2021 Headliners

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Because Courteeners aren’t in any way comparable to Billie. Newer artists such as Billie, Ezra, Lizzo etc can achieve great things but they get labelled as ‘flash in the pan’. I just don’t like it. People are just weirdly critical of popular artists and I don’t get it.

You were talking about users being too easy to wind up..?

4 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

You were talking about users being too easy to wind up..?

They are easy to wind up because they can’t take any sort of criticism that their dislike or minimal knowledge of current popular music might be an indication that they are out of touch. I’m out of touch with what’s big in hip hop at the moment — I can proudly admit that without fucking crying about it.

I usually look at the wireless lineup every year and I haven’t heard of most artists. I don’t really keep up with grime or anything from that genre. I would never think of saying that those artists aren’t big, deserve their spot, or not worthy of headlining just because I don’t know them. Or that they need another album to be playing the venues or slots at major festivals that they get. There’s nothing wrong with admitting areas of music you’re out of touch with. Vice versa to download, I’m unfamiliar with most metal bands these days but I would never sit and say that some of them don’t deserve to headline or play big slots at download just because I don’t know much about them.

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Garrett_Salas said:

whether billie eilish or lizzo are flash in the pans or not - glastonbury doesn't really have much of a track record of bumping up artists that quickly.

Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon, Stormzy, Mumford & Sons.... say hello.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

They are easy to wind up because they can’t take any sort of criticism that their dislike or minimal knowledge of current popular music might be an indication that they are out of touch. I’m out of touch with what’s big in hip hop at the moment — I can proudly admit that without fucking crying about it.

I usually look at the wireless lineup every year and I haven’t heard of most artists. I don’t really keep up with grime or anything from that genre. I would never think of saying that those artists aren’t big, deserve their spot, or not worthy of headlining just because I don’t know them. There’s nothing wrong with admitting areas of music you’re out of touch with. Vice versa to download, I’m unfamiliar with most metal bands these days but I would never sit and say that some of them don’t deserve to headline or play big slots at download just because I don’t know much about them.

Stopped reading this halfway through cos you missed my point - you seem just as wound up as anyone else about all this.

Just now, Garrett_Salas said:

whether billie eilish or lizzo are flash in the pans or not - glastonbury doesn't really have much of a track record of bumping up artists that quickly.

Stormzy.

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Stopped reading this halfway through cos you missed my point - you seem just as wound up as anyone else about all this.

I wish there was an easier way to express my tone in my posts. Most of the time I’m typing a comment I’m smiling and enjoying a debate. I’m not here furiously tying away in anger.

29 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

And thank god we’ve got users on here which comfortably say who will never headline or get to that level or make ridiculous comparisons.

Mate, you spent months strongly asserting that Foals will never headline. You are the person that does exactly this the most.

Edited by The Martini Police
  • Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon, Stormzy, Mumford & Sons.... say hello.

Not that I particularly want to be involved in this one...but weren't you leading the calls that a certain 2019 headliner didn't have enough new material to play the slot? 

It's obviously impossible to say how any currently popular act's future albums will go down, if they will be deemed worthy of a bump up, and if it their ensuing set would then go down well. I'm not sure that necessarily makes people out of touch.

Edited by Sasperella

16 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I usually look at the wireless lineup every year and I haven’t heard of most artists. I don’t really keep up with grime or anything from that genre. I would never think of saying that those artists aren’t big, deserve their spot, or not worthy of headlining just because I don’t know them. Or that they need another album to be playing the venues or slots at major festivals that they get. There’s nothing wrong with admitting areas of music you’re out of touch with. Vice versa to download, I’m unfamiliar with most metal bands these days but I would never sit and say that some of them don’t deserve to headline or play big slots at download just because I don’t know much about them.

image.png.bf0ba1f0a2ce1590342b6c4e1e7b26e9.png

17 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Mate, you spent months strongly asserting that Foals will never headline. You are the person that does exactly this the most.

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Asserting that foals will not headline and saying that an artist who is headlining festivals across the globe will headline are not the same thing.

but yeah Il put down the shovel. I do think though that you intentionally try not to understand the wider picture of the points I make and go for cheap jabs. You also refuse to think whether I could be saying something in jest.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Christ alive hahah

I still stand with my point that there is sometimes unfair belittling of younger artists who are doing better than artists who have been around for a long time. I just think that sometimes this forum can be a huge echo chamber and detached from what the mass attendees of glasto (and most festivals for that matter) actually want and find exciting.

The biggest echo chamber on here is you and your endless crusading for causes that only exist in your own head.