2021 Headliners

On 4/20/2020 at 3:42 PM, Homer said:

Would people still attend... EVEN if the headliners were arcade fire, the strokes and Foals?!

That would be a little too "Indie" for some people's tastes and Glastonbury likes to mix it up for headliners so some would be disappointed.

But never mind what they think. Personally I think that'd be fantastic! ;) 

On 4/19/2020 at 10:53 PM, Matt42 said:

Unpopular opinion but the ship has sailed for Lady Gaga headlining Glastonbury (personally, for me).

I'd probably go and see her if it happened but it just feels like it should have happened too many times by now. There has to be a reason she hasn't come back since 2009. It almost feels like she's been absent from the festival the whole time she's been a big deal.

I think you could say something similar about the killers though. Both still huge acts but both not as huge as they were 10 years ago especially in this country

38 minutes ago, jow95 said:

I think you could say something similar about the killers though. Both still huge acts but both not as huge as they were 10 years ago especially in this country

I strongly disagree but that’s because I’m a pedantic fucker. This is how I see it.

The Killers are just an easy festival booking. Hence why they play so many. You book them, they fill a field, they have lots of singalongs, they do the job. Remember Glasto booked them for 2019 because they lost a headliner. They are a swift, safe, and easy choice. I don’t think their booking is really anything to do with relevancy.

The reason why in my mind the ship has sailed with Gaga headlining Glastonbury is because there’s been too many “good times” to book her and it just hasn’t happened. It makes me wonder whether Glasto HQ are really bothered with her or whether Gaga is really that bothered with Glastonbury. She’s not a killers style booking at all.

Over the past 10 years since she played she hasn’t returned.

2009 - She played just as she was blowing up. Was a great time to book her.

2011 - She released her most commercially successful album and was arguably the biggest star in the world. She wasn’t booked.

2012 - No festival.

2013 - She released the follow up album to her biggest album (critical reception aside). She wasn’t booked. Her hip injury doesn’t really matter as it’s clear she wasn’t in the frame for 2013 at all.

2014 - Touring an album and she wasn’t booked.

2015 - She toured Cheek to Cheek which probably counted her out of Glastonbury.

2016 - No touring.

2017 - Promoting a new album. Headlined Coachella. Did a world tour. They didn’t book her.

2018 - No festival.

2019 - No touring.

2020 - New album, dates in June / July but not booked. Coronavirus aside.

In the past 10 years she’s had a couple of chances to play and not done it. I’d be shocked if Glasto HQ haven’t asked her to headline in the past 10 years. It is clear that her team don’t have Glastonbury in mind as her dates / plans always seem to rule her out or don’t work around Glastonbury.

In my view - she will occupy a legends slot in a far distant future festival but she won’t headline glasto any time soon. I can’t see her having another The Fame / Born This Way / Super Bowl / Star is Born style thrust into mainstream success again. It feels like she’s had too many chances to headline off the back of something successful. 

There's also been a lot of good opportunities to book Taylor, but it took ages to happen. At least Gaga has showed she's willing to play the festival before.

Just feels to me like Gaga's stock is very high at the minute, and we know Emily is on the lookout for female headliners. Who knows why it hasn't happened before, but I remember not too long ago people saying Taylor would never do it because she didn't like festivals.

Anything can happen.

Just now, jparx said:

Just feels to me like Gaga's stock is very high at the minute

It really is. I'd far argue moreso than it was back when she was in the tabloids every 5 minutes.

She may not be the hottest star in the world anymore, but what she has done in the past few years especially with A Star Is Born, is to diversify her appeal and so made herself far more suitable as a Pyramid headliner than she has been previously.

I don't know, but I'd be quite shocked if the Festival hadn't at least had a conversation with her in the past couple years. She'd be a better choice now than she's ever been in the past.

33 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Did people care much about the new song she released? I’m not sure her stock is that high but I think she could still do it, even if it is as a legacy act at this point. 

Her new song was average to say the least - not that memorable at all.  Agree her stock is not as high as it was, but she def has enough bangers to pull off a headline slot and I would love to see it in the next few years

Surely, like The Killers, she's in a bracket of acts that could headline regardless of whether they had new material out/were on a new album cycle, right?

Same with Taylor. But people like Kendrick/1975 probably wouldn't get the call up if they weren't too active at the time of the festival.

Lady Gaga is a truly strange case in wondering why she hasn't been back since '09. I think she gets the vibe (and surely B Cooper and her have chatted frequently about it) so you can't critique her for that. It's not as if she "just played" in '09 either, she truly got into the spirit and did 2 sets with that Club Dada one at about 2 or 3 in the morning. When you think about it now, has there been a 'bigger/commercial' star who has played a full set at a late night venue at about 2am in the morning on the farm like she has, in this century at least? In hindsight I wish I had gone in there and caught that, as I was at The Specials when she did the Other. I wondered back at the outskirts of Dada and 'heard' lots of it, peeked in over the crowds once or twice, but at that hour I was having a good time immersing myself in the muddy covered pathways in Shangri-La. So, I still haven't seen Lady Gaga, but the Club Dada gig would have been one I'd go back now and catch if I could do '09 (best year!) again. 

And she did respond to a Glastonbury-specific question with a "I can't talk about Glastonbury right now" with a bit of suggestive hint that she was in line to play potentially....was that pre-2016 or 17? I just wonder what that was all about (a question to be put to her or to the Eavis')

48 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

And she did respond to a Glastonbury-specific question with a "I can't talk about Glastonbury right now" with a bit of suggestive hint that she was in line to play potentially....was that pre-2016 or 17? I just wonder what that was all about (a question to be put to her or to the Eavis')

To me it sounded more like a “I don’t know, ask my management” kind of response. 

Edited by Matt42

5 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Email from BST saying we will find out the rebooked gigs by 13th May. If Kenny and Taylor are rebooked, it is back on, if not we have different headliners I bet.

Yeah can’t imagine either would rebook for this and not do Glastonbury. A part of me wants one to be missing to add some mystery to next years Glastonbury headliners, but a bigger part really fucking hopes they’re both there.

11 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah can’t imagine either would rebook for this and not do Glastonbury. A part of me wants one to be missing to add some mystery to next years Glastonbury headliners, but a bigger part really fucking hopes they’re both there.

Personally I hope neither are there. I'd love 3 new headliners to get excited about. If they are i'll be somewhere else (as I would of this year)

15 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I feel the same, I really wanted Kenny. I hope more Pearl Jam are back at BST but with regards to Glastonbury a new headliner would be exciting though we would all believe it was Arctics till Neil says some odd booking.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Sod the mystery, just get this year’s three back.