2021 Headliners

9 minutes ago, Padgey said:

That's not unlikely.  I think Swift and Kendrick may have other stuff lined up.

Also M.E. has said in the past they have had future headliners lined up, I know we all take that with a pinch of salt, but if so where does that leave Coldplay's slot for 2021!

Apparently the current lineup have been offered slots next year, and the proposed 2021 headliners were just verbal agreements. I’d bet we get at least one 2020 headliner returning, if not all three.

What brings me back to Taylor is she specifically said she wanted to do a festival tour for Lover. She may change her plans, but I reckon she’ll be back next year.

I'm guessing a lot of discussions will be having had with those penned in 2021 headliners and which of them will be touring in to 2022 and so still available then and which of them is a 'now or never' kind of deal. If they've got another huge name lined up (Madonna, for example) I doubt they're gonna be asking them to wait a year. Acts like The 1975 can easily just be asked to move aside and wait. So fingers crossed, if one of this years doesn't make it, they're at least replaced with a huge deal who the festival has already been in talks with.

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I'm guessing a lot of discussions will be having had with those penned in 2021 headliners and which of them will be touring in to 2022 and so still available then and which of them is a 'now or never' kind of deal. If they've got another huge name lined up (Madonna, for example) I doubt they're gonna be asking them to wait a year. Acts like The 1975 can easily just be asked to move aside and wait. So fingers crossed, if one of this years doesn't make it, they're at least replaced with a huge deal who the festival has already been in talks with.

Maybe Coldplay

30 minutes ago, jparx said:

Apparently the current lineup have been offered slots next year, and the proposed 2021 headliners were just verbal agreements. I’d bet we get at least one 2020 headliner returning, if not all three.

What brings me back to Taylor is she specifically said she wanted to do a festival tour for Lover. She may change her plans, but I reckon she’ll be back next year.

Sincerely hope you're right. A few of the European festivals seem to be clinging on in hope that they'll go forward, but I can't see any of the festivals she's booked in for this year going ahead. Mass cancellations are surely coming. 

12 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Sincerely hope you're right. A few of the European festivals seem to be clinging on in hope that they'll go forward, but I can't see any of the festivals she's booked in for this year going ahead. Mass cancellations are surely coming. 

You'd think so. Have to think Taylor's other shows, e.g. Werchter Boutique, NOS and Mad Cool will be cancelled soon, and we're reaching the point where acts will be pulling their summer tours and possibly forcing the hand of festivals.

23 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah that's a great point.

You've also got to think that if acts were looking to release a new record later this year in anticipation for touring in 2021, those new records will probably be pushed back, which may force them to delay touring plans as well.

Nothing is solid at the moment absolutely everything is floating. Albums may get delayed if it looks like Q4 of 2020 is loaded.

I’m in the boat that the whole of 2021 is up in the air and anything that people were confident on is suddenly re-evaluated. I reckon Taylor will want to honour the festival commitments before jumping straight into a tour. 2021 festivals might be easier to commit to at the moment as well, we don’t know how overloaded the demand for large venues is going to be next year.

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Nothing is solid at the moment absolutely everything is floating. Albums may get delayed if it looks like Q4 of 2020 is loaded.

I’m in the boat that the whole of 2021 is up in the air and anything that people were confident on is suddenly re-evaluated. I reckon Taylor will want to honour the festival commitments before jumping straight into a tour. 2021 festivals might be easier to commit to at the moment as well, we don’t know how overloaded the demand for large venues is going to be next year.

The demand for venues next year is going to be ridiculous. January is usually a dead zone for gigs but we’re already seeing shows rearranged for early Jan because there’s nowhere else to fit them.

Macca is the one they need to get next year.

Kendrick and Taylor will headline at some point.

Whether it’s next year, 2022 or later, both WILL do it. 

But time isn’t on our side with Macca. Can’t have many more touring years left in him so all efforts need to ensure he’s there next year. 

7 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I think at the minute that Arctics, Macca and The 1975 is the most likely.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

The demand for venues next year is going to be ridiculous. January is usually a dead zone for gigs but we’re already seeing shows rearranged for early Jan because there’s nowhere else to fit them.

I also think anything that isn’t signed and sealed is vulnerable to being subbed for a much higher priority. If you’re an act that has a stadium gig pencilled in for next year and you’re not sure if you can sell it out, I’d be shaking in your boots right now. Might not get the gig.

Edited by Matt42

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I don’t think that’s quite true. Yes, acts are rearranging for winter but I would think many acts with dates yet to announce are reconsidering actually embarking on those tours. There’s no safety net, and the ones rescheduling are trying not to lose money.

Could actually stretch into next summer and the flush 2021 roster of acts actually becomes instead rather barren. Who knows?

I reckon the only one that is probably not arsed enough about the festival to bend a touring/recording schedule around it next year is kendrick lamar. Suspect if Taylor and Macca are in the position to play at all then they will. 

Given comments made above about ME possibly having future headliners booked, the only one I can think of is the obvious one, and if god willing they, and macca, all come through this unscathed then I'd take a stab at:

Taylor Swift, Fleetwood Mac, Macca.

Edited by mattiloy
*in no particular order ^

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

I think at the minute that Arctics, Macca and The 1975 is the most likely.

It probably won't happen but, this would be three awesome headliners (for me at least). I feel like if The 1975 were going to play, they would play on the Friday and Arctics would play on the Sunday, could be wrong though.

