2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

10 hours ago, StevieGed said:

He is absolutely bloody huge, but the gut feeling is that he’ll never make that final step up. 

I was there, massive and a great singalong, ideal sub on a sunny evening at the Pyramid. Just don’t think he ever makes the cut for headliner. 

I don’t mind him either, he’s harmless with harmless tunes, I just don’t see the next album being anything bigger or better than what’s he’s already done which will see him plateau at his current level of popularity.

Think same will happen with Sam Fender, Gerry Cinnamon, Lewis Capaldi etc. It’s a difficult step to make one man and his guitar shtick. Look at the rise of Jake Bugg as discussed elsewhere, Paolo Nutini (who out of all mentioned in this post I rate quite clearly above and beyond them all), James Bay, Hozier, Jamie T, Tom Odell etc etc. Although some of these may be a lot more than one man and his guitar I’m just looking at past examples where buzz was there but yet they all reached a certain height and never returned to break through that ceiling. 

Albeit I’d say Ezra is and was bigger than the rest of that list at this stage, maybe Capaldi aside, I just don’t see him joining the Ed Sheeran  bracket. 

Im also shit at this stuff so Ezra for Friday night pyramid 2021!

Agree with all of this. Ready to be proven wrong as I do often am, but I don’t see him getting the headliner gig. 

51 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Agree with all of this. Ready to be proven wrong as I do often am, but I don’t see him getting the headliner gig. 

Yep its a really good layout post of it all. Agree with most of it but I do think they'll give him a shot if the first single sells/is as popular as shotgun/Budapest which means I think he'll be on the 22' line up on the back end of a pretty big tour. 

11 hours ago, StevieGed said:

He is absolutely bloody huge, but the gut feeling is that he’ll never make that final step up. 

I was there, massive and a great singalong, ideal sub on a sunny evening at the Pyramid. Just don’t think he ever makes the cut for headliner. 

I don’t mind him either, he’s harmless with harmless tunes, I just don’t see the next album being anything bigger or better than what’s he’s already done which will see him plateau at his current level of popularity.

Think same will happen with Sam Fender, Gerry Cinnamon, Lewis Capaldi etc. It’s a difficult step to make one man and his guitar shtick. Look at the rise of Jake Bugg as discussed elsewhere, Paolo Nutini (who out of all mentioned in this post I rate quite clearly above and beyond them all), James Bay, Hozier, Jamie T, Tom Odell etc etc. Although some of these may be a lot more than one man and his guitar I’m just looking at past examples where buzz was there but yet they all reached a certain height and never returned to break through that ceiling. 

Albeit I’d say Ezra is and was bigger than the rest of that list at this stage, maybe Capaldi aside, I just don’t see him joining the Ed Sheeran  bracket. 

Spot on!

12 hours ago, StevieGed said:

He's also completely fucking shit. As bad as it gets.

Also, don't even mention him and Sam Fender in the same sentence. That's like saying eating your own dandruff is like fillet steak. I'm not saying Ezra is the meaty one either. 

Edited by Superscally

47 minutes ago, Superscally said:

He's also completely fucking shit. As bad as it gets.

Also, don't even mention him and Sam Fender in the same sentence. That's like saying eating your own dandruff is like fillet steak. I'm not saying Ezra is the meaty one either. 

So Ezra is better than Sam Fender? Bit harsh on Fender I think he's decent and is selling out arenas now too despite only having 1 album. 

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Selling them out but not showing up to them.

That was his academy shows but the point still stands, he is now fulfilling them to be fair to him. He responded to some stick on Instagram about cancelling shows something along the lines "i'm really sorry about that but I've rescheduled them as quick as possible but if you knew why I kept getting sick maybe you wouldn't be so quick to judge"  Doesn't sound like he's in the best of health anyway. 

Just now, Doug85 said:

That was his academy shows but the point still stands, he is now fulfilling them to be fair to him. He responded to some stick on Instagram about cancelling shows something along the lines "i'm really sorry about that but I've rescheduled them as quick as possible but if you knew why I kept getting sick maybe you wouldn't be so quick to judge"  Doesn't sound like he's in the best of health anyway. 

Yeah it's a flippant comment on my part, it's well known he isn't in rude health.

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yeah it's a flippant comment on my part, it's well known he isn't in rude health.

Went to see him last night and he did apologise for fucking people about. Also said he was having a bit of a bad time and would let everyone know why soon to explain. You could tell he was genuinely apologetic.

Amazing show as well. You definitely can't bracket him in with Ezra. 

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I feel like the Weeknd is one of those acts who is genuinely to expensive and probably not someone the festival would consider as a headliner.

To me he isn’t exciting at all. Maybe I’m bias.

I remember discovering him when listening to Take Care by Drake in 2011 and thinking there’s definitely something special about him. Without sounding like a righteous twat his earlier house of balloons trilogy stuff is above and beyond everything else that followed. He then had a public falling out with Drake and went on into the pop world and done pretty well but now just seems to churn out top 10 stuff which strayed away from his earlier work.

I remember hearing his cover of dirty Diana and thinking he could be the next big thing. He’s huge still but don’t think he’s a typical Glasto headliner. Similar to Frank Ocean at the minute in stature and repertoire I’d say.  

Frank > Weeknd tho.