2021 Headliners

Just now, Gilgamesh69 said:

I reckon they'll get shifted up to headliner if someone pulls out and they can't get a decent replacement

Its an option but if Arctics are playing Sheffield dates early June then they are an easy choice. As I said before I wouldn't mind if Mumfords do it if Thom Yorkes playing Friday. An evening at West Holts with B Bar listening to Thom would be delightful.

15 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Ken said that he never tours in June as it is as he is usually busy with private commitments, and his 2020 June tour was planned pretty late on. 

It sounds weird and random but it stacks up. Also I’ve learnt to totally believe Ken on anything he says because he’s usually bang on correct. Even if it sounds dumb.

Doesn't stack up in any way though. A quick google says his birthday is June 17th - and that he played Firefly festival on June 17th 2018 as part of a big tour. He also played reasonably close to the 17th (less than a week either side) in 2012, 13, 14, and 15 including a couple of Bonnaroo slots. Couldn't be arsed to check back any further than that..

1 minute ago, incident said:

Doesn't stack up in any way though. A quick google says his birthday is June 17th - and that he played Firefly festival on June 17th 2018 as part of a big tour. He also played reasonably close to the 17th (less than a week either side) in 2012, 13, 14, and 15 including a couple of Bonnaroo slots. Couldn't be arsed to check back any further than that..

Ken never mentioned his birthday was related, that was a educated guess from Matt

1 minute ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Ken never mentioned his birthday was related, that was a educated guess from Matt

Regardless of the birthday thing, the claim that he never tours in June still doesn't hold any water - over the past 8 years, he's done so multiple times.

25 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Ken said that he never tours in June as it is as he is usually busy with private commitments, and his 2020 June tour was planned pretty late on. 

Yes, but Ken never, ever said anything about his birthday being one of these commitments. Don't know who made up that part. 😆

Just watching Flo's set from 2015. I think it's time for them to return next year if we're looking at new headliner and there's new material. Light of Love was one of the strongest singles for a while and they absolutely deserve proper headliner billing imo. I'd typically lean towards new headliners, but Flo is someone I'd personally love to have back.

It's hard to tell, though, if the momentum has stalled or if it's just that gap between records. Hopefully the new record is big and they're in the frame.

9 minutes ago, incident said:

These shows are in the US though. Not international shows.

either way it could be rubbish but I’m trying to understand why Kendrick isn’t rescheduling. There must be a good reason. I know it isn’t set in stone yet but it looks more likely that he isn’t rescheduling, so I want to try and work out why. It could be for a very disappointing reason.

Just now, jparx said:

Just watching Flo's set from 2015. I think it's time for them to return next year if we're looking at new headliner and there's new material. Light of Love was one of the strongest singles for a while and they absolutely deserve proper headliner billing imo. I'd typically lean towards new headliners, but Flo is someone I'd personally love to have back.

It's hard to tell, though, if the momentum has stalled or if it's just that gap between records. Hopefully the new record is big and they're in the frame.

I'm pretty sure I made a prediction on here a couple years ago that Flo would be back in 2021.

I'd still stand by that, if not for the cancellation this year.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

I think she could return and headline the other stage... personally.

39 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It sounds weird and random but it stacks up. Also I’ve learnt to totally believe Ken on anything he says because he’s usually bang on correct. Even if it sounds dumb.

though I agree the source has a sense of reliability (and entirely understand you’re relating into Matt so this is in no way aimed at you) but that sounds laughable, any news going forwards from Ken shouldn’t be taken seriously if he is coming out with this.

Please take into consideration that the orthodox method of touring and playing festivals whilst you’re in the country will probably be going in the bin next year to compensate for the pandemic (this doesn’t mean I’m saying everyone will follow suit).

Kendrick Lamar and Taylor Swift have been picked to headline Glastonbury. Kendrick Lamar and Taylor Swift have never headlined this prestigious festival (let alone on its 50th bday!) and they both have new material in the pipeline. Neither have toured since early 2018 in the UK.

Another thing to bare in mind is the human framework supporting these huge artists and the level of experience and intelligence these people have. Glastonbury 50 is a BIG DEAL for both artists and these people know it.

if the ball is in the artists court, I would appreciate it if someone could give me a coherent reason WHY they wouldn’t play next year? Does anyone else think we should be more worried about Emily doing a void on this year and not giving headliners the chance to carry over (but we’ve heard from today regarding Macca that there is some expectation he could return)?

