2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

So is that Paul McCartney and Taylor Swift both probably not returning?

I wasn’t planning on seeing either of them really, so it’s a positive for me as it opens up two exciting slots! But I do know a lot of people on here will be upset unfortunately!

At least it’ll start a bit more speculation though.

Just going back to Taylor - I can't see her getting her band ready, preparing a live show and all the effort that goes in to it with choreography, rehearsals etc just to do a couple dates in the US and South America next summer. She must be doing some European shows; it's not financially viable to go to all the expense for such a small number of shows. I think it's incredibly likely she's in Europe again next summer, and in which case it would be strange if she didn't do Glastonbury again given she will have been offered the slot.

The thing I keep coming back to is perhaps she's trimming down the tour even more and doing less dates/countries. The source may well be correct that she's not doing all the European festivals again, but I don't personally think that rules out Glastonbury yet.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Don't think that tells us anything.

Yeah he’s done enough one-off big occasions before. And it seemed those dates were booked in after he agreeD to do Glastonbury as they had the opportunity to do more and get some more money  

The dates being renewed would have meant he was 100% in, so it is a blow, but don’t think it’s confirmation he’s out. 

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think new headliners for next year. If they had three in the pipeline already they’ve probably gone with that option, and the 2020 headliners will play the next time they are on tour.

I'm not so sure. The 2021 festivals that have announced already have almost identical lineups. I think it's more likely bands who were looking to tour in 2021 will push back their plans since most festivals seem to be offering the 2020 acts a slot for next year and there simply won't be the available slots.  

If we don't have the same headliners next year, I think it's more likely they will go for backups from acts that were already on the festival scene this year, so yer KoLs, Chilli Peppers etc. rather than the ones they had a handshake agreement with for 2021.

Glastonbury will bust a gut to get the announced headliners to return ... it’s ultimately got to sell those tickets and not dissapoint the people that are intent on that 50th special one ... most festivals have similar lineups from what I’ve seen so why do we think Glastonbury will be so different ? If it hadn’t announced then more variations would be expected 

1 hour ago, jparx said:

I'm not so sure. The 2021 festivals that have announced already have almost identical lineups. I think it's more likely bands who were looking to tour in 2021 will push back their plans since most festivals seem to be offering the 2020 acts a slot for next year and there simply won't be the available slots.  

If we don't have the same headliners next year, I think it's more likely they will go for backups from acts that were already on the festival scene this year, so yer KoLs, Chilli Peppers etc. rather than the ones they had a handshake agreement with for 2021.

European festivals aren’t the only other thing she could be doing. Maybe she had a tour of Asia planned for early Summer 2021 and rather than postpone both she’d rather just do the European festivals next time she’s around. Maybe she’s got some other kind of commitment early Summer next year, maybe she’s making a film or any number of other things that she can’t or doesn’t want to move in order to postpone her 2020 plans.

If Ken’s heard she isn’t coming back in 2021 and will instead play European fests the next time she’s around then that’s obviously the most likely outcome as things stand.

I did find it strange that everyone on here acted like Taylor Swift postponing her US/South American dates until 2021 but saying nothing about her European dates meant she was nailed on to be returning.

Aye I was never expecting McCartney to announce that these dates are now going to be one year later. We know that’s not how he operates. Like, even if we didn’t get confirmation on whether he pulled out in 2019, he kept us waiting until January to find out about added dates in June.

Swift OTOH: if someone who knows about Werchter bookings says she ain’t back around next summer then I think that includes Glastonbury. Lady Gaga seems like a good bet to step in, or Fleetwood Mac if let’s say they’d already provisionally agreed to 2021.

14 minutes ago, IYKYK said:

European festivals aren’t the only other thing she could be doing. Maybe she had a tour of Asia planned for early Summer 2021 and rather than postpone both she’d rather just do the European festivals next time she’s around. Maybe she’s got some other kind of commitment early Summer next year, maybe she’s making a film or any number of other things that she can’t or doesn’t want to move in order to postpone her 2020 plans.

If Ken’s heard she isn’t coming back in 2021 and will instead play European fests the next time she’s around then that’s obviously the most likely outcome as things stand.

I did find it strange that everyone on here acted like Taylor Swift postponing her US/South American dates until 2021 but saying nothing about her European dates meant she was nailed on to be returning.

I think you quoted the wrong post. But yeah, maybe. Still think she will be doing some form of UK show though if she's rearranging the US and SA dates. Might be something different mind, maybe later in the summer or something.

We'll have a clearer picture Wednesday with BST anyway.

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Aye I was never expecting McCartney to announce that these dates are now going to be one year later. We know that’s not how he operates. Like, even if we didn’t get confirmation on whether he pulled out in 2019, he kept us waiting until January to find out about added dates in June.

Swift OTOH: if someone who knows about Werchter bookings says she ain’t back around next summer then I think that includes Glastonbury. Lady Gaga seems like a good bet to step in, or Fleetwood Mac if let’s say they’d already provisionally agreed to 2021.

I think Macca will be back, just a feeling but I imagine him to be the sort of guy who would consider it bad form not to honour his commitment to play... at least now it had been made public anyway.

If Ken is right on Taylor, then it could be promising news for Kendrick. Or, at least, he hasn't heard explicitly that Kendrick isn't around next summer.

If Taylor ends up being ruled out, I'd be utterly devastated honestly, but if we somehow ended up with Gaga instead I'd be very pleased with the outcome all things considered. It would still be an all time trio.