I'll be really surprised if there's no female headliner given the amount of options available and I also don't see them booking three guitar acts, again given the options available. Not to mention that doesn't seem to be their MO nowadays. The days of a trio like 1975, Arctics and Macca are (probably, and thankfully) behind us. I'm certain we'll have something more interesting and diverse.

It's so hard to predict, especially right now, but Taylor, Macca and Arctic Monkeys feels like a strong shout. And I still think we'll have a very strong indication, if not confirmation, of a couple of the headliners come June/July.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Miyn said:

It probably won't happen but, this would be three awesome headliners (for me at least). I feel like if The 1975 were going to play, they would play on the Friday and Arctics would play on the Sunday, could be wrong though.

I'm just going based on that Arctics for mostly every is a stick on, The 1975 makes a lot of sense, and Macca before he can't. I would expect them to back it up by having at least one Pyramid sub female either way and at least one on Other.

57 minutes ago, jparx said:

I'll be really surprised if there's no female headliner given the amount of options available and I also don't see them booking three guitar acts, again given the options available. Not to mention that doesn't seem to be their MO nowadays. The days of a trio like 1975, Arctics and Macca are (probably, and thankfully) behind us. I'm certain we'll have something more interesting and diverse.

It's so hard to predict, especially right now, but Taylor, Macca and Arctic Monkeys feels like a strong shout. And I still think we'll have a very strong indication, if not confirmation, of a couple of the headliners come June/July.

They had no problem booking guitar bands in the past and no sellout issues either. There doesn't have to be a female headline just because every year though and if Taylor isn't around it's hard to say who unless FATM is about. I'm working on that Taylor may have different plans and unless she plays BST next year then I can't see Glastonbury being on and it's highly likely she was ticking Glastonbury off on the big anniversary as it was close and the same with Kendrick probably being advised even if you aren't that bothered the 50th is the one you want to do but I think the same BST thing will apply.

Macca I feel is a totally different situation.

28 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I'm just going based on that Arctics for mostly every is a stick on, The 1975 makes a lot of sense, and Macca before he can't. I would expect them to back it up by having at least one Pyramid sub female either way and at least one on Other.

They had no problem booking guitar bands in the past and no sellout issues either. There doesn't have to be a female headline just because every year though and if Taylor isn't around it's hard to say who unless FATM is about. I'm working on that Taylor may have different plans and unless she plays BST next year then I can't see Glastonbury being on and it's highly likely she was ticking Glastonbury off on the big anniversary as it was close and the same with Kendrick probably being advised even if you aren't that bothered the 50th is the one you want to do but I think the same BST thing will apply.

Macca I feel is a totally different situation.

Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande, Billie Eilish, Madonna, Beyoncé, Fleetwood Mac, Lizzo to name a few.

6 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande, Billie Eilish, Madonna, Beyoncé, Fleetwood Mac, Lizzo to name a few.

I forgot about Gaga actually. But Ariana I don't see, Billie would need a new album no., and I think she subs. Madonna isn't happening, I think Beyonce is a one time, I don't know if FM will agree the fee and Lizzo is not headlining Glastonbury yet.

28 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I forgot about Gaga actually. But Ariana I don't see, Billie would need a new album no., and I think she subs. Madonna isn't happening, I think Beyonce is a one time, I don't know if FM will agree the fee and Lizzo is not headlining Glastonbury yet.

I think next time Billie plays she headlines. She's basically booked to headline every festival she's playing in Europe this summer and her UK tour sold out quickly at massive venues. I'd assume next time she plays she'll have a new album too. Why would they make a massive female artist sub when she could easily headline. Especially with the 50/50 Glasto are trying to impose. 

3 hours ago, foolee said:

I think next time Billie plays she headlines. She's basically booked to headline every festival she's playing in Europe this summer and her UK tour sold out quickly at massive venues. I'd assume next time she plays she'll have a new album too. Why would they make a massive female artist sub when she could easily headline. Especially with the 50/50 Glasto are trying to impose. 

You are correct it's a big tour and it sold really quick and probably correct they would take the headline option. They had Liam Gallagher thouth who sells out outdoor venues sub so it's not written.

I totally agree with the fact that at least one of the headliner will be a woman 100%.

If Macca cannot make it, it would be perfect to have FM as headliners. Not a downgrade on the legend level, female included, British... 

If we get a different set of headliners I would go for:

Artic Monkeys, Fleetwood Mac, The 1975/LadyGaga

But still, I think at least one will repeat and it's difficult to guess who is most likely now... 

4 hours ago, thewayiam said:

FM have publicly stated they are keen to do it, so I don’t see the fee being too much of an issue. My feeling is that they have an informal “next time we’re touring we’ll do it” arrangement with the Eavii.

38 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

FM have publicly stated they are keen to do it, so I don’t see the fee being too much of an issue. My feeling is that they have an informal “next time we’re touring we’ll do it” arrangement with the Eavii.

I agree, and can’t see it happening next year assuming Neil Finn wants to reschedule the Crowded House dates.

Rubbish sauce but the best teeth in the game is hearing from contacts of his that 2021 tours are being pushed back because they don’t want to compete with the rescheduling that is coming. This could be about literally anyone but it just goes to show how 2021 is probably the hardest year to call in terms of who is going to be around.

Arctic Monkeys are being thrown around because they supposedly have those shows in Sheffield but I reckon they could easily just stick to them instead of headlining Glastonbury again.