I’m very positive about Kendrick and Taylor returning (everything I’ve said is opinion, feel free to tell me to shut up if you disagree!)

Edited by PolygonWindow
Typo
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jparx said:

I think their momentum has stalled somewhat, High As Hope didn't seem quite as big as the previous albums, but I still think they're big enough to headline. Glastonbury won't always be able to book huge headliners and I think Florence and the Machine fit in with the likes of Kasabian and Mumford & Sons, in that they're acts who've headlined in the past decade who probably aren't the first choice acts each year but they're solid options for years where there aren't three huge headliners available. With the festival aiming for a 50/50 gender balance going forward booking Florence to headline again would be a good way of promoting that too.

17 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

Yeah, I've always preferred the years where they've only booked two headliners. Three is overkill. 😜

Touché..... 

I can never remember the Friday night anyway so there’s only ever 2 in my mind

17 minutes ago, PolygonWindow said:

though I agree the source has a sense of reliability (and entirely understand you’re relating into Matt so this is in no way aimed at you) but that sounds laughable, any news going forwards from Ken shouldn’t be taken seriously if he is coming out with this.

Please take into consideration that the orthodox method of touring and playing festivals whilst you’re in the country will probably be going in the bin next year to compensate for the pandemic (this doesn’t mean I’m saying everyone will follow suit).

Kendrick Lamar and Taylor Swift have been picked to headline Glastonbury. Kendrick Lamar and Taylor Swift have never headlined this prestigious festival (let alone on its 50th bday!) and they both have new material in the pipeline. Neither have toured since early 2018 in the UK.

Another thing to bare in mind is the human framework supporting these huge artists and the level of experience and intelligence these people have. Glastonbury 50 is a BIG DEAL for both artists and these people know it.

if the ball is in the artists court, I would appreciate it if someone could give me a coherent reason WHY they wouldn’t play next year? Does anyone else think we should be more worried about Emily doing a void on this year and not giving headliners the chance to carry over (but we’ve heard from today regarding Macca that there is some expectation he could return)?

I’m very positive about Kendrick and Taylor returning (everything I’ve said is opinion, feel free to tell me to shut up if you disagree!)

Completely valid points and I would agree with you in any sense but there is some info to be believed that both Taylor and Kendrick are not coming back. Things can easily change but it seems like they have not rescheduled their European dates. If they haven’t there has to be a reason why and I doubt it would be because they had 2021 already signed up.

• Upvote 1

May be a good time to mention that earlier in the week someone relatively close to AM said the new stuff is 'closer than we think' and there was a few pictures doing the rounds of Alex outside a studio in London.

Wouldn't surprise me if they were one of the 'agreed' headliners for 2021 and will be first reserve if any of the 2020 lot can't do it, or 2022 should they all return. It's a case of when they headline again, not if

Edited by mufcok

4 minutes ago, mufcok said:

May be a good time to mention that earlier in the week someone relatively close to AM said the new stuff is 'closer than we think' and there was a few pictures doing the rounds of Alex outside a studio in London.

Wouldn't surprise me if they were one of the 'agreed' headliners for 2021 and will be first reserve if any of the 2020 lot can't do it, or 2022 should they all return. It's a case of when they headline again, not if

I’m not totally convinced about Am because they can easily play U.K. shows and not do Glasto. They’ve done it before.

I think there’s a good chance, but them doing shows isn’t really an indication for me yet. I’d need to see something else to link them to the festival. Maybe some off quote that they’d love to come back or the festival would love them back.

5 minutes ago, mufcok said:

I'd bet my house on them being one of, if not THE band on Emily's mind when she mentioned acts pencilled in for 2021.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m not totally convinced about Am because they can easily play U.K. shows and not do Glasto. They’ve done it before.

I think there’s a good chance, but them doing shows isn’t really an indication for me yet. I’d need to see something else to link them to the festival. Maybe some off quote that they’d love to come back or the festival would love them back.

True, I get the impression it means a lot to them though and they'd really want to do it again. Don't think it's just 'another gig' to them, time will tell I guess