2021 Headliners

2 hours ago, jparx said:

Hey I thought the Muse booking was the most uninspired the festival has ever done! Shouldn’t be used as a justification for repeat bookings, if anything it’s evidence to the contrary.

Don’t get me wrong I completely agree that it was a completely uninspired booking, I was more saying that the festival would consider booking AM given what they did by rebooking Muse in 2016

30 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I would like to think that but it’s just because I yearn for the festival to pick more daring headline acts than safe and reliable ones. The only thing I can find of Emily saying something was in response to them saying they’d like to headline 2020 that it’s “interesting. We’d love to have them” but nothing substantial.

Don’t people usually bin off the idea of acts headlining on their second summer of an album tour? There just isn’t really anything that’s pushing The 1975 as a headliner to me except for the thing that they’re the next new band in line, but so many older bands are willing to play and they clearly don’t owe it to new headline bands to give opportunities out (see Biffy, Foals).

I mean they just released an album and they have 2021 dates right?

Just a clarification from the RW thread. Ken says the Taylor info is the same we heard a couple months back, so it's not new info that she's not touring Europe, rather there isn't any new info to contrary. Small clarification, but it's more positive than Ken getting fresh info that Taylor still isn't planning on Europe next year.

Edited by jparx
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I mean they just released an album and they have 2021 dates right?

Ok technically next year would be their first summer touring after the album but the initial plan was only their own Finsbury Park show and Boardmasters, for the follow up album to their big one. Would people have anticipated them coming to headline Glastonbury in 2021 anyway on the tail end of that tour/third consecutive summer of touring? Or that they weren’t in plans at all for this tour but would get a call up next year after dropouts?

Edited by dentalplan

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Still don't rule out the possibility of Taylor doing Glastonbury as one of a very small of shows in Europe, but obviously the "it's still good, it's still good" meme applies massively.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Nick Aldous said:

Hi all, apologies if this has already been brought up but what’s the general gist on the headliners from this year? I’ve heard kendrick and taylor aren’t touring Europe in 2021

?

Thats what we have heard, we are speculating who could fill the void, the consensus is Gaga, 1975, Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian I suppose and names that are above. Shame but interesting to see what happens.

9 minutes ago, Nick Aldous said:

Hi all, apologies if this has already been brought up but what’s the general gist on the headliners from this year? I’ve heard kendrick and taylor aren’t touring Europe in 2021

?

Not really sure yet. One source saying Kendrick and Taylor not around next year. No info on anything else really, other than festivals are obviously looking to rebook their 2020 lineups. I think we're still a couple months away from having a clearer picture on this and the info we have on the above could change over time. At the moment I'd guess:

The 1975 / McCartney / Lady Gaga

We know '75 and Gaga are about, and Macca was only around this year to do Glastonbury so i still think he's a good bet.

On 3/27/2020 at 1:22 PM, Mattymooz said:

Obviously its impossible to guess this far into the future but why not, feel like its quite hard to juggle all the "newer" pop/rap acts that seem like they should be nailed for headline slots over the next few years (Swift, Kendrick, Gaga, Dua, Ezra, 1975, Dave etc.) whilst still keeping enough of the landfill bands and heritage acts coming through (e.g. I cant see them missing Muse for this long tbh).

Still reckon Swift and Kendrick will opt to wait for their next albums too and opt to just go ahead and do the more lucrative & fan-pleasing stadium tours next year.

2021: Arctic Monkeys // Paul McCartney // Lady Gaga

2022: The 1975 // Fleetwood Mac // Taylor Swift

2023: Dua Lipa // Kendrick Lamar // Coldplay

I still reckon this guess could be on the money...

5 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Thats what we have heard, we are speculating who could fill the void, the consensus is Gaga, 1975, Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian I suppose and names that are above. Shame but interesting to see what happens.

I don’t think Shame are big enough to headline.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah Macca is what I’m hoping for, arctic monkeys would be fucking fantastic too, but sadly no sign of activity. 1975 would be good but that new album is dreadful, even for them. Kasabian, I’m not bothered about 

Edited by Nick Aldous
Typo

On 3/27/2020 at 1:22 PM, Mattymooz said:

Obviously its impossible to guess this far into the future but why not, feel like its quite hard to juggle all the "newer" pop/rap acts that seem like they should be nailed for headline slots over the next few years (Swift, Kendrick, Gaga, Dua, Ezra, 1975, Dave etc.) whilst still keeping enough of the landfill bands and heritage acts coming through (e.g. I cant see them missing Muse for this long tbh).

Still reckon Swift and Kendrick will opt to wait for their next albums too and opt to just go ahead and do the more lucrative & fan-pleasing stadium tours next year.

2021: Arctic Monkeys // Paul McCartney // Lady Gaga

2022: The 1975 // Fleetwood Mac // Taylor Swift

2023: Dua Lipa // Kendrick Lamar // Coldplay

This is potentially my dream, realistic, line up. I would fucking implode. I don't usually spend more than one night at the Pymild but I'd have to make an exception here. Foq

Ken's latest comment on Kendrick is interesting. Seems Kendrick wasn't planning on touring Europe until September/October last year, and he's saying things can change very fast with him. So I guess not totally out of the picture yet.

I think it depends if Glastonbury are willing to give Kendrick and Taylor plenty of time to decide. Most other festivals seem to be acting quickly and booking replacements. If Glastonbury take the attitude of "give it the summer to see where things stand" then we could still be on, since it seems the case that both are wanting to wait until it's more certain tours will go ahead in 2021.

Edited by jparx

16 minutes ago, jparx said:

Ken's latest comment on Kendrick is interesting. Seems Kendrick wasn't planning on touring Europe until September/October last year, and he's saying things can change very fast with him. So I guess not totally out of the picture yet.

I think it depends if Glastonbury are willing to give Kendrick and Taylor plenty of time to decide. Most other festivals seem to be acting quickly and booking replacements. If Glastonbury take the attitude of "give it the summer to see where things stand" then we could still be on, since it seems the case that both are wanting to wait until it's more certain tours will go ahead in 2021.

That is good but if, as you say, their outlook is to wait on it and for other festivals it is the opposite; if they have no festivals or outdoor venues to make a Euro trip worthwhile then chances are they will stay home.

14 minutes ago, jparx said:

Interesting that he says there was no real indication of Kendrick touring in 2020 until September/October when he decided he wanted to do a load of festivals. Makes me wonder who (if anybody) Glastonbury had lined up before then. What with no sign of Kendricks album just yet I hope it's just a case of him making sure he's got it finished before he agrees to a bunch of festivals again.

29 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

That is good but if, as you say, their outlook is to wait on it and for other festivals it is the opposite; if they have no festivals or outdoor venues to make a Euro trip worthwhile then chances are they will stay home.

Absolutely. I guess for the UK at least BST could still be an option as well since they don't seem to be releasing anything for a while, but looks like the other European festivals may not be waiting around.

29 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Interesting that he says there was no real indication of Kendrick touring in 2020 until September/October when he decided he wanted to do a load of festivals. Makes me wonder who (if anybody) Glastonbury had lined up before then. What with no sign of Kendricks album just yet I hope it's just a case of him making sure he's got it finished before he agrees to a bunch of festivals again.

Yep my thought as well. Sounds like Macca was confirmed late as well, so you're possibly talking about only having Taylor in the bag heading in to the Autumn, then they pull out an all time legendary set of headliners. Crazy.