Glastonbury 2020

Hugh Jass

18 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Just out of interest how did you become involved in the bins 🗑? Is it through recommendation type thing ? Or did you have to apply with a cv of previously painted oil drums 🛢? 

Personally I  applied 3 years in a row to get in before I was lucky enough to get a place last year ,  I didn't know anyone that was already on the team ,  its a full  application form with details of why you want to do it (you explain why) . what you can bring to the team .  who you know that is already is in the team , can you spend that amount of time on site (the full two weeks Mon-Fri pre festival)  doing physical work from 9-5 each day in all weathers and you enclose details and examples of your artwork . The team and reserves are selected before tickets go on sale .

1 hour ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Personally I  applied 3 years in a row to get in before I was lucky enough to get a place last year ,  I didn't know anyone that was already on the team ,  its a full  application form with details of why you want to do it (you explain why) . what you can bring to the team .  who you know that is already is in the team , can you spend that amount of time on site (the full two weeks Mon-Fri pre festival)  doing physical work from 9-5 each day in all weathers and you enclose details and examples of your artwork . The team and reserves are selected before tickets go on sale .

Thankyou ...  its another thing id considered although looking at those bins they are amazing bits of art and im not sure my creative skills would hit the criteria , I presume you just create the ideas from your heads when onsite then ? or are you given particular briefs to work to depending on the area of the festival they go ? are you given a time per bin ? .... Anyway nice one on the persistence in getting in ... I love them if you couldnt tell :) 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Thankyou ...  its another thing id considered although looking at those bins they are amazing bits of art and im not sure my creative skills would hit the criteria , I presume you just create the ideas from your heads when onsite then ? or are you given particular briefs to work to depending on the area of the festival they go ? are you given a time per bin ? .... Anyway nice one on the persistence in getting in ... I love them if you couldnt tell :) 

It all depends what field you are working on for that day/half day. Everyone also has to base paint, which means using wire gloves/brushes to brush off the rust and then base paint, then at some point then bins get painted after the base has dried . Some fields have colour schemes and themes , and some have more vague ideas and it changes each year. As an example T&C last year all the bins were red, black, yellow or blue and all were T&C themed (anything of your choosing) whereas West holts the theme was something like 'no borders / one nation' -, with base colours of red, green, yellow and black = Silver Hayes was Bollywood, Other stage was space,  unfariground were all lime green bins with a particular stencil (all the same) and Shangri La were black bins with a yellow recycling symbol (all the same). If its not a stencil then yes you only fnd out the theme as you are go to work in that area and you get going Bins have to be done quickly - and sometimes there is a time limit and other times you are given time to do better ones,  It all depends where you are working that day, how many there are to do before the end of the day etc. We also paint all the fire poles within the camping areas and the cv fields (you've probably never even noticed them ) and the stone benches - so its hard hard physical work and an awful lot to get through within 2 weeks in all weathers. (but I loved it)  , if it rains too much the paint washes off so you're going ultra quick before the next shower hits  or wheeling the bins under the minimal cover that's around etc to try to keep them dry before it washes off. That's all the volunteer team, there is also the 'professional' team where they are on site for a few months and do the most amazing works of art for certain areas - so the bins are a  lovely mix of the two :-)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

It all depends what field you are working on for that day/half day. Everyone also has to base paint, which means using wire gloves/brushes to brush off the rust and then base paint, then at some point then bins get painted after the base has dried . Some fields have colour schemes and themes , and some have more vague ideas and it changes each year. As an example T&C last year all the bins were red, black, yellow or blue and all were T&C themed (anything of your choosing) whereas West holts the theme was something like 'no borders / one nation' -, with base colours of red, green, yellow and black = Silver Hayes was Bollywood, Other stage was space,  unfariground were all lime green bins with a particular stencil (all the same) and Shangri La were black bins with a yellow recycling symbol (all the same). If its not a stencil then yes you only fnd out the theme as you are go to work in that area and you get going Bins have to be done quickly - and sometimes there is a time limit and other times you are given time to do better ones,  It all depends where you are working that day, how many there are to do before the end of the day etc. We also paint all the fire poles within the camping areas and the cv fields (you've probably never even noticed them ) and the stone benches - so its hard hard physical work and an awful lot to get through within 2 weeks in all weathers. (but I loved it)  , if it rains too much the paint washes off so you're going ultra quick before the next shower hits  or wheeling the bins under the minimal cover that's around etc to try to keep them dry before it washes off. That's all the volunteer team, there is also the 'professional' team where they are on site for a few months and do the most amazing works of art for certain areas - so the bins are a  lovely mix of the two 🙂

Thanks for the detailed response ... and believe it or not I do notice most of the small creative touches .... Ive worked outside on the vineyards in NZ in all temperatures and weathers ranging from minus 2 to 35 ... so not afraid of hard work and weather ... its fascinating stuff and im sure theres a great team and camaraderie doing them ... something to consider in the future for me I think .... 

3 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

It all depends what field you are working on for that day/half day. Everyone also has to base paint, which means using wire gloves/brushes to brush off the rust and then base paint, then at some point then bins get painted after the base has dried . Some fields have colour schemes and themes , and some have more vague ideas and it changes each year. As an example T&C last year all the bins were red, black, yellow or blue and all were T&C themed (anything of your choosing) whereas West holts the theme was something like 'no borders / one nation' -, with base colours of red, green, yellow and black = Silver Hayes was Bollywood, Other stage was space,  unfariground were all lime green bins with a particular stencil (all the same) and Shangri La were black bins with a yellow recycling symbol (all the same). If its not a stencil then yes you only fnd out the theme as you are go to work in that area and you get going Bins have to be done quickly - and sometimes there is a time limit and other times you are given time to do better ones,  It all depends where you are working that day, how many there are to do before the end of the day etc. We also paint all the fire poles within the camping areas and the cv fields (you've probably never even noticed them ) and the stone benches - so its hard hard physical work and an awful lot to get through within 2 weeks in all weathers. (but I loved it)  , if it rains too much the paint washes off so you're going ultra quick before the next shower hits  or wheeling the bins under the minimal cover that's around etc to try to keep them dry before it washes off. That's all the volunteer team, there is also the 'professional' team where they are on site for a few months and do the most amazing works of art for certain areas - so the bins are a  lovely mix of the two 🙂

Thanks for the insight into all the work that goes into painting the bins. It’s obviously hard work but also a labour of love! Also sounds as if there’s a great amount of job satisfaction and cameradrie. 

75FF0920-DA56-4BE9-8069-2B992175C7F6.jpeg.50ac701117bfad19a84bd18a4fa5b1b8.jpeg

love this one from last year! Also noticed that a bin had escaped and was sitting in the grounds of the pilton tithe barn last August!! 

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Thanks for the insight into all the work that goes into painting the bins. It’s obviously hard work but also a labour of love! Also sounds as if there’s a great amount of job satisfaction and cameradrie. 

75FF0920-DA56-4BE9-8069-2B992175C7F6.jpeg.50ac701117bfad19a84bd18a4fa5b1b8.jpeg

love this one from last year! Also noticed that a bin had escaped and was sitting in the grounds of the pilton tithe barn last August!! 

some bins escaped and attended my friends stag night in 2009 ... with permission of course 

IMG_0049.jpeg

• Upvote 1