2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

6 minutes ago, StevieGed said:

I remember discovering him when listening to Take Care by Drake in 2011 and thinking there’s definitely something special about him. Without sounding like a righteous twat his earlier house of balloons trilogy stuff is above and beyond everything else that followed. He then had a public falling out with Drake and went on into the pop world and done pretty well but now just seems to churn out top 10 stuff which strayed away from his earlier work.

I remember hearing his cover of dirty Diana and thinking he could be the next big thing. He’s huge still but don’t think he’s a typical Glasto headliner. Similar to Frank Ocean at the minute in stature and repertoire I’d say.  

Frank > Weeknd tho.

Those first few mixtapes were absolutely out of this world.

Didn't know he had a falling out with Drake, interesting stuff. 

1 hour ago, Zacko said:

Those first few mixtapes were absolutely out of this world.

Didn't know he had a falling out with Drake, interesting stuff. 

From what I’ve read he co-wrote on Take Care, some of the more notable tunes on there too, and Drake was running with signing him to his record label (hear a lot of OVO XO in those earlier songs). Think the Weeknd wanted to be his own artist and turned down the offer which led to them going separate ways for a few years. 

The songs they did feature on together were great too, Crew Love, The Ride and The Zone.

I remember being pissed when Weeknd dropped out in 2013 (?). I did think Beauty Behind the Madness was an amazing album, thought Starboy okay but now he seems stuck in that musical rut? Those 2 albums worked I think because they were progression (for him), but he seems to have stalled.

A massive next album though with some "mainstream" hits and he could theoretically headline. Don't think he's got any links to the festival though and sure they aren't short on headliners planned.

I've not read the thread yet so an uninformed guess for 2021:

Arctic Monkeys

Elton John

The 1975

7 hours ago, StevieGed said:

I remember discovering him when listening to Take Care by Drake in 2011 and thinking there’s definitely something special about him. Without sounding like a righteous twat his earlier house of balloons trilogy stuff is above and beyond everything else that followed. He then had a public falling out with Drake and went on into the pop world and done pretty well but now just seems to churn out top 10 stuff which strayed away from his earlier work.

I remember hearing his cover of dirty Diana and thinking he could be the next big thing. He’s huge still but don’t think he’s a typical Glasto headliner. Similar to Frank Ocean at the minute in stature and repertoire I’d say.  

Frank > Weeknd tho.

he played Coachella not long after the 3 mixtapes, his first ever US gig, and the set was full of those tunes, playing on the 2nd/3rd stage with the sun setting, absolutely amazing. Used to be on youtube but it's gone now. Haven't been that mad about most of his stuff since then, far too sugary and forgettable.

e: video here:  https://www.dailymotion.com/video/kYlPvvHaKVTtwG2YkCg

Setlist:

High for This

D.D. / The Birds, Pt. 1

Rolling Stone

Gone

Crew Love (Drake cover)

What You Need

The Zone

The Party & the After Party (includes elements of What You Need)

The Knowing

Outside

The Morning

House of Balloons / Glass Table Girls

Wicked Games (Acoustic)

Edited by ghostdancer1

14 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Gunna dip in and say

Dave, Madonna, George Ezra

I’d be fine with that to be honest. Three solo artists again but that’s not really a point.

Highly doubt Dave is one already pencilled in though. If they genuinely have three pencilled in it will probably be a “can’t do 2020 but I can do 2021” sort of arrangement.

I feel more confident that R&L will get Dave instead of Glasto.

On 2/20/2020 at 2:13 PM, StevieGed said:

Frank > Weeknd tho.

weekdn wishes he was anywhere near franks level. frank is on another planet.

edit: however, weekend would be more suited to glasto headliner. theres no way people would get franks set.

Edited by TiZuff

Agree with others here re: Dave’s showmanship. His Other set last year was really quite dull, music aside. Loved the album and he seems a nice fella, but when it comes to stage presence, Stormzy he ain’t.

I’m not expecting to see him this year, personally. I suspect he’ll have another album probably late 2020 and could headline Other or sub the Pyramid in 2021. 

5 hours ago, kalifire said:

Agree with others here re: Dave’s showmanship. His Other set last year was really quite dull, music aside. Loved the album and he seems a nice fella, but when it comes to stage presence, Stormzy he ain’t.

Brit Awards says otherwise.

Anyone on an upward career trajectory has the opportunity to up their game year on year in terms of stageshow. Its just up to them whether or not they take the opportunity to do so.  The Stormzy show I saw in the Sonic was wholly different to what he topped the Pyramid with.

46 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Dave isn't headlining next year. No way.

I remember people saying the same about Stormzy.

24 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Dave isn’t getting booked off the back of that performance. Emily said she had three pencilled in at the NME awards which happened before the Brits.

I just think the timing of it would be weird, and I reckon Dave is a better shout for R&L next year anyway.

What if R&L get Travis Scott? Where do you see Dave ending up, Wireless?

6 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

What if R&L get Travis Scott? Where do you see Dave ending up, Wireless?

Do you think R&L wouldn’t have two rap headliners in the same year? I think it’s guaranteed eventually.

I thought rage would be a booking which would sell out and show that reading can book older rock acts but I think I’m slowly getting proven wrong. They will listen to the feedback twitter give them and what the ticket sales say.