point Elbow wouldn't have been horribly out of place as a bump up, but there were obviously better options in the end.

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It was Elbow, Fleetwood Mac and Depeche Mode. I remember because of Neil's supreme one-two of article titles 'blasphemous rumours & more rumours of Fleetwood Mac' and 'does Glastonbury know its arse from its elbow?.

That would have been a ballsy trio. I think at that point Elbow wouldn't have been horribly out of place as a bump up, but there were obviously better options in the end.

Fleetwood Mac and Depeche Mode would have been two great headliners in one year. I reckon someone very modern amongst a bunch of that would be great.

A trio of

Dua Lipa  //  Fleetwood Mac  // Depeche Mode

would be great.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

He was in the middle of the Pyramid Stage bill. There's a good (brief) story of Nick Cave's first time meeting him there where Bob rows up to him backstage on a boat (wet year) and says "I like your stuff" and rows away.

So he was.

Fuck knows how I got it into my head that he was on the Acoustic.

When Emily Eavis was on radio 1 the other day she was asked if Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys or ABBA would be playing in 2021. She dismissed Coldplay and ABBA as not being there, but didnt even mention Arctic Monkeys. Might not mean anything just haven't seen anyone else mention it. 

6 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

When Emily Eavis was on radio 1 the other day she was asked if Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys or ABBA would be playing in 2021. She dismissed Coldplay and ABBA as not being there, but didnt even mention Arctic Monkeys. Might not mean anything just haven't seen anyone else mention it. 

Interesting dodge!

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I know for some it would be a huge result and probably be widely hailed as an improvement, fucking hell would AM replacing any of this years headliners be a huge downgrade. 

Indeed. A very uninspiring replacement.

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

Indeed. A very uninspiring replacement.

They haven't played since 2013, haven't played much, I dont think it is uninspiring. They are a band that propounded me and my mates friendship so to see them headline the pyramid will be a dream. It is white men with guitars but 2013 was a brilliant set and would be the ideal replacement for Kenny and Taylor who I wanted badly. 

• Upvote 1

Arctics doing it again is like having Michael Gove as PM.

It's inevitably going to be a fuck up of world-beating proportions, but given it's going to happen whether we like it or not we may as well grit our teeth and get it over with. 

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

1 minute ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

They haven't played since 2013, haven't played much, I dont think it is uninspiring. They are a band that propounded me and my mates friendship so to see them headline the pyramid will be a dream. It is white men with guitars but 2013 was a brilliant set and would be the ideal replacement for Kenny and Taylor who I wanted badly. 

I love the AM, and have seen them deliver some absolutely quality sets to their own crowds. Earls Court and The O2 have both been fantastic and memorable gigs. Glastonbury 2013 however died on it's arse and I was in the pit area. It really was a fine example of a set that looked better on TV than in person. 

4 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

They can replace Macca if he's not back, but I'd want something non-rock as a replacement for Taylor or Kendrick, hence uninspiring. The headliners for 2020 were spot on because you had such a wide range of music and styles represented. I'd really want to see that carry on next year and beyond.

Just now, jparx said:

They can replace Macca if he's not back, but I'd want something non-rock as a replacement for Taylor or Kendrick, hence uninspiring. The headliners for 2020 were spot on because you had such a wide range of music and styles represented. I'd really want to see that carry on next year and beyond.

True. I'm currently thinking:

Billie Eilish // Macca // Arctic Monkeys

Always fun speculating and commenting on headliners but with all the alternatives that are on offer on other stages it has never really bothered me who is grabbing the festival headlines in the press. One must see headliner is usually enough for me. I also reckon quite a few bands who might insist on headlining elsewhere are quite happy to sub at Glastonbury.  

11 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Billie Eilish ain’t headlining Glastonbury 2021 fellas.

Well she was doing a festival headline tour in 2020. If she reschedules and Taylor doesn't, seems an obvious replacement to me.