2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

Just now, Matt42 said:

Do you think R&L wouldn’t have two rap headliners in the same year? I think it’s guaranteed eventually.

I thought rage would be a booking which would sell out and show that reading can book older rock acts but I think I’m slowly getting proven wrong. They will listen to the feedback twitter give them and what the ticket sales say.

They could, but I think the formula of indie/rap/rock is working quite well for them just now.

Rage will sell out their day, I'm sure of it. It'll sell out quicker than a day normally would at R&L too. The Foos day sold out way before any other last year.

15 hours ago, Sam Y said:

I recon that Dave will sub or headline the other this year and go on to headline in 2022

Dave isn't headlining Other this year.

No way he could be considered pyramid level headliner this year.

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Sorry to have done a bit of stalking, but...

Lol no worries. All about context though. It was actually just in response to loads of previous one line bullshit statements about who or who wouldn't. It was pretty obvious that Stormzy was headlining at that point, hence my throwing him in specifically. With Dave however, I just can't see it. Doesn't have the wave that Stormzy had. 

5 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Lol no worries. All about context though. It was actually just in response to loads of previous one line bullshit statements about who or who wouldn't. It was pretty obvious that Stormzy was headlining at that point, hence my throwing him in specifically. With Dave however, I just can't see it. Doesn't have the wave that Stormzy had. 

I see Dave following an incredibly similar wave to Stormzy tbh. I'd say both of their career's have followed a very similar path. The one difference that I would agree on is Dave doesn't have the same level of showmanship that Stormzy does.

British hip hop is massive right now. I honestly think acts like Dave and Stormzy will become way more commonplace as Glastonbury headliners. 10+ years ago indie rock/post-britpop was all the rage and the headliners reflected that. I don't think Glastonbury will go so overboard booking British hip hop headliners, but the scene is popping just now and many of the biggest up and coming stars are within that genre.

35 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I see Dave following an incredibly similar wave to Stormzy tbh. I'd say both of their career's have followed a very similar path. The one difference that I would agree on is Dave doesn't have the same level of showmanship that Stormzy does.

British hip hop is massive right now. I honestly think acts like Dave and Stormzy will become way more commonplace as Glastonbury headliners. 10+ years ago indie rock/post-britpop was all the rage and the headliners reflected that. I don't think Glastonbury will go so overboard booking British hip hop headliners, but the scene is popping just now and many of the biggest up and coming stars are within that genre.

Don't get me wrong, I can see no reason why he can't headline one day, just feel 2021 will come too soon...

28 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Imma go with Lady Gaga // Fleetwood Mac // Arctic Monkeys

Reckon 1975 will take next year off and headline in 22

I know this sounds like a weird thing to say. But I remember those three being mooted as potential headliners 7 years ago. (For 2013)

I dunno I just feel that time is moving on and the festival is changing — a headline trio that could of headlined 10 ish years ago but feels.. idk... not likely... nowadays. I just feel like the festival will book at least one headliner that is a bit more progressive than that. 

Edited by Matt42

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I know this sounds like a weird thing to say. But I remember those three being mooted as potential headliners 7 years ago. (For 2013)

I dunno I just feel that time is moving on and the festival is changing — a headline trio that could of headlined 10 ish years ago but feels.. idk... not likely... nowadays. I just feel like the festival will book at least one headliner that is a bit more progressive than that. 

Replace Stormzy with Dizzee and you could label that exact criticism at last year’s trio.

26 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I mean I dunno who else would be a better fit that hasn't been around for ~5 years. Billie is more likely for RnL imo, 1975 probs wont be touring, seems a little soon for Ezra to be back imo, don't think Dave is big enough (more likely to sub off next album imo and headliner Wireless/Reading, I could be wrong but he doesnt have the same omnipresence Stormzy had), Dua looks to be playing this year so would be a bit soon to be back, reckon Capaldi has another album before he headlines...

Maybe something like

2021: Gaga // Mac // Arctics

2022: Ezra // Guns N Roses // The 1975

2023: Tame Impala // Lizzo // Elton John

Maybe replace Guns N Roses with some other classic act or a crappy 00's indie band would do too (Kasabian maybe?). Could easily replace Lizzo/Tame Impala with anyone else for 2023 too.

Edited by Mattymooz

On 2/24/2020 at 10:49 AM, SomeoneListeningIn said:

What I will say, is that Dave doesnt have a "Shut Up" that was absolutely huge.

12 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I mean I dunno who else would be a better fit that hasn't been around for ~5 years. Billie is more likely for RnL imo, 1975 probs wont be touring, seems a little soon for Ezra to be back imo, don't think Dave is big enough (more likely to sub off next album imo and headliner Wireless/Reading, I could be wrong but he doesnt have the same omnipresence Stormzy had), Dua looks to be playing this year so would be a bit soon to be back, reckon Capaldi has another album before he headlines...

Maybe something like

2021: Gaga // Mac // Arctics

2022: Ezra // Guns N Roses // The 1975

2023: Tame Impala // Lizzo // Elton John

Maybe replace Guns N Roses with some other classic act or a crappy 00's indie band would do too (Kasabian maybe?). Could easily replace Lizzo/Tame Impala with anyone else for 2023 too.

I don't think Tame Impala will ever headline personally and I love them. 

Billie will headline within the next 2 years, either of the back of her next album or on the run up to her third. I really wouldn't be surprised to see her next year if her album is out. 

Coldplay will also play one of those years and Eltons last (last, last) tour is coming to an end next year so I doubt he'll still be around and touring 2 years after.

2021: Billie/Arctics/Elton John
2022: Geroge Ezra/1975/Lady Gaga 
2023 could be anyone as no one in 2016 would of predicted Stormzy to headline 2019. 

Just now, chazwwe said:

I don't think Tame Impala will ever headline personally and I love them. 

Honestly thought they were a lot bigger than they apparently are, after looking at their first week sales for their new album it debuted with about 3000 less than Foals last one did (who I also think are too small). Was looking for a suitable modern rock group to balance out the 2 more poppier acts in Elton and Lizzo.

Just now, chazwwe said:

Billie will headline within the next 2 years, either of the back of her next album or on the run up to her third. I really wouldn't be surprised to see her next year if her album is out. 

She could do, but I think shed get a bigger reception and pay day from doing R+L. Considering she is doing early summer eu fests this year I reckon she'll be onto the late EU summer fests next year. Oya, Flow, Sziget, Pukkelpop, R+L etc.

11 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Coldplay will also play one of those years

Reckon they will probably show up this year in some capacity and then want to give it a break considering how frequently they have played (same deal with Muse, though they could also easily turn up in 23)

12 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Eltons last (last, last) tour is coming to an end next year so I doubt he'll still be around and touring 2 years after.

He has said he is stopping extended touring but will still do big one off shows. Reckon Glasto will probably be one if Emily ever gives him a call

13 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

2021: Billie/Arctics/Elton John
2022: Geroge Ezra/1975/Lady Gaga 

As Gaga has a new album out later this year I dont see her waiting nearly 2 years to do Glasto personally.

14 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

2023 could be anyone as no one in 2016 would of predicted Stormzy to headline 2019. 

I mean the majority of people didnt predict it in 2018, but that spoils the fun if we say no predictions in advance!