2021 Headliners

14 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Nah. Just doesn’t have the same commercial appeal as Stormzy to pull this off, and would feel like they’re just trying to pull the same trick twice. Not sure where he’ll end up come the next album, but headlining Glastonbury it ain’t. 

He doesn’t seem to be doing anything this year festival wise. Might be recording a new album. I guess we will see.

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I can deffo see Dave headlining 2021.

IF and it’s a big IF Billie is around 2021, I reckon she will be doing Stadiums, which may line her up for Glastonbury and count her out of R&L.

I think R&L might get Dave. Doesn’t stop him doing both but I reckon there’s a chance of Dave either headlining or coheadlining R&L and subbing Glastonbury. 

Edited by Matt42

17 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Not only will Dave not headline next year he wont headline of his next album. 

Some people gotta chill with who they think can headline haha

I don’t understand this either. I think peoples parameters for up and coming headliners is just very misguided. Umming and ahhing about newer artists on a clear trajectory, but open to smaller acts becoming headliners who are clearly past their peak... such as... nah I’m not gonna say it.

The success of Stormzy’s second album should at least signal that newly successful artists are not always just flash in the pan.

• Upvote 1

Also I think some people forget that Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon, The Killers first headlined on much less than Billie Eilish, Stormzy, Lizzo etc have now.

Arctic Monkeys were fresh out of the womb when they first headlined. Kings of Leon headlined BEFORE sex on fire. I think there’s a bit of collective cultural amnesia that goes on with the 00s bumped up headliners. 

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Also I think some people forget that Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon, The Killers first headlined on much less than Billie Eilish, Stormzy, Lizzo etc have now.

Arctic Monkeys were fresh out of the womb when they first headlined. Kings of Leon headlined BEFORE sex on fire. I think there’s a bit of collective cultural amnesia that goes on with the 00s bumped up headliners. 

Matt you are missing the point those were up and coming bands. Real bands with real instruments and real haircuts and therefore proper music.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

As much as I like Dave, I just can't imagine it happening. Stormzy has hits (Shut Up, Big For Your Boots) and brought showmanship to his performance which I can't imagine Dave doing. Stormzy also has a large media presence which Dave is only just growing now.

Which is why I think R&L will get Dave first. I think Dave will headline Glasto in the future, but he’s probably a better shout to headline R&L first.

Which is why I think R&L will get Dave first. I think Dave will headline Glasto in the future, but he’s probably a better shout to headline R&L first.

I hope so mate, it would be incredible for grime to get two headline level artists.

I think I'm only apprehensive because we've seen this happen before - in 2016 it looked like Skepta was going to break out into a whole new level of stardom but didn't manage it.

3 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I hope so mate, it would be incredible for grime to get two headline level artists.

I think I'm only apprehensive because we've seen this happen before - in 2016 it looked like Skepta was going to break out into a whole new level of stardom but didn't manage it.

Well I think Skepta kinda stopped trying to be commercial. Also he kinda stepped back from any Radio 1 / BBC support.

I think also U.K. grime / hip hop has got even bigger than it was when Skepta blew up. I think unfortunately for him Skepta just kinda paved the way for others to thrive. Just the way it is sometimes.

(also Dave’s stuff has been liked by critics more than Skepta’s releases).

39 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

KOL still had three albums before they headlined and were critically acclaimed indie darlings. It was a booking akin to Arcade Fire.

Sex on Fire didn’t come until album #4.

Edited by Hugh Jass

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

KOL still had three albums before they headlined and were critically acclaimed indie darlings. It was a booking akin to Arcade Fire.

Sex on Fire didn’t come until album #4.

Hun isn’t this what I said? Yeah they had success before they headlined, just like all of the newbies have - but their biggest commercial success happened after they headlined Glastonbury. The average person in the street thinks of sex on fire before they think of the bucket.

Booking a clear headlining act slightly premature is within Glastonbury’s history and ethos.

Edited by Matt42

35 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

As much as I like Dave, I just can't imagine it happening. Stormzy has hits (Shut Up, Big For Your Boots) and brought showmanship to his performance which I can't imagine Dave doing. Stormzy also has a large media presence which Dave is only just growing now.

I'd say Dave has just as many well known hits as Stormzy did a couple of years ago. Funky Friday, Location, Thiago Silva are just as big as anything Stormzy had back in 2017/18.

Without trying to draw too many parallel's between the two, Dave headlining in 2021 would be such a similar trajectory to Stormzy headlining in 2019, and I could see Glastonbury making the booking. The one thing that I would agree on is that Stormzy probably has more charisma and showmanship than Dave.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Hun isn’t this what I said? Yeah they had success before they headlined, just like all of the newbies have - but their biggest commercial success happened after they headlined Glastonbury. The average person in the street thinks of sex on fire before they think of the bucket.

Booking a clear headlining act slightly premature is within Glastonbury’s history and ethos.

No, you said that KOL headlined with less than what Billie Eilish or Lizzo have now. Which is clearly bollocks. KOL had three albums and had subbed the Pyramid a few years before. They had built their way up to that point.

What happened afterwards is irrelevant.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

No, you said that KOL headlined with less than what Billie Eilish or Lizzo have now. Which is clearly bollocks. KOL had three albums and had subbed the Pyramid a few years before. They had built their way up to that point.

What happened afterwards is irrelevant.

I’m talking in terms of mainstream success. Not the amount of albums they have. I’m talking hits.

• Downvote 1

Stormzy was bigger this time 2 years ago than Dave is currently and most of us here were very curious if he could pull it off. 2nd album or not. 

Theres people who dont think Billie will headline despite her selling out multiple dates at the O2 on her 2nd time round on the same album. 

This is also coming from the forum that had genuine discussions if the 1975 or foals could headline. 

I dont think he will blow up within the next 6 months for him to headline next year.

Remember Emily has said 3 are already pencilled in I doubt one of them is Dave.

I’m talking in terms of mainstream success. Not the amount of albums they have. I’m talking hits.

KOL were a slow burner, they rose to the top through gathering a dedicated fan base by releasing three quality albums. They’re the exact opposite of Billie Eilish who has become huge off the back of one massive album.

Arctic Monkeys are a much better example of your point.

I just don’t see George Ezra ever headlining it. Nowhere near the appeal a la Ed Sheeran. 

Think he’s just going to be boxed into the position he’s in now. Unless he breaks out wider than the UK and has a big single/album elsewhere. 

Headline TRSMT, Kendall, Latitude etc. But never the big G. I.e. Foals.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This argument makes no sense. They can't have been more popular/a better booking than a certain artist is now because they went on to become bigger? The only relevance is where they were at that time.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The amount of music they have is hugely relevant to creating a set-list worthy of a headline slot (and length) though. But what Hugh said above is fair.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Arctic Monkeys are a much better example of your point.

In terms of the instant phenomenon, yes. But it still exceeded Billie's hype even now (in the UK at least, not globally) and there were multiple songs off that first album that were absolutely massive - watch that set for evidence, look at the crowd belting out every word. Not only that, they also had a second album out a couple of months before they headlined (Matt said about Billie right now) which had already generated more big tracks.

3 minutes ago, StevieGed said:

I just don’t see George Ezra ever headlining it. Nowhere near the appeal a la Ed Sheeran. 

Think he’s just going to be boxed into the position he’s in now. Unless he breaks out wider than the UK and has a big single/album elsewhere. 

Headline TRSMT, Kendall, Latitude etc. But never the big G. I.e. Foals.

Really? He’s bloody huge!