2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Aye. If there's one show on the 2020 tour she will go out of her way to reschedule, it will be Glastonbury. She's also got a track record of doing one off shows with huge production, so that wouldn't an issue either. It's still on, until it's not.

Sure but she still turns a profit at those shows. Glastonbury pays shit all and she’d be doing it at a loss.

If it is confirmed that she’s not doing the other shows then it will have to be the next tour. Doesn’t mean she’s heartless and doesn’t care about the festival - she’d be gutted - but it’ll be for prior scheduling reasons and not losing a heap of cash.

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

But she wouldnt have been doing Glastonbury just for the cash this year either?

Would have been part of a larger tour though. You can absorb one or two shows making a loss if the others are profitable.

Edited by Hugh Jass

16 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

But she wouldnt have been doing Glastonbury just for the cash this year either?

I think Kanye is the only artist I can think of in recent years which genuinely did glastonbury as a one off. 

Everyone else ties it in with a larger tour so the shortfalls for what glastonbury pays gets covered. This is why BST is great because it makes trips for acts like kendrick and taylor lucrative. 

I’m still at the stage where all three are carrying over just because we haven’t seen enough evidence to rule any of them out yet.

The talk from Bilbao about still talking with Kendrick is interesting. On one hand it’s a positive that he hasn’t simply walked away. On the other it’s a little concerning that they are having to renegotiate with his people. Hopefully he hasn’t put his price up.

12 hours ago, Keithy said:

Swifto will be back. KL is probably a risk as for him Glastonbury is 'just another festival'. Macca is hopefully just flipping over to 2021. Reckon he'll make the dates work.

Always thought Gaga was a 2021 headliner and reckon she will step in if a 2020 one drops out.

Macca built a tour to warm up for Glastonbury this year. 

what about Elton or Madonna?

Reckon Elton will pull his December tour so I guess He’ll be a viable option (AGAIN) for next year.  The 1975 are obviously about, Arctic Monkeys supposedly, Lady Gaga will no doubt pull her Spurs dates and move to next year too.  

4 really solid back ups if the 3 arent able to play.  That’s without throwing the likes of KOL and The Strokes names about (people wouldn’t like them I know but they’re big enough to step in).

24 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

True - but she's touring in the spring, so she'll have the band and the show already prepped.

That's the key point. We know she's already touring NA and SA. Glastonbury wouldn't be a one off, but could just be a one off in Europe (or just 1/2 other European shows).

1 minute ago, sisco said:

Reckon Elton will pull his December tour so I guess He’ll be a viable option (AGAIN) for next year.  The 1975 are obviously about, Arctic Monkeys supposedly, Lady Gaga will no doubt pull her Spurs dates and move to next year too.  

4 really solid back ups if the 3 arent able to play.  That’s without throwing the likes of KOL and The Strokes names about (people wouldn’t like them I know but they’re big enough to step in).

Based on a hunch but I have a feeling either Elton isn’t bothered about glasto or glasto aren’t bothered about Elton. It’s been so silent with him and the festival I wonder if he’s not interested in it at all. It wouldn’t surprise me if there was something about the festival which would make him not want to play there.

Ive never seen any evidence that glasto have considered booking Elton John 

Edited by Matt42

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Based on a hunch but I have a feeling either Elton isn’t bothered about glasto or glasto aren’t bothered about Elton. It’s been so silent with him and the festival I wonder if he’s not interested in it at all. It wouldn’t surprise me if there was something about the festival which would make him not want to play there.

Ive never seen any evidence that glasto have considered booking Elton John 

I think you’re right mate (probably more him than them)

Also just to say - I dunno about you lot but I'm finding myself, for the first time, feeling excited about 2021. It kicked it when they announced the Glastonbury 2020 BBC coverage, but now we're almost in June I feel like I can actually look forward to it.

I think end of June will be quite exciting with all the coverage, hopefully a few names get leaked/announced and then the full t-minus 1 year countdown is on.

9 minutes ago, sisco said:

Reg had a US tour this summer so the likelihood is he’ll reschedule that for next summer too.

8 minutes ago, jparx said:

That's the key point. We know she's already touring NA and SA. Glastonbury wouldn't be a one off, but could just be a one off in Europe (or just 1/2 other European shows).

But one would suspect the reason she’s not fulfilling all of the European shows is prior touring commitments. Same for Kendrick Lamar. They do this as a job so why would they just bin these previously agreed shows and decide not to play them the next year unless they couldn’t?

If they’re still holding out on whether to agree or not then that’s not down to how much they heart the festival either, it’ll be whether to financially commit to this thing. Seriously, y’all putting too much thought into the emotions of the artists.

37 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

True - but she's touring in the spring, so she'll have the band and the show already prepped.

Not just about the dancers and inflatable snakes, it’s logistics too fam.

9 minutes ago, jparx said:

Also just to say - I dunno about you lot but I'm finding myself, for the first time, feeling excited about 2021. It kicked it when they announced the Glastonbury 2020 BBC coverage, but now we're almost in June I feel like I can actually look forward to it.

I think end of June will be quite exciting with all the coverage, hopefully a few names get leaked/announced and then the full t-minus 1 year countdown is on.

I agree, I've been watching loads of old festival videos especially from Latitude which I regularly attend and missing it a lot, I know naysayers will cast doubt over next year but in reality we have no clue what's going to happen next week, let alone next year. Thinking about all the festivals makes me happy and gives me something to look forward to so I'm planning to have the summer of virtual gigs of what I've missed out on. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I guess well see when the US datss finish up. If it's in May then the logistics of gettting band and gear to Somerset dont seem insurmountable.

Has Spring been confirmed btw?

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It’s worth remembering that acts that were elsewhere this year will probably be elsewhere next year too.

Yep think there’ll be very few random options about.  The ones we already had plus any who were touring last year like The Strokes, KOL, The 1975, Gaga etc... are the pool we’re probably looking at. 

Arctics may well not come back till 2022 now due to Coronavirus too

Edited by sisco

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think as we all know, with both Taylor and Kenny the key will be BST. If they rebook there we are gravy, if not then we’re in trouble...

Maybe.

But as before, she's twigged that it's not just another gig.  She wasn't living it up with the Eavii and Billy Bragg at the NME Awards without knowing fine well who they are.

47 minutes ago, sisco said:

I think you’re right mate (probably more him than them)

It’s just because there has been ZILCH anywhere with Elton and Glastonbury other than on here. He would be an incredibly popular booking at the festival but there is just always no momentum.

There have been many years now where he has toured locally and not played. I can’t help but think there is a reason - and I think it’s probably him.

I love the bloke but he’s very fussy. There’s probably a deal breaker somewhere we don’t know about.

If Taylor doesn’t rebook bst we are deffo in trouble. I can’t see glasto being her only gig, and it’s not exactly like stadiums are a safe bet for her either.

The competition for stadiums is going to be mad because they will be competing against rescheduled sporting events. I honestly think stadium gigs next year will be very slim.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe.

But as before, she's twigged that it's not just another gig.  She wasn't living it up with the Eavii and Billy Bragg at the NME Awards without knowing fine well who they are.

Again though, Glastonbury was part of a three-week tour of Europe. All the other shows paid much more and subsidised the Glasto slot. If she could rearrange one then she could rearrange them all - no reason why she’d just choose the one and disappoint a million other fans.

If she can’t do Europe summer 2021 then I’m sure she’d be eager to come back for 2022. Doesn’t mean she doesn’t ‘get’ Glastonbury.