2021 Headliners

Right humour me on this.

All of the headliner suggestions so far are pretty good. We are expecting that next year will be a very strong touring year but there is already evidence that a lot of big players are not on the market.

What would be a disappointing but realistic trio? I’m only worried we might need to manage expectations if Glasto don’t have millions of options...

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Right humour me on this.

All of the headliner suggestions so far are pretty good. We are expecting that next year will be a very strong touring year but there is already evidence that a lot of big players are not on the market.

What would be a disappointing but realistic trio? I’m only worried we might need to manage expectations if Glasto don’t have millions of options...

Subjective init, but:

Kings of Leon / Arctic Monkeys / RHCP

Just now, Matt42 said:

Right humour me on this.

1975  / Paul / Billie Eilish 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Right humour me on this.

Kasabian will be about and I’d say folk championing a 1975 headline slot over one of theirs are perhaps too hopeful.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

The 1975 will get the call before they rebook Kasbian imo.

Kasabian are a reliable head and put on a good show. It’s uninspiring but as a band who’ve headline every festival since their last outing, they clearly won’t upset the applecart as much as The 1975 would.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Worth remembering that 4-5 years is the typical gap between Coldplay sets...

<runs off>

Joking apart, it must be a great position to be in as a festival where you know in a pinch you can call one of the biggest bands on the planet.

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

Hmm I think of the festival had the choice between 75 and Kasabian, they'd go 75. Not a fan but they put on a good show at R+L and I believe Emily expressed an interest in them a few months ago? 

I would like to think that but it’s just because I yearn for the festival to pick more daring headline acts than safe and reliable ones. The only thing I can find of Emily saying something was in response to them saying they’d like to headline 2020 that it’s “interesting. We’d love to have them” but nothing substantial.

Don’t people usually bin off the idea of acts headlining on their second summer of an album tour? There just isn’t really anything that’s pushing The 1975 as a headliner to me except for the thing that they’re the next new band in line, but so many older bands are willing to play and they clearly don’t owe it to new headline bands to give opportunities out (see Biffy, Foals).

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I would like to think that but it’s just because I yearn for the festival to pick more daring headline acts than safe and reliable ones. The only thing I can find of Emily saying something was in response to them saying they’d like to headline 2020 that it’s “interesting. We’d love to have them” but nothing substantial.

Don’t people usually bin off the idea of acts headlining on their second summer of an album tour? There just isn’t really anything that’s pushing The 1975 as a headliner to me except for the thing that they’re the next new band in line, but so many older bands are willing to play and they clearly don’t owe it to new headline bands to give opportunities out (see Biffy, Foals).

Anyway, main point is Kasabian are equipped to headline and could do it again quite easily. Many bands ahead of them in the queue but I don’t think they’re as far down the list as some suggest.

1 minute ago, jyoung said:

If there's no Swift then Gaga is next in line for me. I'm not even a huge fan but It's genuinely astounding that she hasn't yet headlined this thing. 

Seems perfectly placed. Is touring, people are talking about her entire career now rather than her current pop clout so doesn’t have to play that game, big name but not so big that she doesn’t need it, and a noted fan of the festival so would probably reach out to them than wait and see. If we could bet on it I would.

• Upvote 1

Madonna would be a nice surprise but not gonna do much to manage expectations. 
Think 1975 / Arctics / Coldplay is a very safe selection - but can’t see them not having some women at the top table. 

Did we all agree last year the Strokes wouldn’t be up to headlining anymore?

Also a wild shout for Bob Dylan, gearing up with a new release?

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Seems perfectly placed. Is touring, people are talking about her entire career now rather than her current pop clout so doesn’t have to play that game, big name but not so big that she doesn’t need it, and a noted fan of the festival so would probably reach out to them than wait and see. If we could bet on it I would.

Spot on, my friend. Not to mention she has a set full of crowd pleasers and would have the entire crowd in the palm of her hand more so than many of the other would be headliners touted around here could ever even dream of.

53 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Right humour me on this.

Foals/Macca/Muse

Seriously thought, absolutely devastated is Taylor is out